Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:42:56 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Willy Wonka - Which version is better? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Willy Wonka - Which version is better?  (Read 5855 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: December 06, 2009, 02:48:44 AM »

The widescreen or the full screen (1:33:1). As I understand it, the widescreen DVD of this film is a matted widescreen that cuts off the top and bottom of the movie picture. If this is correct, one certainly it seems to me would be better off with the full screen version. Looking at IMDB, this film appears to have been original filmed in 1:33:1 aspect but was meant to be seen at 1:85:!? Which do you think is best? I certainly want to add this unforgettable classic to my collection but am wondering which version is best to get?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »

Good one Burgomaster although I really expected allhallowsday to be the one to post something like that. LOL  BounceGiggle

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »

Good one Burgomaster although I really expected allhallowsday to be the one to post something like that. LOL  BounceGiggle

I have a copy of this hanging on my office door at work.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:04:31 AM »

The widescreen or the full screen (1:33:1). As I understand it, the widescreen DVD of this film is a matted widescreen that cuts off the top and bottom of the movie picture. If this is correct, one certainly it seems to me would be better off with the full screen version. Looking at IMDB, this film appears to have been original filmed in 1:33:1 aspect but was meant to be seen at 1:85:!? Which do you think is best? I certainly want to add this unforgettable classic to my collection but am wondering which version is best to get?

Sounds like you're not familiar with the technical reasons for this.

Basically, look at a 35MM negative.  It's at an aspect ratio of 1.33:1.  Technically, they can use an anamorphic lense to distort an image at whatever ratio they want onto the negative, then use an equivalent anamorphic projector lense to put it out correctly on projection.  But frequently, for technical reasons and because of flexibility, they just shoot at 4:3 fully intending for a big chunk of the top and bottom of the image to be lost.  The director and DP when setting up shots do so with this eventuality in mind, meaning the opened up version is a destruction of their intended visual constructions.

So, go for the widescreen version.  If you're a really big fan of a film, sometimes it is interesting to see the opened up version for comparison (and occasionally you can spot bits of equipment in the frame in the opened up versions, like cables or a boom mic), but in terms of artistry, you'll always find the widescreen version preferable.

BTW, the flexibility I referred to - the advantage of shooting at 4:3 today is that if the framing is slightly off, you can move up or down a bit (taking more/less of the top/bottom) in the cropping to adjust it, something not possible if shooting anamorphic.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:39 PM »

Yes I get what you're saying but to me, the film still looks better at the 1:33:1 aspect.....

Jim H

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »

Yes I get what you're saying but to me, the film still looks better at the 1:33:1 aspect.....

If you've seen both and think the 1.33:1 version looks better, what does our opinion matter then?  You're the one buying it!   Smile
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »

Let me not disappoint you:

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »

Buggedout Buggedout

Karma to you for not disappointing, my zany friend.  Wink

And Jim H, of course you're right only I wanted to get other opinions as to which version they liked best.

Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »

Personally, I like the Johnny Depp version more, but that is mainly because it has squirrels.............
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »

You know, Gene Wilder probably wouldn't have been out of place in a Road movie with Hope & Crosby.

I could actually imagine Crosby as lighter version of Wonka too.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:28:28 PM by xXx_JaseSF_xXx » Logged

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »

I could actually imagine Crosby as lighter version of Wonka too.

Except, he'd probably beat his kids with Wonka's cane.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »

According to some but I'm not sure that was ever truly proven something undisputable.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »

We'll probably never know for sure.  Some of his kids thought he was an abusive monster, others loved him.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Willy Wonka - Which version is better? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.