Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:45:26 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HD & You « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is your current home entertainment situation?
I'm fully equipped (LCD/plasma, blu-ray) - 7 (38.9%)
I'm making the HD switch sooner or later - 3 (16.7%)
Screw HD, I'm sticking with standard DVDs and VHS - 8 (44.4%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HD & You  (Read 4279 times)
hellbilly
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:25:52 AM »

Vote and share your thoughts.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:27 AM »

I currently have a very nice television, a LCD/DLP project jobbie, which did not catch and is not really made anymore. It may have its problems, but it is very large, 61", and very beautiful and cheap.

My main problem these days is that I don't have an HDMI ready receiver.

I spent stupid money on my television, but there is never a day I regret buying it. It is my pride and joy.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »

what i know of the set up:  (ask the hubs if you want more)

we have a mitsubishi 65in DLP (better picture than you think)
PS3 + XBOX 360 (we used to play standards on the Xbox, until we figured out you can play them on PS3...duh)

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »

I say screw it. I like grainy VHS quality or bog standard DVD. I don't like all this HD LCD, Blu-Ray balls. I don't want everything looking like a video game FMV sequence!

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »

I say screw it. I like grainy VHS quality or bog standard DVD. I don't like all this HD LCD, Blu-Ray balls. I don't want everything looking like a video game FMV sequence!
I'm kinda with you on this.  I personally don't watch enough TV to really notice the difference.  I actually watch most things on the computer and I think my computer screen is nothing too fancy. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »

I've got a Sharp 32" LCD and a PS3 for a Blu ray player.  I bought one Blu ray and found out that on my 720p TV, there just is not a noticeable improvement over DVD.  I even sat right in front of it, while I usually sit about 12' away.  So my Blu ray collection ended as soon as it began.  I do love my video games in hi-def though.  Also have a 7.1 surround sound system:  Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Infinity SL-50 tower speakers in front, and the center, side and rear surrounds are from Elemental Designs.  So is the sub, it weighs 70 lbs and goes down to 18 hz  TeddyR  Got a Toshiba DVD recorder and a Sony DVD player, Sony VCR, and the PS2 is currently hooked up to that system as well because I've been playing a lot of Gran Turismo 4 which can output in 1080i via component video cables.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Javakoala
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »

I have a Vizio 32" 720p LCD, a DVD player using component jacks and a PS3 using HDMI.  I can definitely see a difference when I play a DVD and when I run a Blu-Ray, depending on the source material.  And not all Blu-Rays are made equal, depending on the care put into doing the transfers and digital remastering. 

Personally, unless there is no other option, I ain't going back.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »

I have a Vizio 22" 1080p lcd and a Sylvania blu ray player. and i love it. Also has anyone noticed how god awful VHS tapes look on hdtv?

Javakoala
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »

I have a Vizio 22" 1080p lcd and a Sylvania blu ray player. and i love it. Also has anyone noticed how god awful VHS tapes look on hdtv?

What is this "VHS" of which you speak?

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »

I'm kinda with you on this.  I personally don't watch enough TV to really notice the difference.  I actually watch most things on the computer and I think my computer screen is nothing too fancy. 
same here bruh Thumbup

yeah no.
hellbilly
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »

HD really brings out the best or worst in movies regarding picture quality. I've tested my entire Toxie's Triple Terror set upscaled on my LCD. BCI/Troma used fuzzy VHS masters and it really shows. Most if not all are lacking sharpness and detail. Surprisingly there are a few exceptions! My cheesy fave Nightmare Weekend now comes with natural deep blacks but still revealing what is going on in the darker scenes, something my old 16x9 rear projector couldn't handle. Also, gone was the annoying color bleeding. So yeah, my HD set made Nightmare Weekend look its best possible  Smile

Regarding upscaled DVDs, I noticed that most Warner standard discs appear to suffer from digital noise. However, once I change the settings they look fine. Sony DVDs on the other hand always look great no matter what.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »

I have a 42" Philips LCD set with a Philips up-converting DVD player, I'm not poppin' for BluRay right now because most of movies really look really good on what I have .

I also have a DirecTV HD DVR .  I love all of it because it looks great  I'll never go back.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:44:12 AM »

Wait, what?  Why would they look like FMV sequences?  Do you think films in the theatre look like video game sequences (since they're far better quality than 1080P HD)?   TongueOut

Yeah, I personally don't have an HD set.  There's one in the house here (two) but they're not mine.  I'm still happy with SD for the moment.  Eventually I'll move to HD though.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »

We currently have an HD TV in the master bedroom, but we don't have a DVD player hooked up to it.  We have a 60 inch Sony TV (NOT high def) in the family room.  I have a DVD player and a digital surround system attached to it.  The TV still works perfectly, so I hate to get rid of it right now.  As soon as it dies, I'll be getting an HD replacement (at least 50 inches, but NOT plasma . . . too much risk with plasma).  Actually, even if it doesn't die, I'll probably get an HD relpacement within 2 years.  Same goes for my DVD player . . . I won't get rid of it until it dies, then I'll probably move up to blu-ray.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Torgo

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 10:51:42 AM »

I got a 40" Samsung 1080p LCDTV that I got back in May in my living room. I haven't made the Bluray switch yet due to money issues.

But I already had an upconverting DVD player in my living room that I got near the  end of last year to replace the old one that I had as it died on me.

That Sony upconverting player outputs a 1080p signal via HDMI and it makes most of my standard DVD's look better (much better in some cases). I've actually fooled some of my friends who thought I already had bluray since that player upconverts so well.

I'm looking at getting a PS3 after I get my tax refund early next year and then I'll start getting some stuff on Blu-Ray at that point.  

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HD & You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.