Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:49 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  PUBLISHED: REPO! The Genetic Opera (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PUBLISHED: REPO! The Genetic Opera (2008)  (Read 10045 times)
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »

(NOTE:  Please go easy on me, it's my first review.)

REPO! The Genetic Opera
Rated: R
3 slimes
Copyright Company and Date:  2008 Lionsgate Films and Twisted Pictures
Submitted by SPazzo

THE CHARACTERS

Shilo Wallace:  A seventeen year old goth girl, and the heroine of this strange and bizarre opera.  She is kept in her room by her protective father.  Very reminiscent of Avril Lavigne.

Repo Man/Nathan Wallace:  GILES!  ANTHONY STEWART HEAD!  The man who this movie was named after, and Shilo's father.  He tells Shilo that he's a doctor, but he's really out killing poor people for his boss.  He starts out good, turns bad, turns good, turns bad, gets shot, turns good, and dies.

Rotti Largo:  A very rich Italian man, and the CEO of the GeneCo Corp.  He decided to finance organs for people, but if they don't pay, he sends Nathan after them.  He also wears a toupee.

Blind Mag:  A famous opera singer, owned by Rotti Largo and the GeneCo Corp. All Rights Reserved.  Her eyes can do more than just see.  Fence posts don't agree with her.

Amber Sweet:  PARIS HILTON!  Rotti's bratty daughter.  Addicted to the knife, and painkillers.  She also wears skimpy leather and has some hunky bodyguards with her at all times.  Paris Hilton finally has a role just perfect for her.

Luigi Largo:  One of Rotti Largo's sons.  He likes to kill people and rip his shirt open.  Is trying to steal his fathers company.  He also is a big fan of the F-word.

Pavi Largo:  The other one of Rotti's sons.  Is also trying to steal his father's company.  He likes to take women's faces and attach them to his face, WHILE receiving a bj.

Graverobber:  The narrator of this tale.  He likes to open up graves, take out the bodies, insert a syringe into the nose of the body, draw out some blue liquid and sell it on the street as a drug.  YUMMY!  It's nice to see that Eric Draven from the Crow has found work.

Marni:  Shilo's dead mother.  She sings, is best friends with Blind Mag, betrays men, and dies.

Various Genterns:   The sexy nurses that work for GeneCo.  The only reason to watch this movie.

LESSONS LEARNED
In the year 2054, they will still be using cameras from the year 1900.
Taking Zydrate is a very sexual process.
Details about celebrities contracts are published in fashion magazines.
Watching a comic book is the best way to find out more about important characters.
Making sexual movements with your hands while little bouncy noises play in the background means you're tough.
In the future, renaissance fairs will offer booths for getting skin grafts.
Even though being a Repo man is a thankless job, somebody has to do it.
If you put your arm up a persons open stomach, you can make them sing like a puppet.

STUFF TO WATCH FOR

1 min:  So, am I watching a comic book?
5 min:  RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A HOOKER
13 min:  She's BALD?
22 min:  So, now is everybody dropping the F-bomb or what?
41 min:  Paris Hilton in skimpy leather.  Just what I've always wanted to see!
58 min:  Hey, is that Joan Jett?  No, it must be a guy...
70 min:  RANDOM GRATUITOUS BREAST SHOT!
72 min:  RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST PARIS HILTON'S FACE!  :)
89 min:  I guess this really is an opera; everybody dies.
92 min:  So I guess Paris will inherit everything.  Just like real life!

NOTABLE QUOTES
Pavi Largo:  The most dashing, panty snatching, I will leave your diapers dripping!

Rotti:  I'm Rotti Largo.
Shilo: I know.
Rotti: I own Geneco.
Shilo: Please let me go!

Nathan:  What chance has a seventeen year old girl?
Shilo: I don't know what I was thinking / There's no sense in girlish dreaming / I'm just seventeen.  Seventeen. / But it's better than forty!

Nathan:  If you poop in my pool, don't ask me to go and take a dip.

THE PLOT

REPO! The Genetic Opera, is, in fact, an opera.  It is not a musical, but an opera.  I didn't know there was a difference, but according to the DVD, there is!  With a musical a scene will play out like normal, then everyone will sing about it.  With an opera, the whole movie is singing!  Every scene is a song.  Now ask yourself, is this for me?

While you're thinking about that, I'll get onto the plot.  In the future, the general population of the world likes to get organ transplants for fun.  But organs are expensive, so the transplatees need to make payments.  What happens if you miss a payment?  Well, the company who runs all of this sends out a repo man to brutally murder you and take your organs while your body is thrown into a mass grave.  Lovely!

While this is all happening we meet our heroine.  The young and a bit goth Shilo Wallace.  She has a blood dieses and can't go outside.  Her father, Nathan, is a “doctor” who is the one keeping her inside.  Cut to Nathan's secret lab, and boom!  He's the Repo Man.  SURPRISE!

While all of this is happening, you start to realize.  This movie seems a little goth.  It also seems a little bit like SAW.  AND it also seems a little bit like Rocky Horror.  I can just see the brainstorm room now...  “Hey everyone, let's take the violence of SAW, the gothness of The Crow, and the singing of Rocky Horror and mix it all together and see what happens!”  Now, reading that last sentence may make it seem like it's a good thing.  It's not.

Nathan works for the company GeneCo which is run by Rotti Largo.  Now, Rotti used to love Marni (who ran away with Nathan) but because she left him, he killed her and blamed it on Nathan.  Rotti is dying so he tries to get Shilo to take over the company because his kids (Pavi, Luigi, and Paris Amber) are all after the company.  Rotti also has a contract that Blind Mag, the famous singer and Marni's former best friend, has to do whatever he says.

Did you get all that?

The climax of this opera takes place at (surprise again) AN OPERA!  GeneCo runs a “Genetic Opera” where organ transplantees go and testify.  All this happens while the hot nurses of the film make out on stage and single moms flash the camera.  Why can't tent revivals be more like this?

Now, Shilo sneaks out to the Genetic Opera without her dad knowing.  Meanwhile, Nathan is asked to kill Mag, but he refuses.  Shilo learns that she must kill the Repo Man.  Meanwhile Nathan (the Repo Man) is trying to find Shilo.  At this point I'm thinking that this could end badly.

Will Shilo kill her father?  Will Nathan stop Rotti?  Who will inherit GeneCo?  What will happen at the Genetic Opera?  Do we really care?  In the end there is a very cute message about letting go of your kids, while the message for kids is to still love your parents.  What a wonderful message in a SAW style slash of gore!  This is exactly what I would show my kids!

The movie does all end up good, for those of you who were worried.  If you liked the Crow, The Rocky Horror (Picture) Show, or SAW I would recommend it.  If you hate musicals for some strange reason, stay far away.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:20:09 PM by Andrew » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »

Overall, it was a decent flick.  It's not exactly the type of flick that I'd go out of my way to suggest to someone looking to kill a couple hours, but most people aren't as "warped" as I am.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »

Her eyes can do more than just see.  

Buggedout Buggedout +  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

Thanks for linking my review, SPazzo, but I think you meant to link your own: http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/repogeneco/Wink

As far as REPO, I need to see it.  When I will get around to it is anyone's guess. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »

Thanks for linking my review, SPazzo, but I think you meant to link your own: http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/repogeneco/Wink

As far as REPO, I need to see it.  When I will get around to it is anyone's guess. 

Ah, I didn't put that link up, I think Andrew did.  I'll fix it. TongueOut
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

The goofed link was entirely my fault.  Thanks for catching it.   I think SPazzo and I were both trying to correct the link at the same time.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »

Whereas, I can't find anything that says that this film inspired anyother film, I do find it interesting that this film seems very similiar to this year's "Repo Men" w/ Jude Law and Forest Whitaker.

And when I first started reading the review--good review, Spazzo--I thought I was reading a review for an animated film. Of course, looking at the images for the film, I see that this was incorrect.

One reason someone might want to see this, is that it is apparently one of the few rock opera films out there. Two of the others being "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Tommy."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »

Whereas, I can't find anything that says that this film inspired anyother film, I do find it interesting that this film seems very similiar to this year's "Repo Men" w/ Jude Law and Forest Whitaker.

Yeah, I read a bit about that on the writer of Repo's (opera) blog.  Apparently Repo (opera) was written around a year before the short story the Jude Law film is based on was written.  There was a potential law suit, but it ended up just not happening.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  PUBLISHED: REPO! The Genetic Opera (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.