Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:12:01 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260403 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »

I love "Seinfeld" and only find "Frasier" tolerable (but y'know I felt the same about "Cheers" too). My girlfriend though doesn't care for "Seinfeld". Seems people either love it or hate it usually. One show I might be a bit against the grain being a guy for liking is "Golden Girls". My GF loves it and I've come to really enjoy the hilarious quips and digs frequently given by Dorothy and Sophia.

Golden Girls is funny. I didn't really like it when it first aired, but I was in high school and it was my mom's idea of a good show. Seeing it years later, I can appreciate it more. The best bits for me are Rose's stories of St. Olaf. Those crack me up.

A third vote for "Golden Girls."  It's not a classic but it is consistently enjoyable and funny.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »

Oh forgot, count me in for Golden Girls too. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »

Me too.  Betty White is 87 now, and she's still hilarious.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »

Me too.  Betty White is 87 now, and she's still hilarious.

Did you see her on Comedy Central's Roast of William Shatner? She was just about the funniest guest they had.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »

...So it's only natural that when I go out, the last thing on my mind is being obsessively connected to my friends.
The only time I take my phone with me is if I'm going to be gone all day or if I'm going out of town.
So yeah, I guess I go "against the grain" when it comes to cell phones.   Wink 
Well, I wouldn't say that... I, for one, won't even carry one of the things.  I do not own a cell phone.  Why would I want phone calls following me around?   Wink  My employer offered to pay for one for me.  Nope. 
If I was commuting to a job, I'd carry one; I think they're marvelous to have for parents... I'm glad to report all of my women friends carry one... in fact, most of my friends do... okay, maybe I'm also "against the grain" and coincidentally in a manner just like you Ash.   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »

I love "Seinfeld" and only find "Frasier" tolerable (but y'know I felt the same about "Cheers" too). My girlfriend though doesn't care for "Seinfeld". Seems people either love it or hate it usually. One show I might be a bit against the grain being a guy for liking is "Golden Girls". My GF loves it and I've come to really enjoy the hilarious quips and digs frequently given by Dorothy and Sophia.
Golden Girls is funny. I didn't really like it when it first aired, but I was in high school and it was my mom's idea of a good show. Seeing it years later, I can appreciate it more. The best bits for me are Rose's stories of St. Olaf. Those crack me up.
A third vote for "Golden Girls."  It's not a classic but it is consistently enjoyable and funny.     
"Golden Girls" is most certainly a classic, you and I may be just too old and appreciated it when it was new.   Wink  "Classic" doesn't mean perfection.  A classic is something that's aged well. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »

I very much agree with the sentiments about Family Guy.  Which is kinda why I really like/respect the South Park guys, as they've moved from the 'shocking' elements of the show (Kenny dying every week, cursing, AIDS jokes, whatever) and going the political kinda satire way. 

I don't HATE Family Guy, but I've lost a lot of interest in the show.  The gimmick wore itself out.

Also, Family Guy is written by Manatees.  It's true!*  TeddyR

*according to South Park.
One of the better episodes.  The writers at Family Guy were apparently 'very happy' with the turnout and now refer to their cutaway gags as "Manatee gags" as a result. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BTM

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:23 AM »

One of the better episodes.  The writers at Family Guy were apparently 'very happy' with the turnout and now refer to their cutaway gags as "Manatee gags" as a result. 

You know, I think that was a puss-out episode to be honest.  I mean, the whole issue of the cartoon showing Mohammad and how certain Muslims were reacting to it was RIPE with material for satire, but instead they turn the whole episode (well, two episodes) into a "bash Family Guy" piece (in fact, they even REPEAT the statement about the flashbacks not being related to the plot in BOTH episodes.)

For all the bashing South Park does of Christianity, Catholicism and Judaism in general, for some reason they pretty much treated Islam with kid gloves.  Gee, is this the badass, "we'll make fun of anything" duo we know so well?  They've depicted Jesus as a pansy, adulterous cussing wimp, and had a statue of Mary spewing blood out of her anus, but they felt the need to be respectful to Muslims?  I mean, come on, the situation was ripe for parody.  As Carlos Mencia put it, "I had people writing me saying, 'How DARE you say Islam is violent!  I will kill you for that!'"  Not to mention the humor that could be exploited in the fact that people are rioting over a bunch of CARTOONS.

But no, instead it ends with the terrorists responding by making a cartoon showing George Bush pooping.  Yeah, I'm sure in real life that's all they would do.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jim H

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2010, 03:10:22 AM »

I'm kind of wondering if at some point they'll show Islam the same way they did to Mormonism.  There are a few parallels between the two though, so maybe they don't want to repeat themselves.
BTM

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

I liked the G.I. Joe movie.  I mean, yeah, I thought what they did with the Baroness was lame, but still, the movie did what it meant to do, have a lot of cool, if mindless action sequences. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »

The Blues Brothers (1980) is boring.

There, I said it!  It feels good to get that off my chest.

A few parts are okay, but, overall the  movie is overrated.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »

Yea, everyone says its one of the DEFINING comedies of the 80's, but I just dont think its all that funny. Nice music, but didnt really make me laugh.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »

Yea, everyone says its one of the DEFINING comedies of the 80's, but I just dont think its all that funny. Nice music, but didnt really make me laugh.

Yeah, I liked it but I swear I never laughed once. Not once.

Javakoala
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »

Yeah, I liked it but I swear I never laughed once. Not once.

I'll get in on that one.  I sat with a bunch of people who were tittering and quoting the movie and laughing like a scored laugh track. When it was over, someone asked what I thought. "I want that time back, and I want it back now!" I ended up sleeping outside that night.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:29 PM »

You know, I think that was a puss-out episode to be honest.  I mean, the whole issue of the cartoon showing Mohammad and how certain Muslims were reacting to it was RIPE with material for satire, but instead they turn the whole episode (well, two episodes) into a "bash Family Guy" piece (in fact, they even REPEAT the statement about the flashbacks not being related to the plot in BOTH episodes.)

For all the bashing South Park does of Christianity, Catholicism and Judaism in general, for some reason they pretty much treated Islam with kid gloves.  Gee, is this the badass, "we'll make fun of anything" duo we know so well?  They've depicted Jesus as a pansy, adulterous cussing wimp, and had a statue of Mary spewing blood out of her anus, but they felt the need to be respectful to Muslims?  I mean, come on, the situation was ripe for parody.  As Carlos Mencia put it, "I had people writing me saying, 'How DARE you say Islam is violent!  I will kill you for that!'"  Not to mention the humor that could be exploited in the fact that people are rioting over a bunch of CARTOONS.

But no, instead it ends with the terrorists responding by making a cartoon showing George Bush pooping.  Yeah, I'm sure in real life that's all they would do.
They weren't going out to satire Islam.  They were satirizing the fact that every network has no problem allowing Christianity or Judaism to be made fun of, but it's almost a crime to go after Islam.  Which is why in the episode several times Jesus gets mentioned but Mohammed isn't. 

And they also wanted to just go after Family Guy too, as they hate that show, for good reason.

I'm sure they themselves have no problem going after Muslims or Islam, but Comedy Central does.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.