Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:06:28 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books? « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is your favorite series of sci-fi or fantasy books?
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Ender Saga (Ender's Game, etc.)
Dark Tower
Wheel of Time
Dune
Sword of Truth
Twilight
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Chronicles of Narnia
Discworld
Other

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books?  (Read 6426 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »

Discworld for me. Terry Pratchett's books are like whole new worlds, that live, breathe and constantly evolve. There's silly characters, black humour, interesting stories and everything is brilliantly and cleverly written. My favourite sub-series within them are the ones that feature Death.

I wanted to name my daughter Ella Saturday from discworld   TeddyR   My husband wasnt going for it. I did get to name one of the boys after a character in a Stephen R Donaldson book though.   Thumbup 

Fantasy is mainly what I read and there is no way I could pick a favorite.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 04:00:33 AM »

I'll have to cast my vote for Fred Saberhagen as my favorite.  IF i have to pick a favorite.

I didn't go for the "Berserker" stuff, but my goodness, read _Empire of the East_. 
Then there are the "Swords" books.

For SciFi, Gibson is my favorite.  (William Gibson).

Guess my two favorites have in common that they are both excellent wordsmiths -- they are incredibly thoughtful about how they place the words together, and which they choose.

JRR Tolkein doesn't have my favorite writing style, but you have to bow down before him; he started it all in so many ways.  I still haven't been able to choke down the Silmarillion tho.  :P
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »

I'll have to cast my vote for Fred Saberhagen as my favorite.  IF i have to pick a favorite.

I didn't go for the "Berserker" stuff, but my goodness, read _Empire of the East_.  
Then there are the "Swords" books.

Saberhagen is awesome. I loved the "Swords" books and I did 'go' for the " 'Berserker' stuff"  Wink

I'm a longtime fan of older SF.  Give me Isaac Asimov to read and I am very happy.  So I rank Asimov's Robot stories high, as well as his "Foundation" series.

For fantasy, I enjoyed Guy Gavriel Kay's "The Fionavar Tapestry" trilogy.  It has been a long while since I read it but at the time it struck me as 'next generation' Tolkien.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:38:39 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.