Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:16 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260322 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

Yea, thats another thing! I have a pal who listens to alot of "metal". And the MUSIC sounds like how it aughta, but once the vocalist starts vocalin', im thinkin' "Who let the guy from Bowling for Soup in a metal band?"

Dude totally.  Know what scene really bugs me, Screamo.  Shout, shout shout, whine whine whine, repeat 3x. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

Side note, I've posted this before...it really describes my feeling on modern "metal"...
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »

Ok I'm going to get ripped for this one but I have to be honest.  I can't stand punk rock or ska.  Granted I self admittingly like way less talented music/artists but I just never cared for the music.    I also find the punk rock argument of "you sold out to a major record label" to be silly. 

(Disclaimer: DarkSider is entitled to his own opinion and KYGOTC respects that)

I don't see how anyone could NOT like ska. To me, it's the happiest up-beat get up and dance feel good music in the world! What REALLY baffles me is that most kids these days would rather listen to whiny boo hoo "woe is me" crap to deal with their issues. I really dont get it. Who ENJOYS beiong misrable? Damn Hot Topic teenie boppers!! Why ska has lost the general public's intrest since the 90's ended is a mystery to me. PICKITUPPICKITUP!
And I respect your opinion KYGOTC.  I as well hate the EMO scene out there and the whiny stuff they're passing off as METAL now.  I just never liked the sound of SKA.  I think its the horn section.

Yeccch. I hate emo and its ilk probably more than any other kind of music. When my favourite radio station started to go downhill, I stuck with it, until they played Simple Plan. I was appalled when somebody actually referred to them as a punk band. Whining for Dad's respect is about as far from punk as one can get. What is it with kids? Since I was a teenager, we've gone from "We're not gonna take it" to "Daddy won't accept me as I am." Jeez Louise. Grow a pair. And aside from the wussy, self-absorbed lyrics, we have to listen to singing that is just slightly less whiny than Dora the Explorer's talking map.

And I agree that there is not nearly enough fun music being made. I don't always want a message or a statement or whatever. Make music for music's sake. By the same token, I don't want a lot of fluffy, paint-by-numbers pop songs either. But we keep getting one or the other. It doesn't have to be all art or all fluff. There's a lot of good territory in between that nobody seems to be visiting anymore. We need to return to the days when the charts were full of songs about rocking, partying, having fun, that were catchy but also had some obvious talent behind them.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »

The Superbowl. It's just another borring televised spoting event to me. .....But I LOVE all the free food and parties that come with it, so i guess its ok.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #319 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

The Superbowl. It's just another borring televised spoting event to me. .....But I LOVE all the free food and parties that come with it, so i guess its ok.

I agree. f**k the Superbowl. Boring. Give 'em guns.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

BounceGiggle Thumbup

Call me a sadist but this would make sports watchable to me.  Add a Running Man sense of danger to the game.  Another idea I had was to give Nascar drivers missle launchers.  Hell, I'd be glued to the TV every week.  Yes, I'm serious. 

DarkSider's Realm

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »

You know what else I can't stand?  Flat-billed hats.  I think it's because when I was in high school you got made fun of for wearing one.  Then again, I don't like any of today's current men's fashion, really.  Just give me a band shirt and a pair of jeans.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »

Ok I'm going to get ripped for this one but I have to be honest.  I can't stand punk rock or ska.  Granted I self admittingly like way less talented music/artists but I just never cared for the music.    I also find the punk rock argument of "you sold out to a major record label" to be silly. 

I don't see how anyone could NOT like ska. To me, it's the happiest up-beat get up and dance feel good music in the world! What REALLY baffles me is that most kids these days would rather listen to whiny boo hoo "woe is me" crap to deal with their issues. I really dont get it. Who ENJOYS beiong misrable? Damn Hot Topic teenie boppers!! Why ska has lost the general public's intrest since the 90's ended is a mystery to me. PICKITUPPICKITUP!
I turned a friend of mine onto some ska and punk groups.  He's a coworker friend, who seemingly only listens to classic rock (Stones, Aerosmith, Doors) and Mexican Rock (he's from Mexico.)  I took in some Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ramones and Clash cd's to work one day.  Since then, with increasing interest, he says "When's the Fish coming back to be listened to?" TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »

You know what else I can't stand?  Flat-billed hats.  I think it's because when I was in high school you got made fun of for wearing one.

Are you talking about the big, square high-profile ball caps? I just shake my head when I see the hip young dudes walking around in hats that were reserved for old retired farmers when I was that age. BounceGiggle

Worse though, is when the manufacturers take that ugly "trucker hat" shape and put hideous patterns on it. What gets me about fashions like that is they just aim to be as flashy as possible as opposed to actually looking good. It's more a plea for attention than a fashion statement. And it brings me to another thing I really hate, and that's when middle-class white kids in small-town Canada try to dress and talk like black kids from an American inner city. It's not just that I think the fashions look ridiculous (which I do), but these kids are co-opting the superficial trappings of a culture they know nothing about and have no claim to, because they think it's cool. Well hey, I like the British. Should I go around copying them? If I were to start affecting a Cockney accent, and went around talking in rhyming slang on a daily basis, people would think I was nuts, or at least a phony. No doubt some genuine Cockneys would even find it offensive. And that's exactly what I think when I look at kids slouching around with their hats on sideways and their pants halfway down their butts, adding "izzle" to every second word. Kids today seem to want to be everything but themselves.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »

cars with the big exhaust pipes, too noisy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:17:15 AM by Bull » Logged

yeah no.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2010, 01:03:13 AM »

I turned a friend of mine onto some ska and punk groups.  He's a coworker friend, who seemingly only listens to classic rock (Stones, Aerosmith, Doors) and Mexican Rock (he's from Mexico.)  I took in some Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ramones and Clash cd's to work one day.  Since then, with increasing interest, he says "When's the Fish coming back to be listened to?" TeddyR

When he's ready, give 'im some Mustard Plug, The Toasters, The Specials, Save Ferris, and if he can stand a little "pop-ska", Less Than Jake. And if you wanna get OLD SKOOL, give 'im some Laruel Atkin and Prince Buster.

Saw Mustard Plug live. Blew my BUTT off.
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:34 AM »

You know what else I can't stand?  Flat-billed hats.  I think it's because when I was in high school you got made fun of for wearing one.

Are you talking about the big, square high-profile ball caps? I just shake my head when I see the hip young dudes walking around in hats that were reserved for old retired farmers when I was that age. BounceGiggle

Worse though, is when the manufacturers take that ugly "trucker hat" shape and put hideous patterns on it. What gets me about fashions like that is they just aim to be as flashy as possible as opposed to actually looking good. It's more a plea for attention than a fashion statement. And it brings me to another thing I really hate, and that's when middle-class white kids in small-town Canada try to dress and talk like black kids from an American inner city. It's not just that I think the fashions look ridiculous (which I do), but these kids are co-opting the superficial trappings of a culture they know nothing about and have no claim to, because they think it's cool. Well hey, I like the British. Should I go around copying them? If I were to start affecting a Cockney accent, and went around talking in rhyming slang on a daily basis, people would think I was nuts, or at least a phony. No doubt some genuine Cockneys would even find it offensive. And that's exactly what I think when I look at kids slouching around with their hats on sideways and their pants halfway down their butts, adding "izzle" to every second word. Kids today seem to want to be everything but themselves.

YES!  I agree.  We have a lot of kids around this area that act like they're from Compton, but they live in Spokane or a Seattle suburb. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:46 AM »

YES!  I agree.  We have a lot of kids around this area that act like they're from Compton, but they live in Spokane or a Seattle suburb. 

Oh man, that pic made me laugh. Thanks, Joe.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I have a particular hate of people in South Africa who talk in a pseudo American or UK accent. I had one client here who asked me for certain types of footage in a drawl, so I asked him what state in the USA he was from. His answer was that he came from Soweto so I asked him to lose the accent. Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »

Touching on Andy C's commentary about the suburban fly guys, that stuff really took off around mid 90s thanks to gangsta rap in my hometown.  We had a lot of "homies" walking around with their pants to their ankles.  Of course if these kids even set foot in the inner city they'd crap their pants.  I recall one girl who was kind of the all American cheerleader type in our high school.  She ended up dating some kid from the ghetto.  After running into her after a few years you'd swear she'd grown up there with the way she was talking.  I don't know, it just seems odd to me.  

Don't get me wrong, I like gangsta rap here and there but I make no bones about myself being from the suburbs. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:53:24 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

Cthulhu

« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »

Good idea!
I've been thinking about how to spice up sports, and came up with some cruel ideas myself.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.