Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:06 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959): PADDY CHAYEVSKY fans: have you seen it? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959): PADDY CHAYEVSKY fans: have you seen it?  (Read 1823 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: November 22, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »

MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959): PADDY CHAYEVSKY fans: have you seen it?  This is the story of a lonely widower 56 year old businessman, FREDRIC MARCH, who begins an affair with his 24 year old office receptionist, KIM NOVAK, falls in love with her, becomes engaged, and the hostile response of both their families.  Restrained as necessary for 1959, CHAYEVSKY's screenplay is magnificent, candid and mature; these characters may not understand themselves or their troubles, but we do.  The screenplay reveals... well, all.  Though there are one or two moments of contrived stagy symbolism (MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT was first a TV show then expanded to a stage play starring 26 year old GENA ROWLANDS opposite EDWARD G. ROBINSON - imagine that??) this film was just riveting. 

I had thought FREDRIC MARCH's greatest performance was in INHERIT THE WIND, but the performance he gives in  MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, impossibly, surpasses even that portrayal.  We see all facets of emotion and passion, from giddy lovesickness, to agonizing despair to creeping jealousy... WOW. 

I enjoy several of KIM NOVAK's films, a couple are favorites, and always enjoy watching her; her great beauty, and the often sexy nature of roles she took, made me underrate her acting until I sat through MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.  She was really quite effective. 

Eerily relevant ALBERT DEKKER (best known to genre film fans for DR. CYCLOPS) in a small but key role, illustrates the worst case scenario: a man who knows his lecherous drunken philandering merely masks but does not fill the yawning hole at the center of his life, and being in a PADDY CHAYEVSKY screenplay, verbalizes it marvelously. 

Other faces I recognized were MARTIN BALSAM and LEE GRANT, both grappling with their own troubled marriages and bitterness.  Yep, this one gets very tough, remarkably moving, that by the end I saw myriad resolutions but was unconsciously begging for the one they chose.   Thumbup 

Has anyone see this flick?  Saw it this afternoon on TCM.  So glad I checked it out (it was the live shots of 1959 New York streets that open the film that grabbed me) I have only seen it once, so would feel foolish attempting to describe that it was also interestingly and beautifully shot, staged, and framed. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »

I don't know that I count as a Paddy fan per se, but I certainly enjoyed his "institutional" black comedies THE HOSPITAL and NETWORK.  This sounds more like a straightforward drama, not my favorite genre by a long stretch, but of course you have to love anything if it's well done. To answer your question I haven't seen it;I'd probably catch it if I happened to be watching TV and noticed it was on. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959): PADDY CHAYEVSKY fans: have you seen it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.