Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:37 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annoying misuse or mispronunciation of words or phrases « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Annoying misuse or mispronunciation of words or phrases  (Read 18535 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 03:05:47 AM »

I'll tell you the thing that annoys me more than anything else. It's the calling out of supposedly "large" words. I got called out for using the word "conducive." L

I once used a long word when I was in high school ~ a prefect who was within hearing distance remarked "That word's longer than marmalade."  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 04:55:27 AM »

When people say:

* "I could care less," when they really mean "I COULDN'T care less"

I find this immensely annoying. It's the most stupid mistake ever. People who are not able to work out why this doesn't make sense actually offend me.

It's not really a mistake (well, not really anymore) it's the slippery linguistic alteration of a phrase into an idiom.  Basically, could has one less syllable and is easier to say than couldn't, so it was substituted in.  It's not that everyone who says it this way doesn't actually know the difference.  I can still totally understand why it bugs people.

One phrase I actually like that makes no sense: "Fine as a hair on a frog's back" and variants.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:33:07 PM by Jim H » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 05:29:54 AM »

I'll tell you the thing that annoys me more than anything else. It's the calling out of supposedly "large" words. I got called out for using the word "conducive." Ladies and gentleman, it's your language, why not learn to use it?

I hate that. People who think you're putting on airs when you simply have a healthy vocabulary. My wife gets that from her family, and what frustrates her is when the word is not that unusual. Her mom once gave her a hard time for calling somebody "sanctimonious." Not only is that a fairly common word, but there really isn't a better way to get that precise meaning across. To dumb down "sanctimonious," you'd almost have to describe the quality. Even saying "holier than thou" doesn't quite convey the same meaning.

And yet, nobody gets called out for using words like "impacted" and "surgeries" - improper words that people do use to sound smart.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »

Decimate.  It means to take or destroy one in ten of; to punish every tenth man by death.  It is most often used to as equivalent to destroy or annihilate (to blot out of existence; to reduce to nothing).  That's a long way from one-in-ten.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »

I view language as akin to music.

When you're talking, you don't need to be grammatically perfect. Far from it. If you make sense to the people you're talking to, mission accomplished!

You know, I have to agree, I love playing with my words for fun... For example, sometimes instead of saying "I'm not ready" I'll say "I am disenreadyated" or something equlally stupid. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »

I view language as akin to music.

When you're talking, you don't need to be grammatically perfect. Far from it. If you make sense to the people you're talking to, mission accomplished!

You know, I have to agree, I love playing with my words for fun... For example, sometimes instead of saying "I'm not ready" I'll say "I am disenreadyated" or something equlally stupid. 
-Ed

That's an important distinction for me. I like it when people are colourful in their use of language, and I love accents (unless I'm calling a tech support line). I can appreciate regional quirks, and I can overlook errors by people who learned English as a second language. It's the people who have no excuse, who mess up the language and aren't kidding about it.

I think once you master working with the language, it's OK to play with it. What really bug me are ignorance and pretense and laziness.

---------------------
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »

Speaking of accents, I work tech support for scientists.   Once I let my mind wander as the customer asked a question and I replied "Yep, that. dog'll hunt"

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »

Oh dear...My daughter had a toy named Jacques Peacock once, and my wife mispronounced it Jah-Kezz, and i laughed at her for it. Now I'm watching the OSU vs Oregon football game, and theres a player named Jaquizz. So not only did someone misprounounce it, someone else spelled it phonetically. 

paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

Having lived in the Greater Boston area for my entire life, I hear "idear" quite a bit.  I also hear:

* Watah (instead of water)

* Fawty (instead of forty)

* Yee-ahs (instead of years)

I am very conscious of my accent and try to disguise it when I travel out of state, but it often sneaks through.

don't forget, "wicked"

* Cah (for car)

* Rotary (roundabout everywhere else, mostly particular to the NE)

* Tonic (instead of cola)

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »

"Open minded".  Sets my teeth on edge when people use this to indicate they accept anything and everything they hear/read at face value, all equal, without question or examination - and then present this 'open-mindedness' as an indication of their ethical and intellectual superiority.   Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »

"Open minded".  Sets my teeth on edge when people use this to indicate they accept anything and everything they hear/read at face value, all equal, without question or examination - and then present this 'open-mindedness' as an indication of their ethical and intellectual superiority.   Lookingup

Amen, sister. I don't really believe in "open mindedness" or "closed mindedness," at least not the way it is used lately. "Open-minded" people (and, hey, who doesn't consider themselves to be reasonably open minded?) generally use the terms as a politically correct way to call someone they disagree with an idiot (because only an idiot could be as closed minded as fill in the blank). In other words, if I don't agree with your opinion, it is because I am open minded (and therefore smart), while you are closed minded (and therefore an idiot). If you only thought clearly (like, of course, I do), then you would share my opinion, since it is the only valid one.

I don't call myself open minded, but in practice I am much more willing to listen to others' opinions and accept the differences between us without trying to force my opinion on them than many I've met who claim to be very open minded. I'm also willing to call an idiot an idiot (at least to myself).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »

My first boss in the newspaper business was one of those old-fashioned owner-editors who believed he was crusading for truth and justice in the community while he was really just on a power trip and making a comfortable living at it (until enough subscribers and advertisers deserted him). The guy wielded his paper like a club. And he always used to refer to "thoughtful people" in his editorials. It was always what thoughtful people believe, what thoughtful people do, what thoughtful people know, etc. And it didn't take a terribly thoughtful person to see that "thoughtful people" were just people who agreed with him. What really bugged me was that it's phrased positively enough to be not too offensive on the surface, until you ask "What am I if I don't agree?"

As for myself, I do use the term "open minded" but not in that broad "it's all good" sense. To me, open mindedness is just a willingness to consider possibilities and points of view, rather than rejecting them out of hand. Your mind might already be made up, but you're not beyond persuasion. I agree it has nothing to do with unconditional acceptance and approval.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:38:53 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

The people where I live currently all say buzz instead of bus. It sounds bloody awful!

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 01:52:05 PM »

Having lived in the Greater Boston area for my entire life, I hear "idear" quite a bit.  I also hear:

* Watah (instead of water)

* Fawty (instead of forty)

* Yee-ahs (instead of years)

I am very conscious of my accent and try to disguise it when I travel out of state, but it often sneaks through.

don't forget, "wicked"

* Cah (for car)

* Rotary (roundabout everywhere else, mostly particular to the NE)

* Tonic (instead of cola)

Yup.  Nothing better than going to Fenway Park and getting a "Hawt dawg and a tonic" (or a "beah") while watching the Red Sawx play "a wicked good game of baseball."  The only bummer is paying $40 to pahk the cah.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2009, 03:27:36 AM »

One mispronunciation of a word that never fails to annoy me is "libary" in place of "library." I may be sensitive because I actually work in a library, but there's just no good reason to mispronounce the word other than ignorance of its actual pronunciation.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annoying misuse or mispronunciation of words or phrases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.