Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:57:42 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I just bought Cannibal Holocaust........ « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I just bought Cannibal Holocaust........  (Read 4609 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:33 AM »

............I've heard so much about it but never seen anything of it, as it's been banned here up until recently. The running time says 92 minutes.

What am I in for?  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »

Hmm.  Some very dull moments early on, a couple of moments with the natives that touch on being emotionally satisfying..  Some pretty disgusting and effectively brutal real violence against animals..  Then a truly grueling ordeal of a found footage horror story, almost two decades before the Blair Witch Project made the rounds. 

It's kind of interesting, I think if the found footage stuff was re-edited into a short movie, with maybe some black text introductions and intertitles, it'd be one of the best (or worst, depending on your POV) horror films of all-time. 

The stuff in the city with the other people and the early bits with the guy looking for the footage are just not nearly as good.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »

I saw this on VHS many years ago and didn't think it was anything special.  But I bought the DVD anyway and I still don't think it's anything special.  Not sure what all the hype is about.  I think CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) is more shocking and entertaining.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

in my opinion it is realy one of the greatest movies ever.  I'm not the biggest horror guy, and various elements of it are not the greatest like the acting or whatever but overall it is a real hurricane of a movie, despite the animal cruelty which is a little more authenticity than I personally needed
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »

I saw this on VHS many years ago and didn't think it was anything special.  But I bought the DVD anyway and I still don't think it's anything special.  Not sure what all the hype is about.  I think CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) is more shocking and entertaining.

Really?  I found Cannibal Ferox to be dull, plodding, and a pretty blatant ripoff of Cannibal Holocaust.  Not to mention the score of Ferox was bland, whereas the score of CH is good.  The main theme in particular is a fitting counter-part to what happens on screen.

Small | Large
voltron

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »

the found footage segment was interesting, but overall, the movie felt a bit too slow for my tastes. the "turtle" scene was pretty gruesome, though.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

Really?  I found Cannibal Ferox to be dull, plodding, and a pretty blatant ripoff of Cannibal Holocaust.  Not to mention the score of Ferox was bland, whereas the score of CH is good.  The main theme in particular is a fitting counter-part to what happens on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8

The first time I saw CANNIBAL FEROX was in the theater at a midnight show (under the alternate title MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY).  Everyone in the theater was really into it . . . it was like we were all friends enjoying a movie together.  I bought the DVD a few years ago and enjoyed it just as much.  Oddly enough, I find CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST to be dull and plodding . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:49:15 AM »

How brutal would you say it is? I wanted to see it, but I just don't have the guts to do that, and I'm 16 years old. I don't want to see it if it's something like Snuff.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »

I love some blood and guts in a horror movie, but this one, I found just a little off-putting.  Specifically the animal killings.  When it comes to both animals AND humans on the screen, when it's real death just for a movie, I have a problem with that.  The human killings were of course fake, but it was done in a way that made it look very realistic, and also disturbing, to me. 

I think I'd have a hard time watching this film again.  As for Cannibal Ferox, I stopped the disc in the middle of the movie, because the word "ripoff" rang in my head too many times. 
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 05:07:41 AM »

I watched it over the weekend and was impressed mostly by the theme tune ~ I don't think that Riz Ortolani watched the film before composing the music ~ great score.  TeddyR

The animal violence ~ yuk: I could have done without seeing that.  Buggedout

The footage entitled The Last Road To Hell ~ yikes!  Buggedout

The human violence ~ fake, but very realistic indeed.

Trevor's reaction: worth the money (it was a bare-bones DVD, no extras and no pun intended) but I don't think that it lives up to its' hype. A good film though.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »

Both Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox are very entertaining flicks.  After all the hype I had read about them, neither one was as over-the-top violent/gory as I was expecting.  I watched them both without knowing or thinking about which one came first, so I had no bias about one being a "rip-off" of the other, and I remember definitely liking Cannibal Ferox better.  I also don't think they were similar enough (except for the titles) to care about whether or not it was a "rip-off."

Cannibal Apocalypse is another fun one.  And it has a storyline that is very different from either of the aforementioned films.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:40:12 AM by the ghoul » Logged
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »

I actually liked the setup part of the film where the anthropologist is trying to find out what happened to the filmmakers more so than the found footage. Maybe it seemed a little more genuine to me in the context with the interactions and negotiations with the natives.

Of course going by the first half it would have been a rather run of the mill jungle exploration film (animal killings and rape scenes notwithstanding), until the revelation of what actually happened to the lost filmmakers, and the subsequent footage. As repulsive as I found some of it, one cannot deny the impact of the last half hour of the film has.

Deodato's mistake is in trying to make a statement about who the real cannibal's in society are, and at the same time using actual violence against animals to get that point across. You can't have it both ways, and while those scenes may have given the film a legitimacy in some circles that special effects can never duplicate, imo it undermined whatever valid criticism he was going for and simply became exploitation. I think Cannibal Holocaust is actually a well made film, especially compared to some of its contemporaries, but it is not one I care to see again.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »

Deodato's mistake is in trying to make a statement about who the real cannibal's in society are, and at the same time using actual violence against animals to get that point across. You can't have it both ways, and while those scenes may have given the film a legitimacy in some circles that special effects can never duplicate, imo it undermined whatever valid criticism he was going for and simply became exploitation. I think Cannibal Holocaust is actually a well made film, especially compared to some of its contemporaries, but it is not one I care to see again.

This point is underlined by the turtle scene, which is endlessly dragged out and has incredibly sad music.  As if to say, "LOOK AT WHAT THEY'RE DOING!! IT'S AWFUL!".  Which, of course, came across as a little ludicrous since the scene was created for this fictional film.  The scene really is stating, "Look at what I'm doing!  I'm so awful!!".  Somehow, I don't think that's what Deodato wants us to think.
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »

The animal violence ~ yuk: I could have done without seeing that.  Buggedout

yes, the scene of the turtle is shocking. In this time, there werent's laws against animal abuse on movies.

If you have seen blair witch project you will notice that the (blair witch directors) COPY scenes of cannibal holocaust...

my favourite scene is when the CEO of the TV says, watching the videos of the journalist, "this is why people want to see" (I saw it in spanish).

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »

i watched google video. its ok, but overrated and not as bad as i thought it would be, it has a good soundtrack though.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I just bought Cannibal Holocaust........ « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.