Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:39:06 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Do You Watch Anime?  (Read 17425 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

Love Cowboy Bebop so much I bought it.  I've also seen all of Full Metal Alchemist. When my daughter was in Japan back in 2005 she brought me some collectors cards.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »

Anime is a very large (and shameful) hole in my DVD collection.  I have ZERO anime DVDs.  Every time I go to Best Buy I look at the anime DVDs but I never purchase any.  I must make this a priority!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »

Anime is a very large (and shameful) hole in my DVD collection.  I have ZERO anime DVDs.  Every time I go to Best Buy I look at the anime DVDs but I never purchase any.  I must make this a priority!

I find the DVDs hard to purchase, even of things I like, as they're so ludicrously priced.  Crazy part is they're WAAAAAY cheaper than they used to be (LaserDisc releases used to be like $80 and have two episodes), and they're STILL huge ripoffs. 

Because of this, the only DVD versions I own are a couple Hong Kong releases (even if they're legitimate non-pirated Hong Kong releases, they'll be way cheaper and have english subs) and a couple movies I bought used.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »

The shows are often very overpriced.  I recommend looking for used DVDS or checking out Best Buy's collection.  Those are often cheapest used or new.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »

Anime is a very large (and shameful) hole in my DVD collection.  I have ZERO anime DVDs.  Every time I go to Best Buy I look at the anime DVDs but I never purchase any.  I must make this a priority!

The shows are often very overpriced.  I recommend looking for used DVDS or checking out Best Buy's collection.  Those are often cheapest used or new.

Its because everything in Japan is so damned expensive. There, you get a DVD with one or two episodes that costs more than what you pay here for four. Also, they pay a television tax, so even the anime they watch on tv isnt really free. Not that our situation is any great deal, either. However, I have noticed a trend, instead of releasing four at a time, some companies have been releasing box sets in two parts for around thirty each, as opposed to $15-20 for a set of four or $60 and up for complete series box sets. At best buy, they will often bring the 2 part sets down to $20 (13 episodes as opposed to 4). Both sgt frog and shin chan were released this way.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »

No, because I could never cotton to that style of animation. But there is one exception to that, and that'd be "Star Blazers" or "Space Cruiser Yamato," as it was known in Japan.

What impressed me about the series, was not so much the animation, but the characters, especially the villains. After years of watching mostly simplistic villains in American cartoon shows, I was suitablely impressed by how complex and complicated, at least I thought so, were the villains in "Star Blazers."

Whether it is for that reason or someother reason, "Star Blazers" continues to be one of my favorite cartoon series of all time.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »

Every so often I get an urge to watch some anime. I tend to somehow find some that no one else has heard of (or at least ever mentioned), such as Tree of Palme (Parumu no Ki) or Tekkonkinkreet. Both look a bit different than most anime that I have seen, and both tell engaging, thought-provoking stories. Plus they were cheap (Tekkonkinkreet was $3 at Big Lots). I did also enjoy Howl's Moving Castle, a movie that is more widely known.

I just don't care for the shows that are basically the same every episode, like Dragonball Z ("We must get more balls!" "But where?" "There! Let's fight for them!" "We win! But we must get more balls next time!" -- Not my cup of tea) or any of the shows based on card games. The Japanese have done some wonderful animated pieces; they've also done some absolute crap. So I tend to be very picky about which anime I watch.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
venomx
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »

Do you know I still need to see Demon City Shinjuka ... It is on my list of movies to watch tho!

I better get looking for it ...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »

used to a lot when i was younger. now, every now and then
my list:
cyborg 009
yu yu hakasho
i forgot the name of a movie, where these kids play hide and seek while wearing fox masks
bleach

yeah no.
skully13
Dedicated Viewer

"Cujo, where are ya boy?"

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »

Has anyone here ever seen Blood Plus? That is the best anime I have ever seen and a bit darker than most...i would definitely not suggest it for children!!

"Oh,there will be blood."
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

Has anyone here ever seen Blood Plus? That is the best anime I have ever seen and a bit darker than most...i would definitely not suggest it for children!!

I've watched it before.  I've only seen 10 episodes though.  It's prtty good, not the best anime.  I've give that to Monster.  Blood+ has a good sense of art style and has an amazing soundtrack.  I do agree though, this ain't little kids!  Espeically the opening scene!

If you like that show, you should see Gunslinger Girl or Elfen Lied.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
venomx
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »

Am I the only fan of Fist of the North Star? I know its oldschool lol, but still ...

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »

Am I the only fan of Fist of the North Star? I know its oldschool lol, but still ...

I've never seen it, but Andrew has!

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/fistnorthstar/

venomx
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »

IMO best anime ever ... yeah Andrew must be around my age.

BTW that's an awesome review he did! Ahhh tatatatatatatatatata aaah tatatatata.

Small | Large

LOL, come on' you know you love that Karate Kid music!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

Use to watch Dragonball Z, some toonami, and some of the movies Sci-Fi channel use to show.  Don'y watch any Anime regularly.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.