Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:53 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Over the Top « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Over the Top  (Read 24013 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »

Guest review by Circus Circus.  This movie will prove to you that arm wrasslin' is a serious sport that is played by tough men who sweat and scream a lot.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »

This is certianly an odd film.  I'm guessing that this is the only arm wrestling movie around.

Twelve-year-old boys can learn to a drive trucking rig in under 5 minutes.

Really?  Man, I should have tried doing that when I was that age.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:50:54 PM »

I remember watching this movie and thinking that Sly should only have one huge arm. BounceGiggle  This is because of the way he had his work out machine set up.  I liked this movie, it was cool.  I remember the one guy drinking Penzoil or Quakerstate.  WOWOWOWOW.  Worth a watch on a wintry afternoon.

Later,

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
King Kool
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

Anyone else remember that skit on SNL when Sly hosted and Norm MacDonald was in car wreck and Sly came to his aid?  All Norm did was rip on his movies..."What were you thinking when you made Over The Top?  You had to arm wrestle a guy for custody of your son for Christ's sake!  When you script were you really running around going I got a winner here?!" 

Hilarious.
DavidFullam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »

I really wish that Sly had tossed that brat kid under the wheels of the truck!
justin
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »

Well, at least I can say this is the best arm-wrestling movie ever made!  TeddyR

Its a good old slice cheese that I still enjoy watching although I am glad that kid who played Sly's son won the razzie cause he really got on my nerves.   Hatred TongueOut

I'm not afriad to admit that I actually have the soundtrack for this movie as well.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »

Cheers Andrew!  Drink

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »

Thumbup Great review Circus! Cheers Though I cannot get the video to work. Bluesad

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
yannick35
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »

How could this movie not be gold, at that time everything stallone did was Gold for sure, he was so popular.

He could have done a movie about bullriding and it would have made millions.

If it would have been made in the mid 90 where Stallone had some huge issues getting back into the box office then that might have been a flop.

The movie is very good if you can turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is, plain entertainement.

they never tested the competitors in arm wrestling they where all on steroids LOL
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37:01 AM »

It's a testament to how little I paid attention to the basis of movies when I was a kid (I was born in '78).

Of course there are big-budget, glitzy arm-wrestling championships! And of course these are aimed at truckers, why not?

All I know, is that if I'm ever arm-wrestling, all I need to do is turn my trucker's cap around to let them know I mean business. The end is obvious from the beginning.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »

I guess Sly was trying to do for professional arm wrestling what Rocky did for boxing. and failed miserably I might add.

I do however like the Sammy Hagar songs that were done for this movie.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

Torgo, the funny thing is that the ONLY thing I remember from this movie (which I have seen several times, once in a theatre) is the Sammy Hagar Theme song. 
"Winner takes it all, loser takes a fall, time to take it over the toooop"

Great job Circus. 
=Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
DarkWolfe
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:18:51 PM »

Seriously, did they really have to make a toy line for this movie?

For some strange reason, i remember this "Over the Top" mini arm wrestling table for kids. Can't say I ever played with it. Mainly because even as a kid, I thought it was stupid. I even remember, albeit vaguely, seeing a commercial on a Saturday morning for that strange toy.

Oh and don't forget the action figures.

I wish I could find some pics for those toys, because I remember them being very poorly made but very funny to laugh at.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

http://www.action-figures.ca/catalog_pages/sears1986USp558.htm

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »

This is certianly an odd film.  I'm guessing that this is the only arm wrestling movie around.

Twelve-year-old boys can learn to a drive trucking rig in under 5 minutes.

Really?  Man, I should have tried doing that when I was that age.

Actually, there is somewhere around 79 different films, of various types, about arm wrestling. What makes this film unique is it is only one of three films about arm wrestling contests. There is also "Il Casanova di Federico Fellini" from 1976 and the Swedish documentary "Armbryterskan fram Ensamheten" from 2004. It is about the town of
Solitude in northern Sweden and 1ts sixteen inhabitants. All of whom share one passion, and that is their love of arm wrestling.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Over the Top « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.