Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:39 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260525 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »

I don't ever refuse a free lunch.  If you say "I'm buying", then you are.   Twirling

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

There's quite a good restaurant just down the road here: I'm buying.  Smile

Careful. He might think that includes the plane ticket. TeddyR

[Trevor scrambles to hide wallet] Yikes!  Buggedout +  TeddyR
12 PM next Wed sound good?   BounceGiggle
As long as that gives you enough time to charter the plane and pick us all up!

TeddyR Thumbup And that means all of you.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

Against the grain, on this board, at least:  I don't like professional wrestling.  I understand the appeal and I appreciate the athleticism but it just bores me.  I really gave it a shot during the Stone Cold Steve Austin v. The Rock days, watching several weeks of programs in a row and even attending a live show at the Thomas and Mack.  I just couldn't get into it.  I spent more time thinking about how the writers were trying to manipulate the audience than appreciating the athletic displays. 

It's the opposite of why I like real sports.  I enjoy them because they're unscripted and unpredictable, because anything can happen on the field or court depending on players and coaches.  There's also the element of strategy to appreciate, why a coach makes a particular tactical decision, and whether I agree or disagree with his choice.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

Against the grain, on this board, at least:  I don't like professional wrestling.  I understand the appeal and I appreciate the athleticism but it just bores me.  I really gave it a shot during the Stone Cold Steve Austin v. The Rock days, watching several weeks of programs in a row and even attending a live show at the Thomas and Mack.  I just couldn't get into it.  I spent more time thinking about how the writers were trying to manipulate the audience than appreciating the athletic displays. 

It's the opposite of why I like real sports.  I enjoy them because they're unscripted and unpredictable, because anything can happen on the field or court depending on players and coaches.  There's also the element of strategy to appreciate, why a coach makes a particular tactical decision, and whether I agree or disagree with his choice.

Interesting. I think the reason I used to like wrestling in spite of not liking sports was that it was as much drama as it was sport. Mind you, I haven't really liked wrestling since the days of Hulkamania.

I think part of my problem with watching sports is that nothing is happening most of the time. Baseball is short bursts of activity between stretches of nothing, and football and hockey are effectively the same because play is constantly being stopped. Every time hockey threatens to get interesting, the ref blows the whistle and they face off again. Football is an hour long game that can last three or four hours, because play is always getting stopped, followed by another elaborate setup a couple of yards from where the last one took place.

You want to keep my interest, let somebody tackle the quarterback, pick up the ball and run the other way. Start playing and keep going for 15 minutes. Don't stop the hockey game every time a goalie dives on the puck. Make him shoot it toward centre ice and keep going. Don't stop play for anything but penalties and injuries. Switch players on the fly if they get tired. I don't know if that would be enough to make sports more interesting for me, but it would sure make them less boring.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »

I've seen sports fan argues about what team is better or what athlete is better.  I think for me the bottom line for sports is who cares who you cheer for?  These people all make ridiculous money win, lose or how awful/well they play.

Next one for me I absolutely can't stand Nascar...I simply don't get it.  I tell my mother in law who worships it that it is the ultimate form of redneck entertainment. Maybe if they put rocket launchers on the carts I'd take interest. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »

I find the vast majority of real sports boring but I tend to enjoy films about sports and of course I love pro wrestling. I think it's because I know wrestling is going to deliver a certain amount of entertainment that is nowhere near as likely in competitive sports. A boxing match can end pretty quickly as can a UFC fight and both both me far quicker than wrestling does (although I did prefer wrestling from the 1980s too). Strangely enough, real old time pro wrestling from the early 1900s could have a bout go on for 4 to 5 hours at a time. Hard to imagine but that actually on occasion sold out arena back in that era. Of course I do enjoy watching hockey on occasion but then I don't think I'd be fully Canadian if I didn't enjoy at least the occasional game.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 10:50:32 PM »

A friend of mine used to invite me over for UFC pay-per-view events once in a while. I'd go because it was a chance to socialize with other guys, stay up late and drink beer. But the truth is I actually enjoyed it. I can't say I've ever watched ultimate fighting at all except on those occasions, but it was fairly entertaining in that setting. I don't find boxing all that interesting, especially when the big matches are so short, and particularly because it is so strictly controlled. Ultimate Fighting is one match after another of two guys beating the living s**t out of each other any way they can, and usually going the full time. It kind of addresses the problem I mentioned before, that sports need less formality and more continuous action.

---------------------
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2010, 11:55:42 PM »

I find UFC fights incredibly dull and nowhere near as exciting as a superbly "worked" pro wrestling match. Give me charisma and showmanship over dull, forgettable fighters anyday. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker from Wrestlemania 25 is a great example as is Flair vs. HBK from Wrestlemania 24.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »

I find UFC fights incredibly dull and nowhere near as exciting as a superbly "worked" pro wrestling match. Give me charisma and showmanship over dull, forgettable fighters anyday. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker from Wrestlemania 25 is a great example as is Flair vs. HBK from Wrestlemania 24.
I agree, actually.

It's not so much that I dislike UFC.  I appreciate the fact that's it's real and un-worked or unscripted, and that they're really beating each other up.  But, what I hate is that they'll have a five minute round, and the first three minutes is the two guys looking at each other waiting for the other to make a move first.  Then they spend two minutes in an armbar, then the ref stops the round as it's starting to kinda pick up.  Then, Round 2 starts, and it's three more minutes of pacing around.  It takes guts to go in there, but at the same time, I prefer pro wrestling.  At least they have storylines and drama leading up to the match, they go flying around the ring, jumping out of the ring onto tables and chairs, etc.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2010, 12:19:10 AM »

I'm gonna go against the grain of others on this board: I quite like Lady GaGa.  She's much better a performer/singer than about 90% of the other pop acts currently heard on top 40 radio. 

I'm not saying she's a CLASSIC performer, mind you, but I have her debut album from last year, and it's a very good album.  I'm not saying it's Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller good, but much better than anything Britney Spears or Mandy Moore or Backstreet Boys have put out.  Plus, I at least know who she is, compared to many of the other performers out there.  And of the performers I can name, she's much more talented, musically, than say: The Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez or any of those other "Disney" acts that top the charts. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »

Phantasm- I really don't understand why this has any type of fanbase at all, or how it managed to have 3 sequels.

Shaun of the Dead- Not funny at all. On the contrary. It's actally genuinly SAD at some points.

Family Guy- am I the only one who noticess that this show isnt funny and is a total unfunny rip off of The Simpsons? Sorry, but 10 miniutes of a baby trying to get its moms attention by saying "Mom" over and over and over again is .....well RETARDED for lack of a better word.

The Dark Knight- Sue me. I just dont think its all that great. Not bad, but not great.

Blu Ray and High Def technology- Completely useless and unesesary. Not that much of a difference than dvd. I dont need to nore do I WANT to count the pores on Brad Pitts face.

Texting- seriously. It's so impersonal. What's the point? just CALL ME if you wanna tell me something. jeez.

Dane Cook- Just die already.....or stop doing "comedy". please.

Ok, thats enough venting for one evening.......

oh, and Im sure most of you will agree with me on this one, but if I hear one more thing about Twilight or anything related, I'm going to......do something very irational. Phuck that whole fad. I mean I REALLY HATE twilight.
Back in April, I was told by a few women that I looked like Edward Cullen, so i was forced to shave my head bald. .......i REEEELY HATE twilight.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
hellbilly
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »

Heavy Metal & Horror Movies. I never understood why both always had to go hand in hand. I love horror movies but I don't care much about heavy metal.
The metal/rock scene just wasn't my cup of tea. Those tight jeans or army fatigue pants, wide shirts, the long (and sometimes big) hair (in the 80s), head banging, the tough guy act - to me that was more amusing than New Wave. So yeah, I'm going against the grain here by not digging metal music as a horror film fan.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:54:11 AM by hellbilly » Logged
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 02:14:38 AM »

I agree, actually.

It's not so much that I dislike UFC.  I appreciate the fact that's it's real and un-worked or unscripted, and that they're really beating each other up.  But, what I hate is that they'll have a five minute round, and the first three minutes is the two guys looking at each other waiting for the other to make a move first.  Then they spend two minutes in an armbar, then the ref stops the round as it's starting to kinda pick up.  Then, Round 2 starts, and it's three more minutes of pacing around.  It takes guts to go in there, but at the same time, I prefer pro wrestling.  At least they have storylines and drama leading up to the match, they go flying around the ring, jumping out of the ring onto tables and chairs, etc.

UFC was a lot more entertaining and interesting before John McCain ruined it.  Over the years they've added tons of rules about what you can't do..  In the first UFC, the rules were, IIRC, no biting and no eye gouging.  Now there's this ludicrously long list.  And virtually every restriction they've added has made grappling more and more important (which was ridiculous to begin with, since Royce Gracie won the first UFC with BJJ).  And grappling/submission, in the UFC (in some other MMA tournaments it's better, like Pride FC), is boring about 90% of the time. 

On another note, I think it's completely ludicrous that there were so many attempts to ban MMA competitions and bare fisted fighting competitions. 
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »

I dont need to nore do I WANT to count the pores on Brad Pitts face.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 07:17:32 AM »

UFC was a lot more entertaining and interesting before John McCain ruined it.  Over the years they've added tons of rules about what you can't do..  In the first UFC, the rules were, IIRC, no biting and no eye gouging.  Now there's this ludicrously long list.  And virtually every restriction they've added has made grappling more and more important (which was ridiculous to begin with, since Royce Gracie won the first UFC with BJJ).  And grappling/submission, in the UFC (in some other MMA tournaments it's better, like Pride FC), is boring about 90% of the time. 

Hmmm, it's been about five years since I've seen a UFC match. So, it's become as bogged down in rules as every other sport?

On the other hand, professional wrestling has gone too far the other way for me. Too much emphasis on entertainment.

---------------------
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »

Family Guy- am I the only one who noticess that this show isnt funny and is a total unfunny rip off of The Simpsons? Sorry, but 10 miniutes of a baby trying to get its moms attention by saying "Mom" over and over and over again is .....well RETARDED for lack of a better word.

Agree, though for different reasons. I get sick of all the pop-culture references and the constant digressions from the plot.  Also, the attempt to inject so much "shocking" humor is tiresome. To me, it smacks of writers who aren't content just to try to be FUNNY, but think they always have to be EDGY.  It's a pose that gets repetitive and annoys me.  I dislike "Robot Chicken" for the same reason.

Strongly disagree about PHANTASM, though.  Not only do I like it, but even if I didn't like it I could at least understand why others liked it.  I don't like heavy metal or pro wrestling but I can see why others do.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.