Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:17:30 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Warner Launches DVD2BLU Program « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warner Launches DVD2BLU Program  (Read 5667 times)
hellbilly
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »

"Warner Home Video has announced that they have launched a new program which allows owners trade in their Warner DVD titles for Blu-ray upgrades for as little as $7.95. To take advantage of the program, owners will be required to identify which titles they want to upgrade through the DVD2Blu site, and then mail-in their DVD discs to show proof of ownership. In 4-5 weeks they will receive Blu-ray copies of those same titles.

Dorinda Marticorena, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Marketing and High Definition, Warner Home Video, commented, "DVD2Blu is a great way for consumers to start or expand their Blu-ray Disc collection. We're launching the program with a wide range of titles that will appeal to a broad audience. In the coming months, we're looking to expand the program and make additional titles available."

The program works similar to Warner's previous Red2Blu program which allowed HD DVD owners to trade in their discs for Blu-ray versions. Upgrade prices range from $7.95 to $9.95, depending on the titles selected, and will include free shipping with any order over $25 (a prepaid label is provided to mail in your DVDs to Warner). Currently, there are over 50 titles eligible for this upgrade program, with more being added in the weeks to come.

To participate, please visit DVD2Blu.com and start upgrading to Blu-ray!"

source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3749

SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »

To tell you the truth, that's not a bad idea.  I don't know too much about Blu-ray (partly because I can't afford it) but this seems pretty good.

I don't know if this is already out, but if the Blu-ray players could also play DVDs.  I mean if I had a couple thousand DVD collection, I wouldn't want to convert them all to Blu-ray.  That would be pretty expensive, and plus, they wouldn't all be in Blu-ray yet.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »

Not a bad deal, makes life a lot easier for collectors! Thumbup ...I wonder if they are OK with sending in inferior-edition releases though, cardboard cases and all... >.>

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
hellbilly
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:19:30 AM »

I don't know if this is already out, but if the Blu-ray players could also play DVDs. I mean if I had a couple thousand DVD collection, I wouldn't want to convert them all to Blu-ray.  That would be pretty expensive, and plus, they wouldn't all be in Blu-ray yet.

Standard DVDs can be played on a Blu-ray set. Blu-ray actually upscales your standard DVDs for a higher resolution display. In other words, the Blu-ray player makes your regular DVDs look so much better. Of course you need a HDTV LCD or plasma set first.
I won't be replacing all of my DVDs to Blu because that would be impossible and too expensive. However, there are many sweet deals and prices are dropping on Blu-ray discs. For example, I bought Carpenter's The Thing brand new on blu for under 10 dollars at a convention, and sold the DVD special edition for $12. Needless to say Carpenter's classic is a feast for the eyes in HD.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:20:59 PM by hellbilly » Logged
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

I've become a proponent for Blu-ray since taking the leap a few months ago.  My wife and I decided to get a plasma TV and Blu-ray player on a bit of a whim since there was a 3 years with no interest deal at Best Buy at the time and we decided we could swing that.  It really does make a big difference, and those who say otherwise couldn't have really watched a good high-def film transfer.  It really makes for a more cinematic and enjoyable viewing of films.

Anyways, I like this idea that Warner Bros. has, and the fact that they pay for the shipment of your discs is cool (and you can keep the old DVD cases).  I would complain that I could've traded my DVDs of The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Aviator but I got those new for under $10 a piece on Blu-ray.  Many of these movies that they're offering can be found for the same price or less in many stores or online retailers, so one has to be careful.

I'd like to get Dark City but I have the first DVD release, not the director's cut...I wonder if they'd accept that one?

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »

For example, I bought Carpenter's The Thing brand new on blu for under 10 dollars at a convention, and sold the DVD special edition for $12. Needless to say Carpenter's classic is a feast for the eyes in HD.

That would be amazing to see.  Buggedout

I want a HDTV and Blu-ray player. Bluesad
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:41:12 AM »

For example, I bought Carpenter's The Thing brand new on blu for under 10 dollars at a convention, and sold the DVD special edition for $12. Needless to say Carpenter's classic is a feast for the eyes in HD.

Blu-Ray is nice and I'd say it is overall a better experience watching films on Blu-Ray than DVD...  But I will say I've seen properly upscaled DVDs and Blu-Rays played one after the other in 1080P and the difference isn't enormous.  At least, it isn't big enough that I'm willing to pay what most Blu-Rays cost.  That, and I still don't have a Blu-Ray player.   TongueOut

Probably getting a PS3 in the next 6 months though, so I'll start getting some then.

Final note: the DVD2Blu thing is not worth it unless you're doing at least 4 at once.  Otherwise there is a minimum $5 shipping charge.  In other words, to convert a single movie would cost $13.  Even still, I think $8 is pretty pricey..  Too pricey for my blood on most films.
hellbilly
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:36:34 AM »

Blu-Ray is nice and I'd say it is overall a better experience watching films on Blu-Ray than DVD...  But I will say I've seen properly upscaled DVDs and Blu-Rays played one after the other in 1080P and the difference isn't enormous.  At least, it isn't big enough that I'm willing to pay what most Blu-Rays cost.  That, and I still don't have a Blu-Ray player.   TongueOut

Probably getting a PS3 in the next 6 months though, so I'll start getting some then.

Final note: the DVD2Blu thing is not worth it unless you're doing at least 4 at once.  Otherwise there is a minimum $5 shipping charge.  In other words, to convert a single movie would cost $13.  Even still, I think $8 is pretty pricey..  Too pricey for my blood on most films.

Out of my own experience I gotta say I haven't seen a Blu-ray that doesn't look better than the DVD version. However, there are a few fine examples of upscaled DVDs where I really question the necessarity of a blu release. But in the end it all depends on the size of your HD LCD/Plasma. The bigger your set, the more obvious the limits of a upscaled DVD because they can only do so much.
When a blu-ray is done right (and they usually are) it can be an amazing viewing experience. Army of Darkness was a real revelation in HD. Looking at Bruce Campbell's face was like viewing it through a microscope.
And there should be a law that forbids Coraline to be viewed on standard DVD  Thumbup
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:07:29 AM »

Oh, it's not that the Blu-Ray doesn't look better - I've never seen a case where it didn't.  It's just for a lot of films, it doesn't make that huge of a difference to me personally.  Source material of the film is also a consideration...  A grainy 16MM like the original Evil Dead won't be as noticeably better as, say, the IMAX scenes from The Dark Knight.

One other interesting thing to note is that 35MM is far better quality than 1080P.  I sometimes wonder if and when we'll have a home format that can approach that quality.  Not for quite a while, I'd expect.  Another 60 years though?  I doubt it.  Sadly, by then we probably won't be using physical media anymore, which means the days of me buying movies will be basically over.

Oh yeah, and I watch most of my DVDs on a screen somewhere in the 90" range.  I have a digital projector.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Warner Launches DVD2BLU Program « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.