Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:17:27 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hawk the Slayer is a SPAGHETTI WESTERN « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawk the Slayer is a SPAGHETTI WESTERN  (Read 934 times)
aszurom
Dedicated Viewer

« on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »

Bad Movie Podcast (JNJosh and myself) watched this last night - first time for both of us.  I had seen bits and pieces as a kid, but this was my first end-to-end viewing.

What amazes me about his movie is that it's formulaicly a spaghetti western at heart.  Watch this, I'm going to replace the characters but keep the story the same:

Hawk McQuade rides into town, seeking to kill his brother for the murder of his wife.  Victor (Jack Palance) wanted to be with Esmerelda, but she married his brother, and in the middle of their gunfight she got between them and was shot in the back.

Victor has taken the mother superior of the local mission hostage and will tie her to the train tracks if they don't pay him $2000 in gold by sun down tomorrow.  Victor and his army of mexican banditos are holed up in Dead-Man's Canyon.

To rescue the nuns and have his revenge on Victor, Hawk must re-assemble his posse of gunslingers he used to ride with years ago.  He'll need the services of a gypsie fortune teller to find them all.  Joe the gentle giant, Mickey the dwarf and master burglar, the One Armed Rifleman, and Tampo his In'jun tracker guide and master of the bow and arrow.

Ok, you see where this is going, right?  Hawk rides around the west, rescuing his old buddies one at a time from predicaments until he has them all.  Then hatch a plan to rob a bad guy of his gold and use that to pay off the other bad guy, or ride into his fortress and shoot it out.

The fights in the original Hawk the Slayer are all stare-down fast draw contests right out of a western anyway.  Here's how they go:

*whistled theme of the hero*
shazam! He's standing behind the bad guys, staring them down.
zoom tight into his eyes
cut to bandit #1's eyes
cut to hero's eyes
cut to bandit #2's eyes
cut to bandit wiggling his fingers over his holstered sword... I mean gun.
cut to hero's holster
bandit #1 goes for his weapon
KAPOW
KAPOW
both bandits fall, killed before they could get their weapon out

Go watch Hawk the Slayer and tell me you couldn't just put cowboy hats on everybody and have the same movie.  Seriously.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hawk the Slayer is a SPAGHETTI WESTERN « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.