Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:05 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  CLASSICAL MUSIC you definitely DON'T like... or that YOU DO LIKE « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CLASSICAL MUSIC you definitely DON'T like... or that YOU DO LIKE  (Read 9165 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: November 25, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »

CLASSICAL MUSIC you definitely DON'T like.  

Heard some RACHMANINOFF today... no wonder I have none in my collection (though I had quite a bit - maybe still do - on vinyl... which I had inherited)  To me, accusing DEBUSSY of being syrupy, which I've read more than once, is ignorant.  On the other hand, RACHMANINOFF...?  Treacly!!  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:31:56 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »

That's a tough one for anybody who is not a real fan of classical music. I like classical music, but not enough to go out of my way to listen to it, so the only pieces that stick with me, or even register with me are ones I like. Anything I don't like just kind of goes in one ear and out the other.

With classical, I either like it or I'm indifferent to it. Probably because we aren't forced to listen to as much classical as say, pop. A bad pop song, played continuously everywhere will burrow into my brain, grab hold and start headbutting the pain centre. That's why I stopped listening to commercial radio.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »

AndyC's thoughtful comments made me reconsider my topic.  I like many types of music, including many that'd be classified as Classical...
MAURICE RAVEL
CLAUDE DEBUSSY
CHARLES MARIE WIDOR
CESAR FRANCK
BEETHOVEN
MOZART
SCHUBERT
LISZT
MAHLER

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »

I love a lot of classical music.  One of my faves is Powerhouse (can't remember the composer).  It was on Looney Tunes a lot, as were a lot of classic classicals.  I also really like the Sabre Dance, and practically everything Tchaikovsky did.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

If I go by the number of CDs I actually own, I suppose John Williams would be at the top of my list of classical composers I like. But I also find Vivaldi quite nice, and Bach as well.

---------------------
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

When I'm in the mood for classical, I like harpsichord music, Mozart, and Bach's organ works.

I'm not familiar enough with the classical genre to come up with anything specific that I don't like, but a lot of it doesn't move me one way or the other.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »

I listen to a ton of classical (more than any other kind of music).  But, like Andy, because I can pick and choose, I tend not to listen to anything I don't like. 

That said, here's some stuff I don't really like:

*Post-baroque pre-romantic chamber music, which is the kind of thing lot of people think of when they think "classical."  The kind of pretty background music you think of as playing when you think of aristocratic fops sitting around in powedered wigs eating grapes.  That includes a lot of Mozart, too.

*Opera.  I can't stand the screeching.  It sounds very affected and not at all like real human emotion. 

*Atonal music of the early 20th Century: Schoenberg, Berg, Webern.  That abrasive, discordant music, especially made between the two world wars that seems to evoke anxiety more than anything else.  It's the kind of thing that sounds cool when you first hear it but rewards you less and less the more you listen to it.  Melody, please.  I can't find anything to really represent what I'm talking about, because very few people like this kind of music and they don't upload it to youtube.  Here's an example of the style I mean that's really not too terrible:

Small | Large

*John Cage's prank music.  This is what I come closest to actually hating.

But why not focus on whate we love instead?

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

One of my faves is Powerhouse (can't remember the composer). 

Raymond Scott.  Great song, great composer.  He could be considered classical, but he's sort of in his own league.  He's often lumped in with jazz because he composed music to be played for a jazz quintette.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »

*Opera.  I can't stand the screeching.  It sounds very affected and not at all like real human emotion. 

*Atonal music of the early 20th Century: Schoenberg, Berg, Webern.  That abrasive, discordant music, especially made between the two world wars that seems to evoke anxiety more than anything else.  It's the kind of thing that sounds cool when you first hear it but rewards you less and less the more you listen to it.  Melody, please. 

Ah, those are two I definitely don't like.

*Post-baroque pre-romantic chamber music, which is the kind of thing lot of people think of when they think "classical."  The kind of pretty background music you think of as playing when you think of aristocratic fops sitting around in powedered wigs eating grapes.

That I don't mind. At best, it's kind of soothing, and at worst, it just kind of fades into the backround noise. I suppose if I had to sit through a concert of it, I'd probably be familiarizing myself with the details of the ceiling before long.

---------------------
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »

... here's some stuff I don't really like:
*Atonal music of the early 20th Century: Schoenberg, Berg, Webern.  That abrasive, discordant music, especially made between the two world wars that seems to evoke anxiety more than anything else.  It's the kind of thing that sounds cool when you first hear it but rewards you less and less the more you listen to it.  Melody, please.  I can't find anything to really represent what I'm talking about, because very few people like this kind of music and they don't upload it to youtube.  Here's an example of the style I mean that's really not too terrible:
Y'mean like Transfigured Night...? 
Small | Large

venomx
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »

I like BeefOven ... dude totally rocks!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »

... here's some stuff I don't really like:
Y'mean like Transfigured Night...? 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqxKWSCGFk&feature=PlayList&p=184F70DDB3A81F2A&index=0&playnext=1

You, sir, have a keen ear for what I don't like.   Wink  But that's actually not to bad either.  The stuff that shows up on youtube tends to be the highlights of that style.  There's a lot of lesser stuff that I can't tolerate at all.  Don't remember the names of the composers or pieces, because I tend to turn it off immediately if it comes on. 

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »

Ah, classical music. One of my favorite forms of music. To which I was introduced by two people. One was my mother, which is no surprise, and the other was Walt Disney, which may be something of a surprise, but no one has ever been better at intergrating music, especially classical music, into his films, short subjects, and animated cartoons. One of my favorite forms of music, because no matter how many times I have heard it, it still leaves a chill running up and down my spine. And thus, here are the composers and their music that leave that chill. Arranged by composer in order of which I  came to appreciate them and their music.

Offenbach: The Can Can

Strauss, jr.: The Blue Danube Waltz
Tales from the Vienna Woods

Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

Rossini: The William Tell Overture
The Barber of Seville Overture
The Thieving Magpie

Suppe: The Light Cavalry Overture
The Poet and Peasant Overture

R. Strauss: Thus Spoke Zaranthusa

Ponichelli: Dance of the Hours

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker Suite
The 1812 Overture
The Sleeping Beauty Suite
The Romeo and Juliet Overture

Handel: The Hallelujah Chorus
Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Water Music

Bizet: Carmen Fantasy for Orchestra

Donizetti: Sextet from Lucia de Lammermoor

Wagner: March from Tannahauser
Ride of the Valkyries
Relude to Act 3 of Lohengrin
Bridal March from Lohengrin

Waldteufel: The Skater's Waltz

Verdi: Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore
Le Donna i Mobile from Rigoletto
Brindisi from La Travatia

Strauss, sr.: Radetsky March

Mendelssohn: Wedding March
Symphony No. 4, "Italian"

Schubert: Military March

Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
The Marriage of Figaro Overture

Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
Symphony No. 9
Fur Elise

J. Clarke: Trumpet Voluntary

Dvorak: Humoresque

Brahms: Lullaby
Hungarian Dances

Chopin: Polonaise in A
Minute Waltz

Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 2
Toccata

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue

Saint-Saens: Carnival of Animals, Finale

Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite

Grieg: Hall of the Mountain King

Mussogrsky: Night on Bald Mountain

I'm sure some of the titles have been incorrectly stated, and for that I apologize, but I think most of today's composers wish that they could compose half as well as the composers of old.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »

Ah, classical music. One of my favorite forms of music. To which I was introduced by two people. One was my mother, which is no surprise, and the other was Walt Disney, which may be something of a surprise, but no one has ever been better at intergrating music, especially classical music, into his films, short subjects, and animated cartoons.

Don't forget the Warner Brothers cartoons, I'm sure that's where a lot of us absorbed classical music melodies without even knowing it.  if I'm not mistaken, the "Silly Symphonies" series was all scored to classical music.  "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..." 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

Ah, classical music. One of my favorite forms of music. To which I was introduced by two people. One was my mother, which is no surprise, and the other was Walt Disney, which may be something of a surprise, but no one has ever been better at intergrating music, especially classical music, into his films, short subjects, and animated cartoons.

Don't forget the Warner Brothers cartoons, I'm sure that's where a lot of us absorbed classical music melodies without even knowing it.  if I'm not mistaken, the "Silly Symphonies" series was all scored to classical music.  "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."  
"Silly Symphonies..." were WALT DISNEY Studios; I think you may mean "Merrie Melodies"  
Silly Symphonies often used popular, jazzy music.  Amazingly, several of these are available on Youtube, check them out if you love great hand drawn animation, lush color, and fan-f-n-tastic music; to describe these cartoons as superb is an understatement:  
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

"...Hail, all, hail, all... Hail...!"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:21:11 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  CLASSICAL MUSIC you definitely DON'T like... or that YOU DO LIKE « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.