Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:49:00 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Remake vs Original « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Remake vs Original  (Read 12028 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »

+ King Kong (2005) over the original King Kong.

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!

Buggedout The horror! The horror!

Easy there!  Just because I like the newest verison of the original, doesn't mean I hate it!  I like both equally and enjoy them.  I just slightly like the newest one more.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

The Blob (1958) > The Blob (1988)
The Fly (1986) > The Fly (1958)
The Thing From Another World (1951) > The Thing (1982)
War of the Worlds (1953) > War of the Worlds (2005)
The Time Machine (1960) > The Time Machine (2002)
King Kong (1933) > King Kong (2005) > King Kong (1976)
Island of Lost Souls (1933) > Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) > Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) > Body Snatchers (1993)
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) > Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1993)
Invaders From Mars (1953) > Invaders From Mars (1986)
Donovan's Brain (1953) > The Brain (1962)
Gojira (1954) > Gojira (1984) > Godzilla 2000 (1999) > Godzilla (1998)
The Lodger (1944) > Man in the Attic (1953)
Nosferatu (1922) > Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
Night of the Living Dead (1968) > Night of the Living Dead (1990)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932) > Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) > Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
Phantom of the Opera (1925) > Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Rear Window (1954) > Rear Window (1998)
Mystery in the Wax Museum (1933) > House of Wax (1953)
Ju-on: The Grudge (2002) > The Grudge (2004)
The Man WHo Knew Too Much (1934) > The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
The Mummy (1932) > The Mummy (1959) > The Mummy (1999)
The Parent Trap (1961) > The Parent Trap (1998)
Zatôichi kenka-tabi (1963) > Zatôichi (2003)
Halloween (1978) > Halloween (2007)

Aside from Zombie's Halloween, I like all those films to some extent. I have yet to watch the remakes of Planet of the Apes, Manchurian Candidate, Friday the 13th, House of Wax (2005), Amityville Horror and several others.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »

I think very few remakes are worth your time, unless they take the original story idea and attack it from their own angle. Examples of this are THE THING and THE FLY, which are qualitatively different than the original. When they try to tell the same story again, just updated for "modern" audiences they are usually just pointless (and rarely done better). Even then, most of them are not done well. Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES is a great example.

I liked Savini's update of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, but other than better special effects, the original is still much more powerful.

I'm not saying they are all bad. Just that most of them are.

Also, for those who decry the remake of FRIDAY THE 13TH: Yes, it was bad, but the nudity level in that movie was leagues and away better than any movie previous. Shallow, I know, but it's the truth.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!

Well, SOMEBODY had to like it.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »

Frankenstein (1910) than the 1932
phantom of the Opera 1925 than the 1943

yeah no.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

phantom of the Opera 1925 than the 1943

Good call . . . and both are better than the Herbert Lom version from the 1960s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!

I actually agree.  I really like both (the original was one of my favorite films growing up, and was what inspired my continuing love of stop motion), but I do like the remake more.  In fact, King Kong was my favorite film of 2005. 

Sorta related, but I keep hearing people online talk about Jackson's King Kong as if it were hated by virtually everyone, ala Gigli or Catwoman or something.  Well, on the IMDB it has a 7.6, Metacritic has it at an 8.1, and on Rotten Tomatoes it's at 83%.  So, that's obviously not true. 

On another note, Godzilla, Godzilla 1984, and Godzilla 2000 are part of a series.  The only remake is the American version.

There are several versions of The Chinese Connection.  Fist of Legend is probably the most famous.  I'm not really a big fan of either film, honestly, but I feel Fist of Legend is the most overrated kung fu film in history - it's only decent.  Overall, I like the original film better.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »

The Man WHo Knew Too Much (1934) > The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

The remake was way better, even Hitchcock himself said it was.

Rear Window (1954) > Rear Window (1998) > Disturbia (2007)

I didn't like it as much as the original though.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »

Good topic.

The remake of the The Hitcher was terrible. Nothing can outdo Rutger Hauer's performance in the original.

A less obvious one. City of Angels (1998) with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan was a godawful ripoff of a sublime German film by Wim Wenders, Wings of Desire (1987). I wholeheartedly believe Hollywood wanted to pass it off to the gullible general public that this was an original idea.

Possible upcoming remake. Arthur, starring Russell Brand. I like Russell Brand, but please I hope this project falls through. Who the hell could possibly pull off the character of Hobson like John Gielgud?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 02:27:01 AM »

A less obvious one. City of Angels (1998) with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan was a godawful ripoff of a sublime German film by Wim Wenders, Wings of Desire (1987). I wholeheartedly believe Hollywood wanted to pass it off to the gullible general public that this was an original idea.

Heh, forgot about that one.  I thought the Nic Cage film was bland as hell with a real cop-out of an ending, but I still liked it more than Wings of Desire, which I found to be one of the most boring films I've ever seen, despite its gorgeous cinematography and Peter Falk (the best thing about the film).  So, City of Angels wins by a hair. 

It's a perfect example of Hollywoodization at work though.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »

The Wicker Man < Remake

Yes, I am being dead serious, the original's hokey atmosphere completely pales to the edgier Nic Cage version.

...Kidding.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »

Yes I do prefer the original The Man Who Knew Too Much...granted it's mostly because of Peter Lorre.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

The Wicker Man < Remake

Yes, I am being dead serious, the original's hokey atmosphere completely pales to the edgier Nic Cage version.

...Kidding.

I almost cried. DON'T DO THAT!!!

::gasp::

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

Black Christmas - the original is one of my faves, but the remake was putrid.
oh my god that remake was CRAP. maybe even the worst film I've ever seen, haha.

Dawn Of The Dead - love the original, but the remake was kinda meh.
I have absolutely no desire to see the Friday The 13th remake, the My Bloody Valentine remake, NOES 2010, etc., etc. It's kind of a cliche thing to say, but to me, remakes just taint the greatness of the originals.
I liked the remake of MBV. didn't get to see it in '3D' just on DVD on normal tv screen, thought it was better than the original. very good gore.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!

I actually agree.  I really like both (the original was one of my favorite films growing up, and was what inspired my continuing love of stop motion), but I do like the remake more.  In fact, King Kong was my favorite film of 2005. 

Sorta related, but I keep hearing people online talk about Jackson's King Kong as if it were hated by virtually everyone, ala Gigli or Catwoman or something.  Well, on the IMDB it has a 7.6, Metacritic has it at an 8.1, and on Rotten Tomatoes it's at 83%.  So, that's obviously not true. 

On another note, Godzilla, Godzilla 1984, and Godzilla 2000 are part of a series.  The only remake is the American version.

There are several versions of The Chinese Connection.  Fist of Legend is probably the most famous.  I'm not really a big fan of either film, honestly, but I feel Fist of Legend is the most overrated kung fu film in history - it's only decent.  Overall, I like the original film better.

High ratings for Peter Jackson's "King Kong?" Then read "Monster Rally" by Edward Robinson, as there is an essay in it  by S. Michael Wilson called "A Giant Fall: a Critical Look at Peter Jackson's 'King Kong.'" A big fan of Jackson's earlier films, he points out, that this version of the film is too long. Too bloated. Spends too much time on minor characters. Has too much speechifying. Spends too much time one pointless foreshadowing. Has too many scenes that just slow down the pace of the film. All because Jackson, after "Lord of the Rings," stopped being a "filmmaker" and became an "epic filmmaker." Maybe it should have been hated by everyone.

And as in this case, looking at the critical reaction to the film versus that of the audience, (IMHO) audiences are better able to pick out a "good" film than the critics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Remake vs Original « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.