Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:15:00 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody know anything about SD Camera Cards? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody know anything about SD Camera Cards?  (Read 1582 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 25, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »

My wife got me a brand new PNY SD HC 120 HD 8GB camera card for Christmas.  Holds over 200 large-resolution photos, etc.  I've been using it all day in my little Canon A470 PowerShot with no problem.  This evening I plug it into my computer's SD card slot to upload some pics off of it - and the computer doesn't recognize it.  Doesn't even seem to know it's there.

And of course, the packaging seems to have gotten thrown away in the Christmas day prior to relatives arriving cleanup (I opened it a day early).  SO I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »

Hmmm.....

Did you try plugging the camera (with the SD card in it) into the computer via USB?  Also, it could be that the slot on your computer can't handle the High Capacity cards.

Even so, I wouldn't suggest using the card slots.  Especially with such a nice memory card like the one you have.  Plugging in and unplugging any kind of memory cards has a higher chance of them getting corrupted.  It's happened to me before, and it's a real pain in the arse.  I always plug the camera into the computer via USB and transfer my pics that way.  Unless I'm in a hurry or my camera batteries are dead or something, it's the best way to go.

Hope that helps!
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »

It definitely sounds like your card reader doesn't support the newer SDHC standard.  The old SD card spec normally only went up to 2 gigabytes, though some broke the spec and went to 4.

You might be able to find a driver update to the reader to get it to support SDHC, but don't hold your breath.  Best bet is either a new reader (you can get them for like $5) or use the USB cable with the camera.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »

I have this problem now and then, and it's usually just a matter of reinstalling the driver for the card reader. If it's an external USB model, that's as easy as unplugging it and plugging it back in. An internal card reader can be reinstalled from the device manager.

But I do agree that connecting the camera by USB cable is the simplest way to go. Don't install any software that came with the camera, just let the computer treat it as a storage device and copy the files to your hard drive the same as you would from a CD or a thumb drive.

In some ways, the card reader is a vestige of the earlier digital cameras that used a slow serial connection. When the alternative was pulling a card full of photos through your serial port at dial-up modem speed, it made sense just pulling a PCMCIA card out of the camera and sticking it in a reader. Since USB came along, the camera and the reader have an identical connection. The only real reason for a removable card (aside from the odd time you need to copy pics onto another person's computer without the oddball non-standard cable your manufacturer insists on using) is the ability to swap a full card for a fresh one. Of course, now that people can get flash memory cards in the tens of gigabytes, there's not likely to be any reason for most people to take the card out of the camera at all in normal day-to-day use.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody know anything about SD Camera Cards? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.