Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:23 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  3D Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 3D Movies  (Read 5335 times)
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« on: November 22, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

So I just bought Friday the 13th: Part 3 on DVD and it has the option of playing in either 2D or 3D.  It also comes with two of those thick paper 3D glasses. I tried 3D but it would not work for me.  Now I have glasses anyway because I am nearsighted and I am wondering if that would affect anything... Does anybody know if it's because of my  regular glasses, the DVD quality, or anything else? Any solutions?  Also has anybody ever had a similar experience?   Question

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »

I have this DVD, too.  The problem is the DVD quality.  They made the DVD using the red / blue (or red / green . . . I can't remember which) 3-D process, which really stinks when they try to use it for color movies (I have one or two other DVDs like this and the 3-D effects aren't very good).  Unfortunately, the 3-D process they use in theaters won't work on television screens, so we're stuck with this.  The best 3-D effects I have seen for TV are the movies that use the gray flicker-lens glasses.  I bought these glasses and a few movies several years ago and it's the closest you'll get to theatrical 3-D.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »

I have this DVD, too.  The problem is the DVD quality.  They made the DVD using the red / blue (or red / green . . . I can't remember which) 3-D process, which really stinks when they try to use it for color movies (I have one or two other DVDs like this and the 3-D effects aren't very good).  Unfortunately, the 3-D process they use in theaters won't work on television screens, so we're stuck with this.  The best 3-D effects I have seen for TV are the movies that use the gray flicker-lens glasses.  I bought these glasses and a few movies several years ago and it's the closest you'll get to theatrical 3-D.

Wow, unless you got a great discount, that rig was/is expensive.  And then you get to see cheesy movies with Ron Ford doing bad makeup effects and getting slaughtered on the screen.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »

Wow, unless you got a great discount, that rig was/is expensive.  And then you get to see cheesy movies with Ron Ford doing bad makeup effects and getting slaughtered on the screen.

I bought it several years ago, so I don't remember how much it cost.  Probably $100 or more, but I think it came with a few movies.  I think I have 4 pair of glasses.  I have cheesy 3-D movies like CAMP BLOOD and HUNTING SEASON, but I also have a couple decent ones I bought on Ebay:  HOUSE OF WAX with Vincent Price and ANDY WARHOL'S  FRANKENSTEIN.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »

Yup, Camp Blood has Ron Ford and he does some of the makeup effects and Hunting Season has him getting killed in a bit part as a bird watcher and he was also doing the makeup effects. They are truly awful movies, but I'd LOVE to see them in 3D. Just can't afford the set up to watch them.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »

Yeah, the red-blue process does not work well on colour movies. The other problem with 3-D video is the TV itself. If the hue is a little bit off, it won't filter right. Back in the 80s, there was a bit of experimentation with showing 3-D movies on TV with glasses available through the mail or at certain convenience stores. They put up a test screen every so often so you could tweak the colour if necessary. You had to adjust so that a half-blue half-white screen looked like one continuous colour through your blue filter. It's the blue that's most difficult to get right. A lot of leeway in the red, but it's so easy to get a double image if the blue is not just right.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »

Has anyone seen COMIN' AT YA! ?  I was wondering if it was worthwhile outside of the 3-d gimmick.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

Has anyone seen COMIN' AT YA! ?  I was wondering if it was worthwhile outside of the 3-d gimmick.

I have the 3-D DVD . . . the quality sucks.  The movie isn't very good either, but I've seen worse.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:47 AM »

Thanks Burgo.  I shall avoid it like a streaking Rosie O'Donnell.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »

This is a bit off topic, but sometimes it's fun to watch a 3D movie on TV without the 3D effects turned on.  Like when they show Jaws 3D on TBS or something.  Everything just looks strange because everything is jutting out at the camera with wired angles.

Haven't bought a 3D movie DVD yet, so I don't know how the glasses work.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »

I bought my daughter a copy of Fly Me to the Moon a while ago. The 3-D wasn't great, but it might improve with colour adjustment. The beauty is that with a home theatre PC, I should be able to have a profile specifically for 3-D in the display settings. Should save some fiddling.

By the way, Fly Me to the Moon is a fun movie, and Buzz Aldrin provides his own voice. Thumbup

---------------------
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

Thanks Burgomaster and AndyC!  I'm actually kind of disappointed that the problem is not my glasses. If it was I could at least get laser surgery or contacts... Oh well maybe someday a good home 3D system will be released.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

Thanks Burgomaster and AndyC!  I'm actually kind of disappointed that the problem is not my glasses. If it was I could at least get laser surgery or contacts... Oh well maybe someday a good home 3D system will be released.

The system with the "flicker lenses" (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the real name of the system) is actually pretty good.  But the glasses aren't cheap and there are only a small number of movies available (and you need to search to find them).

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »

Apparently, there is going to be a 3d blu ray player in the works.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »

The system with the "flicker lenses" (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the real name of the system) is actually pretty good.

That's field-sequential 3-D. Red-blue is anaglyph 3-D. As I understand it, the big disadvantage of field-sequential is it uses image interlacing, which is fine for a CRT set but problematic if you have LCD or plasma.

On the plus side, there seem to be more and more titles available on DVD for both kinds of 3-D.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  3D Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.