Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:17 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260355 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »

Oh and one for the parents out there.  Nick Jr has gone from good to sh*t in less than a few months for children's programming.   What value does Yo Gabba Gabba have for anyone watching?  I've switched back to the Sprout network personally.

My 2 cents on Yo Gabba Gabba:
For a toddler, its cool. But for what ever reason, I go to school, and I see people in their late teens and early 20's running around with keychains and t shirts with the featured charecters on them. I went into Hot Topic one time, (please dont ask why) and they are FULL of Yo Gabba Gabba junk! So i went home and thought, "hmm, perhaps its one of those kids shows that has a little bit of adult humor in it. Like Rocko's Modern Life or Spoungebob." So i watched it.....and i realized that THE SHOW IS COMPLETELY TARGETED TOWARD TODLERS!! I dont GET it! I know that every once inna while, cool bands will play on there that might apply to an older audience like The Aquabats!, The Aggrolites, Shiny Toy Guns, and Biz Markie, but thats not enough to make me develop fandom for it! Its like a BARNEY show!!......I just dont get it.
I see that too constantly.  I find the characters to be completely repulsive.  Especially the big orange dildo. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »

Ok I'm going to get ripped for this one but I have to be honest.  I can't stand punk rock or ska.  Granted I self admittingly like way less talented music/artists but I just never cared for the music.    I also find the punk rock argument of "you sold out to a major record label" to be silly. 
I don't get angry when a punk band signs with a label, but I see where they're coming from in one respect.  Unsigned bands that built up a following, earning a living based on said fanbase, and then they go and 'sell-out', in essence spitting on their fans faces, saying 'You can only take us so far on a financial basis' and it becomes less about the music and more about the money.  Which is true in a lot of bands cases. 

Myself, personally, I don't care if a band signs with a label or not.  It's just music.  I'm not gonna suddenly stop listening to someone just cause they now have the financial backings of corporate America.  Punk has always been the anti-establishment, and signing with a label spits in the ethics of what brought them to the dance. 

I can understand someone not liking punk or ska.  Although, sadly, my cousin (a 12 year old girl) just told me that The Jonas Brothers were "Punk" and I wept for about 20 minutes. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »

Oh and one for the parents out there.  Nick Jr has gone from good to sh*t in less than a few months for children's programming.   What value does Yo Gabba Gabba have for anyone watching?  I've switched back to the Sprout network personally.

My 2 cents on Yo Gabba Gabba:
For a toddler, its cool. But for what ever reason, I go to school, and I see people in their late teens and early 20's running around with keychains and t shirts with the featured charecters on them. I went into Hot Topic one time, (please dont ask why) and they are FULL of Yo Gabba Gabba junk! So i went home and thought, "hmm, perhaps its one of those kids shows that has a little bit of adult humor in it. Like Rocko's Modern Life or Spoungebob." So i watched it.....and i realized that THE SHOW IS COMPLETELY TARGETED TOWARD TODLERS!! I dont GET it! I know that every once inna while, cool bands will play on there that might apply to an older audience like The Aquabats!, The Aggrolites, Shiny Toy Guns, and Biz Markie, but thats not enough to make me develop fandom for it! Its like a BARNEY show!!......I just dont get it.
I see that too constantly.  I find the characters to be completely repulsive.  Especially the big orange dildo. 

Disney is W.O.R.S.E.

yeah no.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »

I like the smell of low tide.  It takes me back to many happy times by the shore. 

DarkSider's Realm

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:14 PM »

for some reason, i like smell of nail polish remover

yeah no.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »

I have to admit to liking Yo Gabba Gabba, at least for the first little while. But it was the same way I like a really bizarre and crappy movie. I mean, Brobee looks like the illegitimate offspring of a muppet and the Green Slime, Muno is a big, knobby orange vibrator, DJ Lance is a fashion nightmare, even by hip hop standards. They sing songs with lyrics like "What's that noise? Who made these holes?" repeated over and over and over. And every show is chock full of weirdness. Of course, even the delicious badness of it wore thin, and now I can't stand it either. Fortunately, my daughter doesn't particularly care for the show. She seems to have pretty good taste in kids' shows, and generally knows a crappy one when she sees it.

The show I really can't stand, that my daughter just loves, is Caillou. A whiny little bald kid who talks in a perpetually shrill, shouty voice. I don't like the drawing style of the show, I don't think it has a whole lot of value in it for kids, I find it dull, and it's even had a few things that I would consider a really bad example for kids.

And why the hell is this kid bald? Caillou is a four-year-old kid walking around with a full Kojak chrome dome, and the subject just never comes up. Nobody notices at all. Not that I have a problem with it. There are bald kids, with alopecia, etc., and it might be nice for them to be represented, but that doesn't seem to be what's going on. There doesn't appear to be any reason for it. It seems Caillou is just bald because somebody decided to draw him that way. The best the Caillou website has to offer (it's their most frequently asked question) is that the original character in the books was younger. Unless he was an infant, it's still puzzling that he'd have no hair at all, and when they made him older for the TV show, it apparently didn't occur to anyone that he might grow some.

I usually like the kids' shows we watch, but if Caillou is on, I find some work that needs doing.

Oh, and I really hate Dora the Explorer. If I couldn't make fun of the show, I don't know what I'd do. All it seems to teach kids is to yell really loud and use a few Spanish words without actually speaking Spanish. And where the hell does Dora live that kids have to get past a crocodile pond on the way to the library?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »

for some reason, i like smell of nail polish remover

I "like smell" of petrol

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »

The show I really can't stand, that my daughter just loves, is Caillou. A whiny little bald kid who talks in a perpetually shrill, shouty voice. I don't like the drawing style of the show, I don't think it has a whole lot of value in it for kids, I find it dull, and it's even had a few things that I would consider a really bad example for kids.

And why the hell is this kid bald? Caillou is a four-year-old kid walking around with a full Kojak chrome dome, and the subject just never comes up. Nobody notices at all. Not that I have a problem with it. There are bald kids, with alopecia, etc., and it might be nice for them to be represented, but that doesn't seem to be what's going on. There doesn't appear to be any reason for it. It seems Caillou is just bald because somebody decided to draw him that way. The best the Caillou website has to offer (it's their most frequently asked question) is that the original character in the books was younger. Unless he was an infant, it's still puzzling that he'd have no hair at all, and when they made him older for the TV show, it apparently didn't occur to anyone that he might grow some.

I usually like the kids' shows we watch, but if Caillou is on, I find some work that needs doing.

Oh, and I really hate Dora the Explorer. If I couldn't make fun of the show, I don't know what I'd do. All it seems to teach kids is to yell really loud and use a few Spanish words without actually speaking Spanish. And where the hell does Dora live that kids have to get past a crocodile pond on the way to the library?

Cailou is a whiny b!tch.  I absolutely hate that show.  It just encourages kids to be like him.   As for Dora, spot on and Diego is the same.  Everything is "SAY IT LOUDER".  I prefer it quiet.

Another one I can't stand is Max And Ruby.  Max sets a horrible example; he doesn't listen, constantly does the wrong thing and yet his awful behavior pays off in the end.  Arrrrrrggggg! Hatred

DarkSider's Realm

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2010, 03:58:49 PM »

I like baking cookies.

DarkSider's Realm

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »

i like to clean wheels

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »

I admire artists who sell out.  Everyone should get paid for their labor; there's no lack of integrity involved.  Not selling out is asinine, arrogant, and mostly championed by people whose stuff no one would pay for in the first place.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »

Ok I'm going to get ripped for this one but I have to be honest.  I can't stand punk rock or ska.  Granted I self admittingly like way less talented music/artists but I just never cared for the music.    I also find the punk rock argument of "you sold out to a major record label" to be silly. 

(Disclaimer: DarkSider is entitled to his own opinion and KYGOTC respects that)

I don't see how anyone could NOT like ska. To me, it's the happiest up-beat get up and dance feel good music in the world! What REALLY baffles me is that most kids these days would rather listen to whiny boo hoo "woe is me" crap to deal with their issues. I really dont get it. Who ENJOYS beiong misrable? Damn Hot Topic teenie boppers!! Why ska has lost the general public's intrest since the 90's ended is a mystery to me. PICKITUPPICKITUP!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #312 on: February 07, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »

I don't see how anyone could NOT like ska. To me, it's the happiest up-beat get up and dance feel good music in the world! What REALLY baffles me is that most kids these days would rather listen to whiny boo hoo "woe is me" crap to deal with their issues. I really dont get it. Who ENJOYS beiong misrable? Damn Hot Topic teenie boppers!! Why ska has lost the general public's intrest since the 90's ended is a mystery to me. PICKITUPPICKITUP!
And I respect your opinion KYGOTC.  I as well hate the EMO scene out there and the whiny stuff they're passing off as METAL now.  I just never liked the sound of SKA.  I think its the horn section.

DarkSider's Realm

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #313 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »

And I respect your opinion KYGOTC.  I as well hate the EMO scene out there and the whiny stuff they're passing off as METAL now.  I just never liked the sound of SKA.  I think its the horn section.

Yea, thats another thing! I have a pal who listens to alot of "metal". And the MUSIC sounds like how it aughta, but once the vocalist starts vocalin', im thinkin' "Who let the guy from Bowling for Soup in a metal band?"

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »

[/quote

would you listen to Sublime? The new metal aint cool as it was years ago,

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.