Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:15:26 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Democracy: the God that Failed « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Democracy: the God that Failed  (Read 14749 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »

and no the government does not inspect food for disaease.  they issue guidlelines but companies often have even more strict guidlelines because they want to retain customers, not because they care about the states opinion on food safety.  

Yes they do. For both disease and quality.  In fact, IIRC, one issue left over from the Bush administration is he cut too much out of FDA inspections.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/
http://www.foodsafety.gov/compliance/inspections/index.html

Not to mention the health code at restaraunts and other places, which is related.  And yes FDA inspectors go out to these places.

At this point you might want to read about what the food industry was like in the era BEFORE the PFADA/FDA and USDA inspections.  Might I suggest The Jungle by Upton Sinclair?  Not the main point of the book, but its depiction of the meat industry is accurate for the time.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »

right and as a result of that book the companies improved standards so that customers wouldn't throw up upon eating their products.  they changed because of the consumer not because of the state.

notice that the government didn't do the study, someone in the free market did.  really it argues my point pretty well despite the governments latching on to sinclairs work with their redundent laws

do you think resteraunts would poison people if they had their way? why would they do that? they want customers. it's in their interest.

I worked at a bakery and a the health inspector did stuff like tell us we couldn't have the door open because flies would get in.  as if fresh air wasn't a quality people would wish tro have whilst browsing cookies and so forth.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »

right and as a result of that book the companies improved standards so that customers wouldn't throw up upon eating their products.  they changed because of the consumer not because of the state.

The book (and others) inspired the government to look into it, leading to the Neill-Reynolds report and the Meat Inspection Act and other government agencies.  The book itself didn't lead to any changes.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »

I don't think business could have gone on as usual after that book.  It certainly wouldn't TODAY, I don't know what things were like in the 30's.  

if people want to of their own volition pay for health inspectors that's fine.  I just can't accept the sort of fear based rationale for it.  I mean, have you ever seen that show hells kitchen?  where gordon ramseys goes to the resteraunts and tries to fix them up?  maybe it's not hell's kitchen but Gordon ramsey is on it.  those places are like toxic waste dumps, mainly because the owners don't care about them and don't put any effort into ANY aspect of the establishments operation.

related example: we had a MASSIVE security apparatus in place before 9/11 and what happened:  the beaurocrats ignored the warnings because they are beaurocrats and basically can't be fired and/or aren't subject to market forces and have concerns that only rarely coincide with what they are ostensibly supposed to be doing.  same thing with ft hood or even virginia tech (not a government beaurocracy but a beaurcracy notheless)  and they were put in place largely to police people who hate our governments foreign policy!! so we pay for the disaease and the phony cure.  but that's a whole other issue.

I don't want to have food posioning and yes I am willing to pay for a degree of assurance of that.  probably there is a ton of waste and wasted effort in that department though
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:26:01 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Democracy: the God that Failed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.