Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:47 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Avatar (2009) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Avatar (2009)  (Read 11969 times)
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »

I enjoyed it but it did get way overhyped. The story is solid but familiar (Overbearing Mililtary/Corporate Vs "Bleeding Heart" Scientist) To anyone who watchs Sci-Fi movies. The CGI is beautiful as is the entire movie and reminds me what Jurassic Park did to put CGI on the map.

The envoirmental message is bit to ham fisted for my taste. I was rolling my eyes like "I get it" at some parts. Still it is a movie you should see once on the big screen.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:53:50 PM »

*The following contains possible spoilers*

I think some of the people who nitpick the dialogue and characters just want to hate this movie, for whatever reason they can find.  I think the 2 big problems people have with Avatar is:

1.  It's colorful.  It seems, these days, that Cinephiles only like movies that are dark, gritty, and "realistic".  Just look at District 9, which is similar to Avatar in a lot of ways.  I liked both movies, but I notice that District 9 is automatically treated as the superior film, because it's so dark and gritty, and made on a low budget, another thing that film snobs seem to have a hard-on for.  These guys just love to complain about how they're part of some kind of dying breed, when so much of Hollywood today, the Academy in particular, obviously caters to them on so many levels.  Well, hats off to Cameron for actually trying to make a fantastic, colorful event film.  (This is coming from someone who didn't particularly like Titanic.)

2.  It has a happy ending.  That's another thing Cinephiles seem to hate, especially those who only seem to like movies made in the 70's.  I'm sure if Avatar ended with Sully being killed, all the Navi being uprooted, and the Humans taking over everything, and being pounded with the message of "oh, we're so much poorer for having lost the natural world!" or something similarly depressing, then cinephiles everywhere would be hailing this movie as a masterpiece.  Again, I go back to District 9, which conforms to the standards of the depressing ending, and thus garners more praise from film snobs. 

As I said in my last post as well, a world as new and strange as Pandora needs a familiar story around it as padding for the viewer.  That's part of what makes it so enjoyable for me.  I agree that Blade Runner, for example, is a wonderful film, but every time I watch it, it's very overwhelming and tough to sit through, because it throws too much new stuff at you. 

James Cameron set out to make a movie that everyone can enjoy, including guys like me who enjoy ALL forms of film, and not just a few select genres or styles.  This is ultimately why he's so heavily criticized. 

Well, nuts to them, I liked this movie. 
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »

I saw this one Tuesday night, and my reaction was twofold:

THE MOVIE worked beautifully.  Visually stunning, emotionally engaging, and well-acted, it was a viscerally satisfying popcorn flick of the best kind.

THE MESSAGE was incredibly overdone, and more of the same stuff Hollywood has been doling out since the late 1970's:
NATIVE CULTURES = "good"
ENVIRONMENTAL EXTREMISM = "good"
MILITARY = "bad"
CORPORATIONS = "bad"

If you can ingore the constant slaps at capitalism and the military, or if you approve that sort of thing, the movie works on all levels.  If you find that sort of preachiness tiresome, just watch the movie and don't think about it too hard.  It really is a visual gem, and reminds you just how good CGI can be.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »

I saw this today (in 3-D) and really enjoyed it.  This is one of the few instances where the movie is actually better than the trailer would lead you to believe.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 06:34:08 AM »

I saw it a few days ago in 3-D, and was pretty impressed. Sure we've seen the core of this story many times before, but as D-Man pointed out the audience needed something familiar to relate to a world that was anything but familiar. I was not that jazzed about the film by what i saw in the trailers, it seemed like a was going to be a 3 hr long video game cutscene. Let me say my first impression was dead wrong, this is a darn good action film, and the pacing is such that you do not feel the time.

I am all for more traditional effects and a lesser reliance on CGI which I think is a crutch, but this film excells in the use of computer animation. The motion capture technology used here is the best I have seen so far, and the 3-D was incredible. One thing I did like was the military here was basically mercenaries hired by the corporation as opposed to an all out Starship Troopers like war/colonization. It has a lot of elements in common with the Alien universe, and I would like to think it exists somewhere in relation to it. Overall I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Avatar, and it makes me excited to see what Cameron does with Battle Angel.   

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 10:01:18 AM »

Ever since I heard the Filmspotting Podcast rip into this movie, Adam Kempenaar and I got into it a little via e-mail.  In one of the messages he sent me, he referred to the dialogue as, and I'm quoting here, "Lucasian".  He claimed it made him suffer the whole way through. 

I haven't responded since, because...I just don't know how to respond to that...that's just stunning.  What on Earth did James Cameron, or anyone else involved with Avatar, do to deserve an insult like being compared to George Lucas? 

Avatar's dialogue may not have been perfect, but it certainly didn't give me the same kinds of groan-inducing feelings that all the Star Wars Prequels, AND Kingdom of The Crystal Skull combined gave me.  (I defended the latter before, but upon a more recent viewing...everyone else was right, I'm convinced.)

You don't have to like this movie, but a statement like that just crosses the line, to me. 
Neville

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »

Same here. The dialogue was never a problem for me. Some people think lines such as Sigourney Weaver asking for a light after being reanimated or the soldier talk in general are stupid. I think they are understandable given the context.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

I saw this one Tuesday night, and my reaction was twofold:

THE MOVIE worked beautifully.  Visually stunning, emotionally engaging, and well-acted, it was a viscerally satisfying popcorn flick of the best kind.

THE MESSAGE was incredibly overdone, and more of the same stuff Hollywood has been doling out since the late 1970's:
NATIVE CULTURES = "good"
ENVIRONMENTAL EXTREMISM = "good"
MILITARY = "bad"
CORPORATIONS = "bad"

If you can ingore the constant slaps at capitalism and the military, or if you approve that sort of thing, the movie works on all levels.  If you find that sort of preachiness tiresome, just watch the movie and don't think about it too hard.  It really is a visual gem, and reminds you just how good CGI can be.

I'm not entirely sure how deliberate it is on Cameron's part, but the situation between the Na'vi and the corporation and its goons in Avatar is pretty similar to the ongoing treatment of remaining tribal groups in South America and the military/corps/private goons.  The main differences I see: the Na'vi are far more capable of defending themselves (as well as more peaceable, from what we see), and the corp/private goons are actually WORSE in the real life situation than in Avatar. 

Just some food for thought when thinking about the film's message.
3mnkids

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »

I finally got to see this yesterday and I agree with some of what has been posted. The dialogue was a little rough(cringe inducing in fact) I never want to hear the phrase "come get some" again. Seriously, how old are these guys? come get some? ugh.

Referring to worthingtons character as a moron throughout was a little much for as well. Because he was a jarhead and not a scientist does not make him a moron.

It was beautiful to say the least and I liked the "message".. then again I am a tree hugging liberal.  Thumbup    

ETA~ I just noticed this was post # 666...  Smile   I wish I could think of something evil to say.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:15:58 PM by 3mnkids » Logged

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Neville

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:29 AM »

I should let you know the Na'vi lawyers are moving on those who criticise the movie dialogs:

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »

I just saw it.  I was really blown away.  I didn' t realize how edgy the politics were.  I think that impressed me as much or more than everythign else. 
Vane
Dedicated Viewer

narnia is like compton

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »

The flick was good, but as everyone else says it just a mish-mosh of other movies and lame cliches. I saw it in 2d. the whole 3d thing in movies recently p**ses me off. If you cant make a good film without the snazzy 3d dont make a movie.

i am the walrus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »

Well, for those who have seen it . . .

It is on its way to be the highest grossing film of all time at the box office, beating out the previous record holder which was James Cameron's "Titanic," and it is--at this time--the odds on favorite to be awarded the Oscar for Best Picture at the next Academy Awards.
Vane
Dedicated Viewer

narnia is like compton

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »

Oscar huh? Well i disagree. There is a simple formula ive discovered for finding the winner of best picture,
Most hype = Oscar for best picture
(most of the time)

i am the walrus
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »

I saw Avatar today and loved it! I agree with a lot of the comments all of you have made about this film, but it still beautiful to look at if nothing else!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Avatar (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.