Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:29 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Conservative praise for Nobel speech « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative praise for Nobel speech  (Read 3684 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: December 10, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »

Conservative praise for Nobel speech 
President Barack Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize speech Thursday is drawing praise from some unlikely quarters – conservative Republicans – who likened Obama’s defense of “just wars” to the worldview of his predecessor, Republican George W. Bush.

It’s already being called the “Obama Doctrine” – a notion that foreign policy is a struggle of good and evil, that American exceptionalism has blunted the force of tyranny in the world, and that U.S. military can be a force for good and even harnessed to humanitarian ends.

“There will be times,” Obama said, “when nations – acting individually or in concert – will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified.”

The remarks drew immediate praise from a host of conservatives, including former GOP House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

“I liked what he said," Palin told USA Today. "Of course, war is the last thing I believe any American wants to engage in, but it's necessary. We have to stop these terrorists."

Gingrich told The Takeaway, a national morning drive show from WNYC and Public Radio International, “He clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/30448 

“Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: the United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms,” Obama said. “The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans.” 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »

“I liked what he said," Palin told USA Today. "Of course, war is the last thing I believe any American wants to engage in, but it's necessary. We have to stop these terrorists."

Does Palin ever say anything that ISN'T stupid?   Lookingup
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »

What part of that did you consider stupid?  That war should be a last resort, or that it is sometimes necessary to stop evil people from doing bad things.

I did not hear the whole speech, but if those excerpts are typical, then this conservative is also applauding.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »

What part of that did you consider stupid?  That war should be a last resort, or that it is sometimes necessary to stop evil people from doing bad things.

I did not hear the whole speech, but if those excerpts are typical, then this conservative is also applauding.

You see, your summation of what she said is not stupid.  In other words, you'd do a far better job of giving the press quotes than Palin herself ever could.  

Even when she's saying something I agree with, she ALWAYS sounds like an idiot.  Further, I think it is clear that Obama was not referring to wars to stop terrorism (which is what I thought sounded stupid).  Obama himself has ended the "war" on terrorism, a rather ridiculous idea in the first place.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »

Just because Obama calls it by another name doesn't mean he's ended the "war on terror." He is sending an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan to finish it, and he is holding forces in Iraq for the moment.

My only issue with the phrase "war on terror" is that it is not specific enough.  We should call it the war on Islamic terrorists, for that is what it is.  And I hope to God we win it.

So far, the troop surge in Afghanistan is one of the few things Obama has done that I agree with.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:18:37 AM »

Just because Obama calls it by another name doesn't mean he's ended the "war on terror." He is sending an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan to finish it, and he is holding forces in Iraq for the moment.

My only issue with the phrase "war on terror" is that it is not specific enough.  We should call it the war on Islamic terrorists, for that is what it is.  And I hope to God we win it.

So far, the troop surge in Afghanistan is one of the few things Obama has done that I agree with.

I might add, since looking back I haven't stated it, that I agree with the meaning of Obama's speech.  I just think the entire concept of a war on terrorism is ludicrous - much like the war on drugs. 

Obama ended the use of the term (which is good), and has altered the way terrorism will be dealt with - making it less at the forefront of every foreign policy and armed forces decision we make, and more a matter of national and domestic security.  Good things.  I also agree with the Afghanistan surge, BTW.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »

I guess you and I aren't as far apart, ideologically, as I thought. 
  However, I still think it is sheer stupidity to treat these Al Qaeda/Taliban terrorists as common criminals when what they are doing is waging war against us.  I disagree with the whole concept of trying them in New York on criminal charges, with all the rights of U.S. citizens.  International law and U.S. judicial precedent all argue for military tribunals followed by swift execution.  What if they are allowed to walk by some looney left judge who wants to "make a statement" about the Bush administration? 

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

Palin likes something Obama said?!  MY GOD!  If Rush or Beck say say that as well, we will have officially entered the Twilight Zone!

Jokes aside, this is a surprisingly moment if I have ever seen one.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
3mnkids

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

Of course they liked it. He sounds like a republican.  TeddyR    And palin is an idiot. She is all for his speech because its war talk and she loves that. 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »

I guess you and I aren't as far apart, ideologically, as I thought. 
  However, I still think it is sheer stupidity to treat these Al Qaeda/Taliban terrorists as common criminals when what they are doing is waging war against us.  I disagree with the whole concept of trying them in New York on criminal charges, with all the rights of U.S. citizens.  International law and U.S. judicial precedent all argue for military tribunals followed by swift execution.  What if they are allowed to walk by some looney left judge who wants to "make a statement" about the Bush administration? 

From what I gather, the evidence against the major figures is pretty overwhelming.  Along the lines of taped confessions, eyewitnesses, physical evidence, practically everything you can think of.  IIRC, several of them aren't even intending to fight the charges.

To be honest, I think it should depend on where and how they were captured as to whether they get a civilian trial or not.  If they're in America legally, they should get a civilian trial.  If they're captured by the armed forces in foreign nations, I think in general a military trial seems more fitting.  Just as long as they get one.  It just rubs me the wrong way when any country holds people without trial for essentially indefinite periods of time. 

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Noriega?  Don't feel bad for him (a death sentence would have been appropriate for him), but his prison sentence ended in 2007.  Kind of strange limbo he's in, apparently.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Conservative praise for Nobel speech « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.