Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:05:55 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Watching scary movies with your kid may make things worse « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Watching scary movies with your kid may make things worse  (Read 3488 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 21, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33402802/ns/health-kids_and_parenting//

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »

My kids watch horror movies with me all the time but we mostly sit around and mock them. They don't have nightmares or unhealthy fears caused by them. So I would think the way parents handle it has something to do with this as well. Watching one to be scared with your kid might give the kid a sense of heightened fear because they see their parents afraid of the same thing. At least it's what I think. Granted I'm a bit odd and my kids may of inherited that quirkiness as well. When most people jump out of fright, I am grading the special effects on how cheesy it appears. My kids seem to do the same thing.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
3mnkids

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »

My kids watch horror movies with me all the time but we mostly sit around and mock them. They don't have nightmares or unhealthy fears caused by them. So I would think the way parents handle it has something to do with this as well. Watching one to be scared with your kid might give the kid a sense of heightened fear because they see their parents afraid of the same thing. At least it's what I think. Granted I'm a bit odd and my kids may of inherited that quirkiness as well. When most people jump out of fright, I am grading the special effects on how cheesy it appears. My kids seem to do the same thing.

Ditto. I have always watched "scary"movies with my kids.  I am terrified of the exorcist so I thought yep, Im going to scare the crap outta them and let them watch it. They laughed, laughed their asses off in fact. I was near tears when she comes down the stairs in a back bend and blood is coming out of her and they were laughing. go figure.  Lookingup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »

Ditto. I have always watched "scary"movies with my kids.  I am terrified of the exorcist so I thought yep, Im going to scare the crap outta them and let them watch it. They laughed, laughed their asses off in fact. I was near tears when she comes down the stairs in a back bend and blood is coming out of her and they were laughing. go figure.  Lookingup

Hey, the Exorcist is one funny movie!  BARFBARFLETJESUSF***YOUBARFBARFb***hc**tBARFBARF

I don't have kids, but I wouldn't hesitate to let them watch horror movies if I did.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:51 AM »

Hey, the Exorcist is one funny movie!  BARFBARFLETJESUSF***YOUBARFBARFb***hc**tBARFBARF

BounceGiggle TeddyR

My parents had a rule with watching scary movies on TV ~ we watch it with you and if anything upsets you or anything happens that you don't understand, we'll explain it to you.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »

I firmly believe that children experience media (movies, books, etc.) in a qualitatively different manner than adults. The experience is much more immediate, and they don't necessarily have the separation between reality and entertainment that adults eventually learn. We eventually see so much crap we become inured to it. Luckily for children, they are not.

The first horror movie I ever saw was Children of the Corn, which is an awful movie. I remember being terrified by that lump making its way through the cornfield. Downright silly, now that I look at it.

I may have ingested too many scary things as a kid, but I wouldn't trade any of those sleepless nights for anything. They are some of my favorite memories. I'm not saying you should let your children watch everything, but let them get scared silly every once in a while. It's a valuable experience.

I think that what scares adults is different than what scares kids. What scared me as a kid? Monsters. The things that scare me as an adult are a lot more nebulous and true to life. Your kids aren't going to like to see you scared. You're the bedrock; it's a lot harder to laugh something off if your parents are just as scared as you are.

Anyway, in reference to Where the Wild Things Are, there's a bit where the main character expresses anxiety at the idea that the sun is going to die (a true thing). A woman behind me told her child as soon as that was said, "It won't." Who's the protection for?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

BounceGiggle TeddyR

My parents had a rule with watching scary movies on TV ~ we watch it with you and if anything upsets you or anything happens that you don't understand, we'll explain it to you. Then they went out one night and I watched the creepy TV movie Baffled! with Leonard Nimoy and Susan Hampshire on my own ~ when they returned, I was a gibbering wreck.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Watching scary movies with your kid may make things worse « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.