Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:38 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Warhammer 40k « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 7550 times)
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 07, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »

I know that there was another thread with with the same title, but it was old, and it was under the "bad movies" forum, so I thought that I'd start an other one here.
I've ordered the Assault on black reach starter set from the UK. I'm going to play orks. TeddyR
Who else plays Warhammer on this site? Andrew, how are your tyranids? TeddyR

Also, I need some help. Do I need Citadel foundation paints? Or can I use multiple coats of a darker color as an undercoat?
Can I substitute Orkhide shade with multiple coats of Dark angel's green?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

My Tyranids are doing good, though I still haven't finished painting many of them - including the highly converted Carnifex whose nickname is Shoggoth:

Gamera is fully painted, and still a serious infantry destroyer:

I like the Citadel paints a lot and have good luck with them as long as I thin them a bit with water.  I like to use gray Model Master primer on my figures though. 

For Orks, I'd say you'd be great painting them any shade of green (or even other colors) as long as it's consistent within squads.  I like to paint my figures the same color as their primary, give them a wash with an ink, and then highlight from there.  The Tyranids are meant to look like a comic book army with strong contrasts.

There are quite a few good websites to check out people's armies and color schemes to get ideas.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »

Wow, Gamera looks really cool. Great job! Thumbup
Cthulhu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »

I've just got my Assault on black reach set!

Will update on my progress.(I mean painting.)
venomx
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »

If there a website with a list of all those figures/characters? They look really cool. Thumbup

I had the pc game years ago - Dawn Of War.
Cthulhu

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »

If there a website with a list of all those figures/characters? They look really cool. Thumbup

Well, the closest thing to that is this. I think:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat1290027&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k
Click to the Warhammer 40,000 armies section, and you'll findwhat you're looking for.
It isn't really a list, but every race/army is represented, and there's quite a lot of pictures of them. I hope that helped. Thumbup
Cthulhu

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:18:04 AM »

Got my assault on Black reach set a few days ago. Thumbup
I'm painting my "training" ork. Will report back about my progress. TeddyR
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »

Games Workshop normally puts out a big print catalog of their miniatures.  It's the size of a phonebook.   They do have a big selection of images online for all of the different armies.  Here's a link to the Tyranid (the army I play) HQ unit page:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1020010&rootCatGameStyle=

You can check out the other armies by using the navigation menu on the left.

There is also a painting board on 40K Online, which a lot of people use to post their painted figures.

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=19.0

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »

Still painting.. I need some brown paint. Also, some washes.
Andrew, do you have any tips for painting eyes? I can't get it right.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »

Hopefully what I do works for you.  I have no formal artist training.

Thin your paint with water and use a tiny brush that is cut down to just a few bristles (I use an x-acto to carefully remove all but a few) that are not very long (shorten them with the x-acto if needed).  Use the table for support under your hand and use both hands to steady yourself as you carefully paint them.  For small eyes it usually takes me two coverages with the thinned paint.  I paint it on, let it dry, then paint the second coat on.  Then just a tiny spot of black (or your choice of pupil color) for the eyes.

Thinning your paint with water takes a little trial and error to get it right.  It does make a world of difference when you have the consistency right.

Except for the dollop, you are not painting with the tip.  You are painting with the side of the bristles near the tip.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »

Hopefully what I do works for you.  I have no formal artist training.

Thin your paint with water and use a tiny brush that is cut down to just a few bristles (I use an x-acto to carefully remove all but a few) that are not very long (shorten them with the x-acto if needed).  Use the table for support under your hand and use both hands to steady yourself as you carefully paint them.  For small eyes it usually takes me two coverages with the thinned paint.  I paint it on, let it dry, then paint the second coat on.  Then just a tiny spot of black (or your choice of pupil color) for the eyes.

Thinning your paint with water takes a little trial and error to get it right.  It does make a world of difference when you have the consistency right.

Except for the dollop, you are not painting with the tip.  You are painting with the side of the bristles near the tip.
Thanks, I'll try it! Thumbup
Cthulhu

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 03:53:19 AM »

Just a quick question: How much am I supposed to thin the paint? If I thin it too much it'll be too runny, and I can't control it.
Oh, and also I suppose I don't have to thin washes, right?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:23:04 AM by Cthulhu » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »

I use an eyedropper to add small amounts of water and stir with a cheapo brush (the artificial ones work great) until it's the right consistency.  If you have not picked one up yes, get a painter's pallet from an art store.  I like the metal (aluminum) ones the best, since I can clean them vigorously if needed. 

You take some paint out of the bottle with a cheapo brush, add it to a spot on the pallet, then thin it to your needs.  If you have to walk away for a while, you can cover that depression on the pallet with a small piece of plastic wrap to cut off airflow to the paint and it will not dry out.  I've left paint in a pallet for days like that, took off the plastic wrap, stirred it with a cheapo brush, and been ready to go again.

I have thinned washes on occasion, but not normally.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:10 AM »

Thanks again!
I'll post some pictures of my ork as soon as it's ready!
Cthulhu

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:12:46 AM »

Well, my ork is finished. Sorry for not posting any pictures sooner, but I had a little problem with the camera.

I think the skin is too homogenic. It needs more highlighting.
What do you think?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Warhammer 40k « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.