Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:33:17 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The heck with Starship Troopers, having my own war with the Bugs « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The heck with Starship Troopers, having my own war with the Bugs  (Read 10518 times)
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« on: November 06, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

I am at war with the bugs. Well not the really giant ones from the Starship Trooper movie but the terrestrial kind. Since this summer, I have been having problems with insects in my home. I am sick of calling exterminators because they seem to fail to control them so I am now at a war of genocide with them. This past summer was one of the worst  I have ever experienced in the South for houseflies. Everyone has had to deal with a Biblical like plague of them this year and supplies to get rid of them are in high demand.
We hung fly strips in out home and I swear they were covered with in a matter of a few days. Got fly swatters as well but I swear when you kill one, two more rise to take it's place. Needless to say they are a huge pain to deal with. I spend half my day going about on long fly hunts in an attempt to eradicate them. Worse still, I can not find where they are coming from. I don't have anything rotting or foul that they would grow in. I don't have any dead bodies hidden in my attic or basement, nothing dead or decaying outside my home either. No food left out for them to feed on and nothing that would attract them in the massive droves they seem to be coming into my home at. Also I make sure everyone is washing themselves and stuff is getting flushed down. So I have no idea where they are breeding and how they are getting into my home. All I know is we have an Amityville Horror amount of them we have already killed and they still keep coming.
To make matters worse, now with it getting cooler at night, we are now dealing with our yearly ant invasion. Every year we have to deal with ants trying to move in for the winter months and setting up housekeeping. They come in through any opening they find and start running trails. We spray for these and they still come in. Needless to say it's making me a wee bit nuts right now between fighting the flies and now ants.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »

Its a two front war... We have an ant infestation.  Little guys looking fro food.  Its a real pain

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »

If you don't have pets or little kids, there is this stuff you can buy that you just put a drop or two on little squares of cardboard. The ants go bonkers over it and eat it and coat themselves in it. They carry it back to the nest and die, the other ants eat them and they die and so on and so on. Soon, no ants.

It used to have arsenic in it and it worked wonders. It still works but it takes longer now. Can't remember the name, but Walmart used to sell it about a year or so ago. Haven't looked for it since.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »

If you don't have pets or kids, Terro is the best stuff I have ever used against ants.  It's sugar water with Borax mixed in.  The ants drink it up, take it to the colony, and they disappear soon.  If you have kids or pets, finding a spot to put the Terro bait at is the pain - although we've asked poison control about the stuff and it would take a lot to even make a child sick from it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »

If you don't have pets or kids, Terro is the best stuff I have ever used against ants.  It's sugar water with Borax mixed in.  The ants drink it up, take it to the colony, and they disappear soon.  If you have kids or pets, finding a spot to put the Terro bait at is the pain - although we've asked poison control about the stuff and it would take a lot to even make a child sick from it.

That's the stuff I was talking about. Couldn't remember the name.
Cthulhu

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »

I've had my fight with ants this summer. I bought ant-traps, and that helped.
But before that, they were EVERYWHERE. Those little *******.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »

The ants are not the biggest problem we have. We fight them every year when it gets cold and have become rather efficient at ant fighting. But these flies are another story. I am seriously considering buying black market nukes form Russia just to get rid of them. I can't figure out where they are coming from.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »

Nukes are a bad idea. It won't kill them; it will just make them bigger and hungry for meat.  Buy a crap-load of frogs.
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »

Didn't you have a small zoo of animals?  I used to have bug problems until I started getting cats.  Since I've had cats, I have literally barely seen any living insects in my home that aren't being actively pursued by one or more cats.  And the more cats I get, the more scarce the bugs are.  A fly came in my room at night last year and my cat, Santa Claws, was sleeping by my head and just sat up and caught it in his mouth like it was nothing.  Maybe you need some good huntin' cats.

My sister gets ants every year too and insists that lining the doorways and cracks or any other opening with bleach stops them from coming in.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »

Cats have amazing reflexes.  "Cat like" if you will.  My cat will just casually reach a paw in the air and swat a bug mid-flight. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »

My cat is a deadly foe of all pests and unfortuantely the avian population.  He has more deaths under his collar than most mob hitman. 

As for ants, we have a vicious battle in the spring around March-May.  He had a contract with an exterminator but quite frankly they did not a whole lot.  We too use Terro traps now which seems to clear up the population for extended periods of time. The key is finding where they are most likely to be and laying one or two traps in their path. 

As for flies, we deal with those little bastard drain flies at work.  Summer sees hundreds flocking in from the dumpsters outside.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »

We don't have many pesky bugs in my area . . . just the occasional house fly or moth.  Even though we may only get a dozen flies or fewer in the house over the course of an entire spring and summer, we (and especially my wife) find them to be very annoying and must kill them quickly!  Last month when we were in Brazil, my wife bought a tennis racquet that is really a bug zapper.  You plug it into the wall to charge it, then you swing it at flying bugs.  If you hit them, they get zapped by an electrical charge.  You could make a game out of this . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BTM

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

Bummer... I know how you feel about the ants, I have that problem on occasion in my apartment.  The other pest here is cockroaches.  Yeah, cockroaches.  USUALLY I don't see too many, but I usually one or two of them scurry around about every day or three.  Sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes in the bathroom.  I'm able to squash them sometimes, but other times they're too fast for me.  

We can get our apartments sprayed for free every month, but they always seem to come back... I think they're just migrating from one apartment to another and back when the spray wears off.  

(sigh)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:52:12 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:07:01 AM »

We've got those Japanese Beetles, the ones that look like lady bugs.  A few always manage to get in the house.  Last night one of them was in the blinds, which are aluminum.  He make quite a little noise flapping his wings against those things.  Twice in two days I walked into the kitchen and one of them fell off the ceiling and landed on my head.  My hair must look like a nice place to set up ladybug housekeeping? 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

Reading all this makes me feel a lot better about the blowflies that are always buzzing around my rear end.  Buggedout Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The heck with Starship Troopers, having my own war with the Bugs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.