Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:05:30 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do You Watch Anime?  (Read 17428 times)
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »

Use to watch Dragonball Z, some toonami, and some of the movies Sci-Fi channel use to show.  Don'y watch any Anime regularly.

Yeah, DBZ for me as well. Also like Ninja Scroll, Blood the last vampire, Vampire Hunter D, Astro Boy and FIST OF THE NORTH STAR (Venomx, you are not the only one lol), oh and Wicked City and Urotsokidoji (don't know if I spelled that right) were all right.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 03:15:47 AM »

I already mentioned I liked this anime but I'll show the opening to it anyway.

Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

I finally got into back into my anime collection and watching Yu Yu Hakusho.  I got to finish season 2 and then get into season 3, which I now have.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »

I finally got into back into my anime collection and watching Yu Yu Hakusho.  I got to finish season 2 and then get into season 3, which I now have.

Small piece of advice: once you get past the Sensui arc, you can pretty safely ignore the rest.  It's pretty bad.  Even the Sensui arc is a little weak.

Also, whatever you do, don't ever listen to the English dub...  It's atrocious, especially Kuwabara's voice.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »

I've seen Anime stuff over the years.  My first introduction, I suppose if it counts, was Pokemon and Sailor Moon.  But I never was a fan, really.  A buddy of mine is huge into it, stuff like Dragon Ball Z and a lot of anime movies. 

Always seemed a bit 'nerdy' to me.  Not knocking it, as I did like this one movie I saw, but I've always considered myself a 'fringe nerd.'  In the sense that if I'm at say, a comics convention, I'm not necessarily out of place, but I"m not so excessively nerdy as to ask a writer or artist something like, "What was (insert character) thinking on page 34 of issue 29?  And why was he thinking that?"  I'm more into 'regular' cartoons, so to speak. 

But, I did like this one movie I saw on Syfy a whiles back.  Wouldn't be bothered now to track it down, but it was better than I thought it'd have been. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

Small piece of advice: once you get past the Sensui arc, you can pretty safely ignore the rest.  It's pretty bad.  Even the Sensui arc is a little weak.

Also, whatever you do, don't ever listen to the English dub...  It's atrocious, especially Kuwabara's voice.

Too late for that.  I've been watcing the show in English dub.  I've heard worse before and personally, I like it.  I do agree that Kuwabara's voice is pretty bad (Not as bad as Hiruma's voice in Eyeshield 21.)

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »

Too late for that.  I've been watcing the show in English dub.  I've heard worse before and personally, I like it.  I do agree that Kuwabara's voice is pretty bad (Not as bad as Hiruma's voice in Eyeshield 21.)

Honestly, aside from one or two characters, the English dub isn't so bad.  I think I was exaggerating with atrocious.  Yusuke, Hiei and Kurama all have competent voices.  But Kuwabara, who was my favorite character, has such an incredibly awful voice (it's probably the least fitting voice I've ever heard in anime, aside from Moro's voice in the Japanese version of Princess Mononoke) it makes the episodes unbearable for me.  In general, I rarely like English dubs myself, as even when the actors are good they usually are not appropriate for the characters (Cowboy Bebop is one example - pretty good voice actors, poor matching of characters).  They also talk in a way unlike how anyone speaks in real life, it's like a phone voice for many of the English anime dubs.  Getting a bit off-topic there...

I also have to say, their translations of the fighting terms are also sometimes ludicrous in the English version.

"SWORD!  GET LONGER!"

BounceGiggle
venomx
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »

Yeah, DBZ for me as well. Also like Ninja Scroll, Blood the last vampire, Vampire Hunter D, Astro Boy and FIST OF THE NORTH STAR (Venomx, you are not the only one lol), oh and Wicked City and Urotsokidoji (don't know if I spelled that right) were all right.

Yup! Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend ... its on my top 5 list, awesome anime! I like 1 and 2.
Cthulhu

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

Not really..
I watched a few episodes of Trigun, which was pretty good.
And, like 2 episodes from Cowboy Bepop, also good.
Oh, an I watched Death Note, but that's about it.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »

Other than the Studio Ghibli stuff I haven't been keeping up with much anime. I just got bored with a lot of the series in the mid 90's when a lot of it got to be too much of a self parody, without the innovation. I grew up with Starblazers, Battle of the Planets, Voltron, Tranzor-Z, Robotech all the series we lovingly called Japanimation back then. While the animation might look crude now in some of these, they had great stories that just were not being told in domestic American animation. I got to see Akira during its theatrical release in 1988 which is still a high point for me theater wise. I talk to some fans today who are hard-core anime freaks, and they have never seen Akira, heard of it, but not seen it  Question It boggles my mind. 

Some of my favorites:

The Castle of Cagliostro - simply one of the best films ever made period. Does anyone else remember the laser disc arcade game called Cliff Jumper they made out of this that was like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace??
Appleseed
Black Magic M-66
Wicked City
Record Of Lodoss War - 1st series
Giant Robo
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
The Five Star Stories
Fist of the North Star - the cult is growing  TeddyR
The Venus Wars
BAOH
Demon City Shinjuko
Lensman - I add this one hesitantly, but I do like some of the bad guy designs, and the then innovative use of CGI mixed with hand drawn cels. Doc Smith would most likely not have approved.

I am sure there are many I enjoyed that I have forgotten over the years.

Worst anime I have ever seen? Hands down Tekken. Half the cast of the game were relegated to a 1 minute cameo if that  Hatred

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »

I recently bought a lot of anime with my Christmas money.  I got a good deal:

When They Cry Complete Box Set (Actually I got it for Christmas, but still)
Baccano! Complete Series
Yu Yu Hakusho Season 4
Midori Days Complete Series
One Piece Season 1: Third Voyage
009-1 Complete Collection

It was a good haul and I have to admit, Baccano! was the best.  It was an interesting take on 1920s New York with rival Mafia rivals battling each other.

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »

I have a few gift cards, so I may be getting some new anime soon (probably sgt frog season 1 pt 2). Otherwise, I've been watching Hikaru no Go, which, given that its basically about a kid learning how to play the japanese board game Go (more or less the equivalent of chess, at least in terms of its intensity) is surprisingly entertaining. Its on Hulu, subtitled only, although it appears they did release a dub.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:02:50 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.