Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:31:33 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Full Screen vs. Widescreen vs. HD « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Full Screen vs. Widescreen vs. HD  (Read 7517 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: December 06, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »

Well in an earlier thread, I asked for folks' opinion on whether they'd rather have Willy Wonka in full frame or matted widescreen? Apparently DVDs of EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA and 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH were done in an open matte process too which transfers the 1:33:1 original to a 1:85:1 widescreen too and I've seen others complain about these films being done in such a way, cutting off the bottom and top of the picture frame.

Now I also know of others who wanted to have anamorphic widescreen of those films so they would fit their HDTVs and didn't care about the changes to the original film. Me, I think I'd rather have as much of the film as I can see but some here ma feel differently on that? So what's more important to you personally? Having a film in widescreen even if it means altering the original version (someday we may well see classic old films and TV series re-edited in this fashion to fit on to HDTVs who knows)? There are others who want films to be available more widely no doubt in full frame/pan and scan so as to fit their TVs and in the case of most classic black and white films prior to the late 1950s and even many in the 1960s, they were filmed to be seen that way in the first place. TV series filmed from the 50s-90s were likely originally filmed to be seen in that format too. So which do you prefer? Me, I like a full frame 1:33:1 aspect ratio for items that were originally filmed and intended to be seen in that format. I do not like pan and scan which zooms in on certain elements from an originally widescreen film. I prefer films and TV series were presented in their original form or at least remain an available option for consumers. I do not like the modern updating done on the classic FX from the classic "Star Trek" series..I want my original cheesy FX dagnabbit! Also I want to be able to see the classic STAR WARS trilogy of film in their original pre-special edition forms. How do you feel?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »

FULLSCREEN!

fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:58:04 PM »

I like whatever form a film is meant to be shown in.  Which means I tend to seek out widescreen films most of the time.  As you say, not every film was made in widescreen format, so I have a few fullscreeners, too.

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
hellbilly
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:54:19 AM »

I like whatever form a film is meant to be shown in.  Which means I tend to seek out widescreen films most of the time.  As you say, not every film was made in widescreen format, so I have a few fullscreeners, too.
Pretty much my opinion.
I do have a new "appreciation" for fullscreen movies though, as most of them now look simply stunning upscaled on my new HD LCD. But then again, almost everything does  Wink
Sadly there are still lots of movies in fullscreen on DVD even though they were meant to be shown in widescreen.
I watched I, Madman (1989) last night and MGM's fullscreen transfer is near perfect. Director Tibor Takács however is quoted saying in an interview that I, Madman was shot with a widescreen presentation in mind. Same goes for Lionsgate's Slaughter High (1986). Thankfully its hitting DVD in widescreen in Germany soon.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »

I'm a fan of whatever format it was filmed in.  The Season One DVD boxed set of the KUNG FU television series was released in widescreen.  But they came to their senses and released Season Two and Season Three in full frame. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »

How about when a director/producer/production studio goes back and changes a film and makes a newer edition? Do you prefer to have a movie/TV presentation in its original theatrical/television form or upgraded with new modern effects and director/producer/etc. edits. Personally I don't mind if directors sometime go back and make director's cuts of films but I really wish the theatrical version would remain available and preferably even get re-released with the new version to allow for comparison. Personally I didn't care for Lucas's changes to the original Star Wars Trilogy nor do I care to see modern FX updates done on classic Star Trek and Doctor Who (although thankfully with the Doctor Who DVDs the original are still intact). Also didn't care for the changes done to THX-1138 for another example.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »

Getting as much as the movie as possible is the most important to me. I used to be a real hardcore completist when it came to getting the best version available of every movie I bought, most discs, most commentaries, most special features, etc. Nowadays, all I care about is having the movie, as uncut as possible, with as much of the frame intact as possible. I hate DVD's that offer us what I've come to call "poor man's widescreen." I know Media Blasters has been guilty of this on several occasions, claiming to offer a true widescreen print, but really just taking a full screen one and chopping off the top and bottom sections of the screen with black banners. Ugh. Having to settle for full screen usually sucks enough, because pan-and-scan already deprives you of the "whole picture." But "faux widescreen" DVD's only make it worse.

Bah humbug!

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »

Getting as much as the movie as possible is the most important to me. I used to be a real hardcore completist when it came to getting the best version available of every movie I bought, most discs, most commentaries, most special features, etc. Nowadays, all I care about is having the movie, as uncut as possible, with as much of the frame intact as possible. I hate DVD's that offer us what I've come to call "poor man's widescreen." I know Media Blasters has been guilty of this on several occasions, claiming to offer a true widescreen print, but really just taking a full screen one and chopping off the top and bottom sections of the screen with black banners. Ugh. Having to settle for full screen usually sucks enough, because pan-and-scan already deprives you of the "whole picture." But "faux widescreen" DVD's only make it worse.

Do you prefer the opened up 4:3 versions of films shot for 1:85 or wider ratios?  Sometimes you'll end up seeing boom mics and other such nonsense that - best example are the shots of jeans visible when John Cleese is meant to be naked in some shots of the 4:3 version of A Fish Called Wanda.

Sounds to me like you prefer the original aspect ratio, though - whatever the director intended.  If so, I agree. I have a couple films that are matted to widescreen that are originally at 4:3 (Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition, for instance) and it bugs me.  I want films as they were originally intended.  Period.

Anyone with a widescreen TV shouldn't mind if a film comes in a 4:3 DVD - if it REALLY bothers you, I've yet to see a 16:9 TV that doesn't let you zoom in the picture slightly to fill the TV up.  Why matte off part of the screen just to save you a button press?
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »

Sounds to me like you prefer the original aspect ratio, though - whatever the director intended.  If so, I agree. I have a couple films that are matted to widescreen that are originally at 4:3 (Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition, for instance) and it bugs me.  I want films as they were originally intended.  Period.

That's EXACTLY what I meant when I said "get as much as possible." I didn't mean as much as possible in terms of actual surface area, just as much as possible in terms of what I'm SUPPOSED to be able to see.

I know what you mean about the Evil Dead DVD's buggin' ya. I'm the same way. The more recently released Ultimate Edition has the original full screen version on it, but I'm takin' my sweet ol' time replacing the "widescreen" copy in my collection simply because I hate to double-dip, especially because of something as silly as this. In the end, I'll end up buying it, but for now I'm fighting my OCD for the sake of saving money on a movie I technically already own.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »

Evil Dead in particular bugged me because I HAD the original full frame release and gave it away before even watching the Book of the Dead edition.  Didn't even realize they'd done it til I watched the damn thing!
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

whatever the directors intent is

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »

I  used to think that way until George Lucas started changing all his old films....The original STAR WARS trilogy and THX-1138 in particular I prefer in their original theatrical forms. Also I often haven't cared for some of the changes Steven Spielberg went back and did with some of his films too.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »

I  used to think that way until George Lucas started changing all his old films....The original STAR WARS trilogy and THX-1138 in particular I prefer in their original theatrical forms. Also I often haven't cared for some of the changes Steven Spielberg went back and did with some of his films too.

That's a good point. I have to say, I don't think there's any solid cut-and-dry across-the-board rule for what I want to see. Typically, I want to see the director's vision presented as it ought to be. When it comes to the Star Wars movie, I care more about his ORIGINAL vision, you know, the visions without all the C.G.I. and that "Greedo shooting first" business. It's subjective, what version of a movie is important to have, and changes from movie to movie. For some, it's not important at all. For me it is. When a director goes back years after the film was made and begins making drastic changes, that alters the equilibrium and makes you rethink what you place your emphasis on.

Jim H

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:58:31 AM »

I  used to think that way until George Lucas started changing all his old films....The original STAR WARS trilogy and THX-1138 in particular I prefer in their original theatrical forms. Also I often haven't cared for some of the changes Steven Spielberg went back and did with some of his films too.

An interesting point, but I don't think Lucas or Spielberg altered the aspect ratio of these films.  

Other Director's Cuts that are in fact not as good as the theatrical/alternate cuts...  One example is Last of the Mohicans.  The "director's cut" is widely thought to be inferior.  I also feel the soundtrack alterations made on the English dub of A Better Tomorrow (use of the synthesized score over a couple pop songs) are better than John Woo's original version.  I also hear Apocalypse Now Redux is not as good as the original.  I haven't seen the original, but all the scenes added to Redux just slow the film down needlessly.  
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »

Maybe I should have titled this Special Edition vs. Theatrical Release too. Anyways getting back to aspect ratios, to me a few rare films actually look better in pan and scan 1:33:1 which is really quite different from films/TV shows that were originally filmed at 1:33:1. The one that most immediately comes to my mind is SOYLENT GREEN - the zoom effect of pan and scan I find makes the mass of humanity in tight close quarters seem more plausible somehow.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Full Screen vs. Widescreen vs. HD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.