Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:58 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words or phrases unique to your family « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Words or phrases unique to your family  (Read 10306 times)
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »

My most recent ex-gf and I would fill any awkward silence with one of us saying, "So, ah...Manos, the...Hands of Fate..."
BounceGiggle Saucer that is beautiful!  (She sounds like 'a keeper': None of my business but what did she do for you to let her get away: eat crackers in bed? )

She actually dumped me due to a number of factors, including that it had become a long-distance relationship, our differing schedules made communication difficult, she was joining a sorority that I was scared of because I'd seen it effect complete personality changes, almost akin to brainwashing, on its initiates (and yes, it happened to her as well), and she had friends who were telling her I was no good. 

But, on the other hand, she and I didn't have too much in common, her father didn't like me, disliked a lot of her friends, her dogs hated me, and she was kind of a rebound girlfriend after things deteriorated with a truly amazing girl a couple months earlier. 

I wouldn't have dumped her though...for one thing, she's a much better shot with a rifle than I am.

meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »

"It makes people ask questions. Works, doesn't it." - A phrase we use in my family as a response when someone starts asking what something does when it is obvious of the object's function.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »

"I'm just going to talk to Mugabe."

That is our family's phrase for saying that the person is en route to having a humungous poo, using the name of the "much loved" Zimbabwean State President as a target.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »

I wouldn't have dumped her though...for one thing, she's a much better shot with a rifle than I am.

Buggedout Buggedout TeddyR

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »

My dad had a few colourful expressions that used to crack my friends up, but none of them can be repeated here.

My dad does have something of an unusual accent. Sort of a regional thing from where he grew up, I suppose. Predominantly rural area (even more so in the 30s and 40s) a couple of hours north of where I grew up. In some ways, it is the classic hoser accent. "About the house" sounds a little like "aboat the hoas." But there's more to it. For example, the days of the week are "Mundy, Choosdy, Wensdy, Tursdy, Fridy, Sairdy and Sundy." You park your car in a "gradge." And when your clothes are dirty, it's time to "warsh" them.

Myself, I've started coming up with my own verbal peculiarities. I'm not sure why, but my cursing has gotten much more creative. I think in some ways, the usual overused swear words just don't get the point across like an angry mixture of euphemisms and baby talk. Or maybe it's just a combination of trying not to swear and really needing to. The most common one is "Friggin' poo!" And then there's "Son of a monkey!" or "Son of a hoo-ha!" Don't ask me how I came up with these, but they seem to have found their way into my everyday cursing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »

Flabb-o

it's flabb-o time

it means nothing
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »

me, my brothers, and our parents, any type of remote control is known as a "clicker thing". stemming from a remote control we had for the tv years ago which made a loud clicking sound when you pressed any button.

also when my younger brother was about 5 he asked , "if you fall in electric water, do your reflections disappear?". he can't possibly have known what he was eally saying, not that the question even makes sense, but he still gets teased about it 20+ years on...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

My family started using this one some time in the late 80s. Whenever somebody asked for something they could just as easily get for themselves, the response was "You got a piano tied to your ass?" It still gets used occasionally when we're together.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »

My family started using this one some time in the late 80s. Whenever somebody asked for something they could just as easily get for themselves, the response was "You got a piano tied to your ass?" It still gets used occasionally when we're together.

I was eating when I read that ~ still choking, still coughing but still laughing.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »

'ello love, do you love Spam
oh, love

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »

"Okay, terrific!- kind of a random sarcastic phrase thrown out whenever someone says something completely bizarre/offensive that kinda halts a conversation, said to kill the silence. 

Mamaluke- essentially, it means 'moron.'

There's plenty others but most can't be repeated here.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »

WEINER TROLL-When I was a little kid,my older brother Mike would jump up at random and say-Lets do the Weiner Troll Dance!!!" And we would commence to holding hands and running in a circle yelling-"Weiner troll! Weiner troll!" Yes-it's the irrelavent madness of kids.
BONE HAWK-Self explanatory.As in-"Whatta bone hawk."
ASTROID-as in a fart.
YIPPY SKIPPY-As in-"Time to go to AA!"  "Oh-yippy skippy."
HIBBITY JIBBITY-Family slang for intercourse.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

My family used this one too . . . but mostly when a lot of my old Italian relatives were still alive . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »

A phrase I use at work with some friends: You want a free blanket? or just muttering the words free blankets.
Basically a reference to the smallpox blankets and clothing given to the Natives back when settlers showed up here in America.  Mentioned during a conversation with my Mexican friend who is p**sed off at Columbus.  I mentioned the blankets to him and he started laughing when I told him we gave them free blankets.  So every day when I walk into work, he just looks at me and goes "You bring me any free blankets today, Italiano?"

My family used this one too . . . but mostly when a lot of my old Italian relatives were still alive . . .
So, you're the other person who knows that word.  I mentioned to about 100 people and NOBODY had any idea what I'm talking about.   TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:40 AM »

How words get adopted and passed around is fascinating: there has to be an interesting story behind why "mameluke" went from referring to a Turkish slave-soldier Muslim convert, to "moron".  Or is it just a coincidence?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words or phrases unique to your family « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.