Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:13:29 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: 1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess?  (Read 66186 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures

Nirvana: Nevermind

John Lennon: Imagine

Bruce Springstein: Born in the U.S.A.

Radiohead: OK Computer

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »

I'm a bit confused. Is this list of recordings made up of whole albums, or albums and individual songs? Others are starting to guess individual songs that have been recorded too many times to count, so I'll throw these into the mix:

Dave Brubeck, "Take 5"

George Gershwin, "Rhapsody in Blue"

Glenn Miller, "In the Mood", "Pennsylvania 6-5000"

Andre Crouch, "My Tribute"

Hank Williams, "Lovesick Blues", "I'm So Lonesome, I Could Cry", "Cold, Cold Heart". Pretty much the whole Hank Williams catalog should be on here, but I'll start with these. And yes, Allhallowsday, I saw that you posted one of his albums. I wanted to, but I didn't know where to start.

and another album:
John Williams, the Star Wars soundtrack.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »

I'm a bit confused. Is this list of recordings made up of whole albums, or albums and individual songs? Others are starting to guess individual songs that have been recorded too many times to count, so I'll throw these into the mix:

I believe that yes, this list does include both full albums, as well as variouls singles that have been released.  However, it doesn't include just a certain song, but a song as recorded by a specific person, ie "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby rather than "White Christmas" by The Platters or Twisted Sister.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »

Circus: +1 for "Tommy," "Band of Gypsies," "The Sky Is Crying," and "Kick Out the Jams," -1 for "Quadrophenia," and "Texas Flood."  Net +2.

Happy: -1 for "Here's Little Richard," "All Killer No Filler," "Ray Charles (or, Hallelujah, I Love You So )", "Grease," and "Elvis Presley."  +1 for "The Marshall Mathers LP," "At Folsom Prison," "Shaft," and +0.5 for "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?," which appears on the compilation "The Doo Wop Box."  Net: -1.5

AHD: +1 for "Only The Lonely" "Graceland," and "Master of Puppets". -1 for "White Christmas," "Love Is Strange," "Rumble," "Baby It's You," "Be My Baby," "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes," "The United States Of America," "Groovin' High," "Moby Grape" "The Big Bang! Best of the MC5," "Django," "Raw Power," and "Elvis." +0.5 for "Tutti Frutti" (appears on "The Georgia Peach") "Miserlou (appears on "King of the Surf Guitar") "Who Do You Love" (appears on "Bo Diddley") "Scrapple from the Apple" (appears on "A Studio Chronicle") "West End Blues" (on "The Complete Hot 5s and 7s), and "Maybelline" (appears on "The Anthology").  +2 for "Body and Soul."  "Elvis Presley" was already guessed. Net: -5.

JAse: +1 for "Unknown Pleasures," "Imagine," and "Nevermind." -1 for "Born in the USA."  "OK Computer" was already guessed.  Net: +2.

Circus_Circus +18, Newt +10, DCA +3, Jack +2, Pilgermann +1, Doggett + 0.5, Jim H. 0, Voltron 0, Happy Gilmore -0.5, The Burgomaster -1, BTM 1-, The DarkSider -1, WilliamWeird -1, Andrew -3, xXx_JaseSF_xXx -3, Derf -4, Allhallowsday -7

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

I believe that yes, this list does include both full albums, as well as variouls singles that have been released.  However, it doesn't include just a certain song, but a song as recorded by a specific person, ie "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby rather than "White Christmas" by The Platters or Twisted Sister.

That's correct.  "Recordings" includes both albums and singles.  If you guess a single and it was on his list AS a single, I give +2.  If you guess a single and it appears as part of a compilation, I give +0.5.  If the single doesn't appear at all it's -1.

Derf: -1 each for "Take 5" (I was shocked, maybe my biggest disagreement) "My Tribute," "Star Wars" and Glenn Miller tunes (no Glenn Miller). +1 for "Rhapsody in Blue" (it counts as a classical work, not a single).  No points for Hank Williams singles since AHD already nailed "Hank Williams 40 Greatest Hits." Net: -3.

Circus_Circus +18, Newt +10, DCA +3, Jack +2, Pilgermann +1, Doggett + 0.5, Jim H. 0, Voltron 0, Happy Gilmore -0.5, The Burgomaster -1, BTM 1-, The DarkSider -1, WilliamWeird -1, Andrew -3, xXx_JaseSF_xXx -3, Derf -7, Allhallowsday -7
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:48:48 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Hey, REV, aren't ya glad you started this thread?   Wink 

I'm SO glad that I started this thread that I'm bringing it to an end tomorrow!  I'll give you guys 24 more hours, until 9 PM Eastern Standard time tomorrow, to get in your best bets.  There are a couple of recordings I thought would be fairly obvious that still haven't been named.

I don't see anyone catching Circus. 

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »

Hmm well perhaps digging myself a further hole but some personal faves here (I find myself coming back to these again and again):

R.E.M.: Document (seems as though there may be no R.E.M. album on there though?)

R.E.M.: Murmur

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Green River

Rage Against the Machine: Rage Against the Machine

The Misfits: Static Age

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

Walk Among Us by The Misfits (I'd kinda be shocked if they made the list, and shocked if they didn't)
The C.D. Version of the First Two Records by Bikini Kill
Surfer Rosa by The Pixies
1984 by Van Halen (may have been mentioned?)
Like a Virgin by Madonna
O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
No Fences by Garth Brooks

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »

Jase: +1 for "Murmur."  -1 for "Document," "Rage Against the Machine," "Static Age" and "Green River." Net: -3.

Happy: +1 for "O Brother." -1 for "Walk Among Us," "The C.D. Version of the First Two Records," "Surfer Rosa," "Like a Virgin," and "No Fences."  1984 was already mentioned (not on the list) so  I won't deduct a point. Net: -4.

Circus_Circus +18, Newt +10, DCA +3, Jack +2, Pilgermann +1, Doggett + 0.5, Jim H. 0, Voltron 0, The Burgomaster -1, BTM 1-, The DarkSider -1, WilliamWeird -1, Andrew -3, Happy Gilmore -4.5, xXx_JaseSF_xXx -6, Derf -7, Allhallowsday -7

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »

Metallica- one
metallica enter sandman
Soundgarden black hole sun
nirvana smells like teen spirit

yeah no.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2009, 11:22:41 PM »

Well, apparently I have very different ideas than this guy of "must hear" recordings. So let's see if I can get the low score with recordings that I feel should be on the list (which means I'm not going to resort to Mylie Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers just to get obvious misses):

Nat "King" Cole: "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)", "Mona Lisa", "Ramblin' Rose"

Lisa Loeb: Firecracker

Sting: Dream of the Blue Turtles, Nothing Like the Sun

Barry Manilow: Barry Manilow II, Tryin' to Get the Feeling

Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth

Amy Grant: El Shaddai

John Philip Sousa: "The Star and Stripes Forever"

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass: Whipped Cream and Other Delights

Randy Travis: Alway & Forever, Old 8 X 10

Cab Calloway: "Minnie the Moocher"

The Mills Brothers: "Paper Doll"

Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters: Their Complete Recordings Together

The Andrews Sisters: "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree"

Leon Redbone: Double Time

Note: Album titles are italicized; song titles are in quotation marks.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2009, 01:44:16 AM »

Oh oh: I cannot be on much tomorrow, so I had better make this all one shot (I was wondering how the Rev was finding the time to tabulate results - I know I am having a hard time keeping track of what has been said)

Chris de Burgh: Spanish Train
The Byrds: Mr Tambourine Man
Alice Cooper: School’s Out
The Animals:  House of the Rising Sun
J S Bach: The Brandenburg Concertos
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Freebird
Led Zeppelin: Kashmir
The Mamas and the Papas: California Dreamin
The Who: Tommy
Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac

eta: Richard Wagner: Die Walkure
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:54:47 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
BTM

« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:21 AM »

BTM: Prepare to be surprised (I am).  There's no version of "O Fortunata" on the list.  I think that's a big mistake. -1. 

Hmm.. this guy is starting to lose credibility with me...

How about the Areosmyth/Run DMC version of "Walk This Way"?  Has to be the first time (I know of anywhere) where a rock and rap group recorded a song together. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »

Rick James - Street Songs?

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »

A couple singles/songs:
"Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano
"Der Fuehrer's Face" by Spike Jones
"Eat It" by "Weird Al" Yankovic
"My Sharona" by The Knack

Albums:
Dirt by Alice in Chains
Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me by The Cure
My Aim is True by Elvis Costello

There's a few more coming to mind but I'm off to work. Bluesad

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.