Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:04 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Advice on storing DVDs/CDs/DVD-Rs safely? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Advice on storing DVDs/CDs/DVD-Rs safely?  (Read 2743 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: December 08, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »

On the bad movies section, there's a thread about how you store your collection but I am wondering if there's any set rules and standard advice for storing your collectables (CDs, DVDs, DVD-Rs) safely...is it really safe to leave your DVDs in those cardboard boxes (for those with snapper cases)? In those Mill Creek cardboard 50/100 Movie Packs? Is it safe to use those DVD carrying cases (I was personally looking at the ones capable of holding 528 discs but felt uncertain as to the safety of the discs although it would significantly increase my space)? Would not stacking said cases horizonatally do damage to your discs?  Would they be fine vertically?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »

All my Mill Creeks are in there boxes and all the ones have worked and never skipped. Concerning damage in cases. The chance may increase but if you buy a good one it should be ok. Not sure about vertical stacking but ill assume it would be okay.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »

All my DVDs are in their original cases, stored upright on bookshelves.  I've been buying DVDs for about 9 years and I've never had a problem.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:38:02 PM »

I always store them in the cases they came with.  Though I have a nasty habit of just leaving the DVD sitting on top of the DVD player when I can't find the case. Wink
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:59:31 PM »

I have mine currently in their original cases too but well I'm now running out of room...I have my closet almost absolutely filled and on the floor of my closet, I have the boxes stored vertically atop one another 3 levels high. I have a huge DVD cabinet filled to capacity as well as several smaller ones...the carrying case 528 DVD wallets would open up a bit of space but apparently they may not be as reliable for storing DVDs long term from the bit I could gather from a bit of research online...

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:31:43 AM »

Vertical is best for DVDs and VHS's.  Smile

Strange ~ film cans must be stored horizontally.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »

I've got mine in the original boxes, stored vertically on my bookshelves.  With those DVD wallets I'd be a bit worried about the discs warping after several years.  You can get those slimline cases if you want to save space, but personally I hate them.  The spine is so skinny you can't read the titles, and I've noticed that they don't necessarily seal around the edges because they're so thin and flimsy. 

A DVD collection takes up a lot of space, but personally I'm kind of proud of that  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

I've got mine in the original boxes, stored vertically on my bookshelves.  With those DVD wallets I'd be a bit worried about the discs warping after several years.  You can get those slimline cases if you want to save space, but personally I hate them.  The spine is so skinny you can't read the titles, and I've noticed that they don't necessarily seal around the edges because they're so thin and flimsy. 

A DVD collection takes up a lot of space, but personally I'm kind of proud of that  TeddyR

Yeah Jack that's exactly what I thought giving those wallets a closer look. Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm sticking with my current methods although I suspect I'm going to have to put a new shelve or two in my closet eventually. I also could weed out more duplicates I have in my collection.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »

I suspect I'm going to have to put a new shelve or two in my closet eventually. I also could weed out more duplicates I have in my collection.

A year or two ago I went online and found a place that was selling a discontinued line of relatively cheap, yet functional, "put 'em together yourself" bookcases.  I think the manufacturer was O'Sullivan or one of those companies whose bookshelves, desks, and stuff are usually sold in Walmart, K-Mart and places like that.  They sell you all the pieces and instructions in a big box and you take it home and assemble it in about 30 minutes.  Anyway, the model I bought was no longer available in stores and the online company couldn't get anymore, so I ordered 4 or 5 of them.  I set a couple of them up right away, but the others stayed in their boxes until very recently when I ran out of shelf space.  Now they are all assembled and I think they are perfect for DVD storage.  The only problem is they don't quite match the slightly better quality "put 'em together yourself" bookcases that I already had set up in my DVD room.  But, hey, I can live with the slight mismatch.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:34:49 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Advice on storing DVDs/CDs/DVD-Rs safely? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.