Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:19 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: 1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess?  (Read 66194 times)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »

Exodus - Bob Marley

The Score - The Fugees

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill

Alive - KISS

Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:21:12 PM by Circus_Circus » Logged

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

My final guesses:

The Traveling Wilburys: Volume I, Volume III

Spinal Tap: This Is Spinal Tap

Talking Heads: The Best of Talking Heads

Tom Petty: Wildflowers

And thanks for all the work you're putting into this game, Rev!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »

REV, that was fun, if not frustrating!   Smile 

Here's to our resident attorney:  Cheers

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »

Bull: -2 for the Metallica songs.  +0.5 for "Black Hole Sun" (on "Superunknown").  The Nirvana album was already picked by someone before you.  Net: -1.5.

Derf:-3 for the Nat King Cole songs. -2 for the two Sting albums. -2 for the Manilow albums. -2 for the Randy Travis albums. -2 for the Andrews Sisters songs. -2 for The Traveling Wilburys.  -1 each for Lisa Loeb, Amy Grant, Cab Calloway, The Mills Brothers, Bing & the Andrews Sisters, Leon Redbone, Spinal Tap, Talking Heads, Tom Petty, and Sousa (I thought that was a great outside-the-box guess!) +1 each for the Lyle Lovett and Herb Alpert albums.  The more you guess, the more you lose.  Wink Net: -21.  Buggedout

Newt: Some of those are both albums and singles, but since most of the rest are singles, I assumed you always meant the single version.  -1 for Chris de Berg, 1812 Overture, and "Kashmir." +0.5 for The Byrds (single appears on album of the same name). +1 for Brandenburg Concertos, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Fleetwood Mac, Die Walkure, and The Four Seasons.  +2 each for "School's Out," "Freebird," "California Dreaming" and "House of the Rising Son" ( Thumbup)  "Tommy" was already guessed. Net: 15.5!

BTM: +0.5 for "Walk this Way" (appears on "Raising Hell")

Circus: -1 each for "Alive" and Thin Lizzy. +1 each for Rick James, Kraftwerk, the Fugees, Lauryn Hill, and "Exodus."  Net: +3

Happy: -1 for "Feliz Navidad," Weird Al, The Knack, "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" and Spike Jones. +1 for "Dirt."  "My Aim Is True" was guessed before (not on the list but I won't take off the point). Net: -4.

Newt +25.5, Circus_Circus +21, DCA +3, Jack +2, Pilgermann +1, Doggett + 0.5, Jim H. 0, Voltron 0, BTM -0.5, The Burgomaster -1, The DarkSider -1, WilliamWeird -1, Bull -1.5, Andrew -3, xXx_JaseSF_xXx -6, Allhallowsday -7, Happy Gilmore -8.5, Derf -28.

I guess I was wrong about no one catching Circus.  One more hour to get in your guesses.  I'll be out tonight watching MNF so I won't tabulate the finals until tomorrow.

This thread was MUCH more popular than I thought it would be.  It turned into quite the hassle trying to keep score and remember what had already been guessed!  I'm glad to be of service to the board, though.  Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

One more hour to get in your guesses.

I'm at a loss for guesses at this point.  Can only think of a few and I DOUBT they'd be on it:
"Rappers Delight" by Sugarhill Gang
Licensed to Ill by Beastie Boys (although, I don't think they'd be on the list twice, although all their albums are good)
"Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum (I don't really think any of their albums would appear, but this was a big/popular song for a long time)
SMiLE by Brian Wilson
Sweet Baby James by James Taylor
The Wayfaring Stranger by Burl Ives

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »

Again, Rev, thanks for your efforts here. I must say, however, that I find any list that doesn't include the Nat Cole standards or the Andrews Sisters standards highly suspect. I know it's based on opinions, and I know many would disagree with many of my choices (mostly Manilow), but some that didn't make his list are simply required listening. Ah, well, I accomplished my goal of getting the low score. Yay me! Cheers

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

Again, Rev, thanks for your efforts here. I must say, however, that I find any list that doesn't include the Nat Cole standards or the Andrews Sisters standards highly suspect. I know it's based on opinions, and I know many would disagree with many of my choices (mostly Manilow), but some that didn't make his list are simply required listening. Ah, well, I accomplished my goal of getting the low score. Yay me! Cheers
I do gotta say, Nat King Cole should've been SOMEWHERE on that list.  I'm not gonna go out and buy the Andrews Sisters compilations, but I like some of their recordings (I do have Cole somewhere in my collection, alongside my 'punk' and "Weird Al" collections).

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »

Happy: -1 each for Sugarhill Gang, "Licensed to Ill" (Paul's Boutique was indeed the only BB album), Soul Asylum, "Smile."  +1 for Burl Ives.  "Sweet Baby James" was correct, but it had been named before. Net: -3.

Also a correction: AHD should get +2 points because "Raw Power" was on the list.  I missed it because I looked up "Stooges" and it was listed under "Iggy and the Stooges."

So the final score was:

Newt +25.5, Circus_Circus +21, DCA +3, Jack +2, Pilgermann +1, Doggett + 0.5, Jim H. 0, Voltron 0, BTM -0.5, The Burgomaster -1, The DarkSider -1, WilliamWeird -1, Bull -1.5, Andrew -3, Allhallowsday -5, xXx_JaseSF_xXx -6,  Happy Gilmore -11.5, Derf -28.

Congratulations to Newt!  Cheers

Derf: Nat King Cole did make his list.  The album was "The Complete After Midnight Sessions."  The Andrews Sisters did not, but I can't really blame him.  They were popular in their era but pretty lightweight. 

I kept waiting for one of you to suggest "Kind of Blue," the top selling jazz album of all time, or any of Beethoven's symphonies, but no one ever did.  That was kind of a surprise to me.

Here's his entire list for those who are interested: http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list/.  You can continue the conversation about what should and shouldn't have made the list if you want.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »

Thanks Rev, for all your work!  What do *you* think of the content of the original list?  Is it worth pursuing some of the suggestions?  I think I might look into some of the titles that were posted: particularly since several of the people guessing seem to have similar tastes to my own.  So, for me, this thread has become a resource in itself.  Definitely educational.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »

Thanks Rev, for all your work!  What do *you* think of the content of the original list?  Is it worth pursuing some of the suggestions?  I think I might look into some of the titles that were posted: particularly since several of the people guessing seem to have similar tastes to my own.  So, for me, this thread has become a resource in itself.  Definitely educational.

I like the list.  Of course I have some specific disagreements, but for the most part I think he did a great job of keeping everyone happy.   If I was making such a list I probably wouldn't put any pop, rap or metal on it, since I don't like even the best stuff from these genres.  I would have added more classical.  But every list like this is going to be controversial and he did a good job.

As far as disagreements go, I noticed that he picked 6 Beatles albums, more than any other artist (except maybe Beethoven, since he cheats by counting a box of all 9 symphonies as one recording).  I would have held the Beatles to 5, or even 4.  (I'd probably keep "Revolver" and ditch "Rubber Soul."  I'm not crazy about "A Hard Days Night" but I think he felt he had to balance all the late albums with one early one). 

I was surprised when, not only did Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" not even make the list, but he actually dissed Brubeck's chops in another album entry!   

For Led Zeppelin he picked "II," which is my least favorite of the first 4 albums.  (He also chose "How the West Was One," which I haven't heard).

I think Pink Floyd could have landed 2 albums instead of just one.  I might have added "Wish You Were Here."

One thing about the book is that for each selection he also chose 3-5 noteworthy/similar albums to go along with it.  A lot of your choices ended up as honorable mentions. 

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »

Here's his entire list for those who are interested: http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list/.  You can continue the conversation about what should and shouldn't have made the list if you want.

Wait a mintute! You're telling me that it was online the WHOLE freakin' time!  Bluesad

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

Happy: -1 each for Sugarhill Gang, "Licensed to Ill" (Paul's Boutique was indeed the only BB album), Soul Asylum, "Smile."  +1 for Burl Ives.  "Sweet Baby James" was correct, but it had been named before. Net: -3.

Happy Gilmore -11.5,

Eh, I have a horrible score but I had fun.  Really figured that at least SMiLE would be on it.

Glad to see old Burl showed up.  Love Burl Ives, but took a chance cause I figured he wouldn't be on it.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »

Wait a mintute! You're telling me that it was online the WHOLE freakin' time!  Bluesad

Well, you didn't need me to tell you that, Google could have told you the same thing.  Wink  But it would have ruined the game to link the list and put everyone on the honor system.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »

Well, you didn't need me to tell you that, Google could have told you the same thing.  Wink  But it would have ruined the game to link the list and put everyone on the honor system.

But, I COULD have cheated and then I would have won! Waah, waah!  TeddyR

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1000 recordings to hear before you die - how many can you guess? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.