Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:46:55 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260407 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »

Heavy Metal & Horror Movies. I never understood why both always had to go hand in hand. I love horror movies but I don't care much about heavy metal.
The metal/rock scene just wasn't my cup of tea. Those tight jeans or army fatigue pants, wide shirts, the long (and sometimes big) hair (in the 80s), head banging, the tough guy act - to me that was more amusing than New Wave. So yeah, I'm going against the grain here by not digging metal music as a horror film fan.

You're not alone.  You read my mind. (Though to keep consistent with my statement above I do "understand" the connection---heavy metal is the Devil's music, after all.   Wink)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »

There's too much emphasis on beauty and falsefied "perfection" these days. I loved that in years past characters came in all shapes and sizes. For example in pro wrestling, it's rare to find a Dusty Rhodes type wrestler anymore nowadays. And on movies and TV shows, those in the mold of the classic character actors of old seem a little too hard to find these days (although I have to admit to enjoying a few more character driven modern shows like "Cold Case", "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood")  and often seem a bit more in the background when they do get used.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »

There's too much emphasis on beauty and falsefied "perfection" these days. I loved that in years past characters came in all shapes and sizes. For example in pro wrestling, it's rare to find a Dusty Rhodes type wrestler anymore nowadays. And on movies and TV shows, those in the mold of the classic character actors of old seem a little too hard to find these days (although I have to admit to enjoying a few more character driven modern shows like "Cold Case", "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood")  and often seem a bit more in the background when they do get used.

Agreed. Some of today's crop of good-looking young TV and movie stars look downright freakish.

And I think most of us here on the board tend to like traditional character actors the best - those distinctive faces that pop up in movie after movie. Not the stars. The working actors who show up, give their best performance, collect a paycheque and move on. The ones we only know by their work because they go home to their private lives at the end of the day instead of popping up in the gossip rags all the time.

That's what I miss as much as diversity in actors - knowing them for their work only. It's hard to watch a movie with, for example, Tom Cruise without it being totally ruined by his off-screen public image. I want to be able to forget who these people are and enjoy them as the characters they play, not think about who is a drunk, a bigot, a Scientologist nutjob, a pervert or whatever. Is that too much to ask?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »

Shaun of the Dead- Not funny at all. On the contrary. It's actally genuinly SAD at some points.
Totally agreed, people talk about this film as if it is funny and I didn't laugh once.

The Dark Knight- Sue me. I just dont think its all that great. Not bad, but not great.
This may be one of the most overrated films of all time IMHO.  Also, and may he rest in peace, Heath Ledger played a good joker.  However, I'm sure someone else can pick up the role.  I can't stand people who say the role can never be filled again.

oh, and Im sure most of you will agree with me on this one, but if I hear one more thing about Twilight or anything related, I'm going to......do something very irational. Phuck that whole fad. I mean I REALLY HATE twilight.
Back in April, I was told by a few women that I looked like Edward Cullen, so i was forced to shave my head bald. .......i REEEELY HATE twilight.
Twilight, the more stuff I hear and the more movies I see, is just awful.  I've already told my wife, who love the series, that I probably couldn't stomach the next two films.  Its a horribly written story with no apparent plot thus far.  However, it makes for great reviewing material.  Theres just too much to pick on...easily I might add.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »

I don't think Seinfeld is funny at all. 

DarkSider's Realm

SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »

I don't think Seinfeld is funny at all. 

I have to agree there.  In fact, I honestly don't find any sitcoms funny.  I sometimes enjoy Fraiser, but other than that they really aren't that great.  I think the worst is Two and a Half Men.  Charlie Sheen needs to give it up.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »

b***hes and/or fags who use people for money Hatred

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »

The Dark Knight- Sue me. I just dont think its all that great. Not bad, but not great.
This may be one of the most overrated films of all time IMHO.  Also, and may he rest in peace, Heath Ledger played a good joker.  However, I'm sure someone else can pick up the role.  I can't stand people who say the role can never be filled again.

I'm sure eventually they'll find another actor to play Joker.  The director did state though, that if a sequel gets made with him as the director, nobody else will be Joker.  It may be an overrated movie, but the performance of Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face and Heath as Joker saved it. 

Rumors abounded a year ago or so of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin, and I'd LOVE to see it.  He's a hell of an actor who could pull it off.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »

Family Guy- am I the only one who noticess that this show isnt funny and is a total unfunny rip off of The Simpsons? Sorry, but 10 miniutes of a baby trying to get its moms attention by saying "Mom" over and over and over again is .....well RETARDED for lack of a better word.

Agree, though for different reasons. I get sick of all the pop-culture references and the constant digressions from the plot.  Also, the attempt to inject so much "shocking" humor is tiresome. To me, it smacks of writers who aren't content just to try to be FUNNY, but think they always have to be EDGY.  It's a pose that gets repetitive and annoys me.  I dislike "Robot Chicken" for the same reason.

Strongly disagree about PHANTASM, though.  Not only do I like it, but even if I didn't like it I could at least understand why others liked it.  I don't like heavy metal or pro wrestling but I can see why others do.
I very much agree with the sentiments about Family Guy.  Which is kinda why I really like/respect the South Park guys, as they've moved from the 'shocking' elements of the show (Kenny dying every week, cursing, AIDS jokes, whatever) and going the political kinda satire way. 

I don't HATE Family Guy, but I've lost a lot of interest in the show.  The gimmick wore itself out.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »

I very much agree with the sentiments about Family Guy.  Which is kinda why I really like/respect the South Park guys, as they've moved from the 'shocking' elements of the show (Kenny dying every week, cursing, AIDS jokes, whatever) and going the political kinda satire way. 

I don't HATE Family Guy, but I've lost a lot of interest in the show.  The gimmick wore itself out.

Also, Family Guy is written by Manatees.  It's true!*  TeddyR

*according to South Park.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2010, 01:43:55 AM »

I love "Seinfeld" and only find "Frasier" tolerable (but y'know I felt the same about "Cheers" too). My girlfriend though doesn't care for "Seinfeld". Seems people either love it or hate it usually. One show I might be a bit against the grain being a guy for liking is "Golden Girls". My GF loves it and I've come to really enjoy the hilarious quips and digs frequently given by Dorothy and Sophia.

I reallly enjoyed SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ too. Wasn't so fond of RUN, FATBOY, RUN although it did have its moments. I love Britcoms (esp."Fawlty Towers", "Are You Being Served?", "Keeping Up Appearances", "The Young Ones", "Bottom", "My Family", "One Foot in the Grave", etc.) and quality British shows in general (Torchwood", "Doctor Who", "The Avengers", "The Prisoner", "UFO" so maybe it's not so suprising.

THE DARK KNIGHT I still have to watch all the way through....I will eventually but I was very disappointed by what I saw at the start. The best BATMAN film I like is actually BATMAN RETURNS believe it or not with BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM a close second.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »

I love "Seinfeld" and only find "Frasier" tolerable (but y'know I felt the same about "Cheers" too). My girlfriend though doesn't care for "Seinfeld". Seems people either love it or hate it usually. One show I might be a bit against the grain being a guy for liking is "Golden Girls". My GF loves it and I've come to really enjoy the hilarious quips and digs frequently given by Dorothy and Sophia.

Golden Girls is funny. I didn't really like it when it first aired, but I was in high school and it was my mom's idea of a good show. Seeing it years later, I can appreciate it more. The best bits for me are Rose's stories of St. Olaf. Those crack me up.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »

I am a pretty big fan of Family Guy.  Matter of fact, its one of few shows out there that continuously gives me laughs.  However, I can admit that a lot of their episodes/gags are hit or miss.  For example, the most recent one where Peter has amnesia was dull and completely unfunny.  That and the one where Mort, Stewie and Brian go back to WW2 Germany. 

DarkSider's Realm

Cthulhu

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

I HATE Scrubs.
It's not funny. At all.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »

I brought up Seinfeld the other day as not being funny.  I'll also add in Friends.  Which reminds me, I can't stand Jennifer Anniston.  She plays the same irritating role in everything I've ever seen her in.  

Reality TV was brought up which I agree with.  However, I'll especially give a nod to the TLC batch.  Stuff like Jon and Kate Plus 8.  I'm sick of people being famous for...well...nothing.  So what, you popped out 8 kids...or in the Dugger's case almost 20.  Who gives a damn?  I have my own family to watch, why should I give a crap about theirs?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:09:34 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.