Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:08 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260314 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »

Being from Newfoundland, Just being a non-drinker is very against the grain. They even use Newfie Screech, a very strong alcoholic beverage, to make honorary Newfoundlanders here. I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »

Being from Newfoundland, Just being a non-drinker is very against the grain. They even use Newfie Screech, a very strong alcoholic beverage, to make honorary Newfoundlanders here. I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.
what about a 10' 1" pole?  BounceGiggle

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »

I dislike Ellen DeGeneres.  Well, maybe not her 'personally', as I don't know her in that capacity.  But as an 'entertainer'/comedienne/talk show host, I really don't find her all that personable or entertaining.

I DISLIKE the UFC/MMA.  I used to, at one point, follow it to some degree.  But over the past couple of years, I guess with the recent 'explosion' of sorts in it's popularity, I've lost most interest in it.  I used to watch it when they had Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Tank Abbott in it's infancy.  Lately, it seems like it's 3-5 minute rounds of two guys looking at each other circling around, until finally the judges just make a decision (not the athlete's fault, really, I think there's been a bunch of 'rules' added.)

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »

I find Megan Fox to be unatractive.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »

I don't care for the shows 24 and Lost.  I also used to like Heroes, but I now find it tragically boring. 

I do not like the following groups/musicians:
The Eagles, The Gorillaz, Linkin Park, Egypt Central, Mars Volta, New Found Glory, All American Rejects, newer Green Day (post Insomniac, really), Blur...  That's all I can think of right now. 

I don't care for Sprite.  I drink it on occasion, but I don't see what all the hype is about. 

I don't care for McDonald's.  Apart from the Chicken McNuggets, they're pretty lame. 

I hate Jersey Shore, but I probably already said that. 

I find a lot of rant-based stand up comedy to be more heavy-handed than funny.  Even when I agree with it, I would rather someone just tell me a f**king joke rather than be noisy about politics and philosophy for the sake of cheesy applause. 
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »

I don't find her unattractive necessarily...  But she sure sucks at acting! Buggedout Buggedout
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #426 on: February 23, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »

I don't find her unattractive necessarily...  But she sure sucks at acting! Buggedout Buggedout

I dunno.  I always thought she was nice to look at, but not nice to listen to.  Thank God for mute buttons.
Jim H

« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:51 AM »

I dislike Ellen DeGeneres.  Well, maybe not her 'personally', as I don't know her in that capacity.  But as an 'entertainer'/comedienne/talk show host, I really don't find her all that personable or entertaining.

I DISLIKE the UFC/MMA.  I used to, at one point, follow it to some degree.  But over the past couple of years, I guess with the recent 'explosion' of sorts in it's popularity, I've lost most interest in it.  I used to watch it when they had Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Tank Abbott in it's infancy.  Lately, it seems like it's 3-5 minute rounds of two guys looking at each other circling around, until finally the judges just make a decision (not the athlete's fault, really, I think there's been a bunch of 'rules' added.)

Yeah, UFC was very entertaining in the early days, but lately it is pretty dull.  It's a combination of too many safety rules and people understanding the ways to win better.  I liked it better when it was basically a pit fight between a couple random people.  Yeah, guess I'm blood thirsty.  Oh well.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »

Yeah, UFC was very entertaining in the early days, but lately it is pretty dull.  It's a combination of too many safety rules and people understanding the ways to win better.  I liked it better when it was basically a pit fight between a couple random people.  Yeah, guess I'm blood thirsty.  Oh well.

I still like it now, but man it was crazy awesome back in the early days.  I have tremendous respect for the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and it's great to see a guy with an awesome ground-and-pound game, or a lot of submission attempts, but all too often it's just one guy laying on top of the other guy for the whole round.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:01 AM »

I'm comfortable with buying lingerie and shoes for my lady friends. No embarrassment here. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »

I'm comfortable with buying lingerie and shoes for my lady friends. No embarrassment here. TeddyR
good man!

yeah no.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

I don't care for Sprite.  I drink it on occasion, but I don't see what all the hype is about.  

I feel the same way about Mountain Dew and ALL diet sodas. Matter of fact I extremely hate the taste of diet sodas. 

I don't care for McDonald's.  Apart from the Chicken McNuggets, they're pretty lame.
I think I have contributed less than 10 bucks to their overswelled purse in the past 5 years.  I do like their breakfast sandwiches but generally don't buy them much anymore.  I honestly don't get how anyone can say McDonalds is anywhere near Burger King in quality.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »

I find a lot of rant-based stand up comedy to be more heavy-handed than funny.  Even when I agree with it, I would rather someone just tell me a f**king joke rather than be noisy about politics and philosophy for the sake of cheesy applause. 

Absolutely. When a comedian is getting applause or cheering instead of laughter, it ain't funny. And if somebody has a message for the audience, it's going to be much better received if it's funny. I hate it when comedians don't just let the jokes speak for themselves. The late George Carlin is a favourite example of mine. He was hilarious throughout the 70s and 80s, and he always had a message, but he stuck to pointing out the absurdity in the customs, institutions and rules he disagreed with. By the 90s, he was still funny, but would insert serious statements of opinion, as if we couldn't understand what he was saying. And those would get applause. By the end, I just found him bitter and mean. His message was consistent all the way through, but his style went from observation and gentle mockery to venomous, contemptuous ranting. I got what he was saying either way, but it stopped being funny, and comedy has to be funny, even when it's about a serious subject that you're very passionate about.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:28:17 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »

and comedy has to be funny, even when it's about a serious subject that you're very passionate about.

I agree ~ the SA comic Barry Hilton has a way with poking fun at the SA situation without having to resort to rude language or toilet humour. Example:

BH: "I spent a couple of months in England and got so homesick. So homesick in fact that when I heard I was going home, I was the first guy on the plane. I was sitting there, thinking, man, I'm going home to Johannesburg when this idiot tapped me on the shoulder and said: "Excuse me, you're in my seat." I said to him: "Not my problem, boet [brother], I was here first." He said: "OK, you fly the plane then."  TeddyR

I can also agree with Barry ~ I was in Italy for a week in 2003 and when I got back to SA and landed at Johannesburg, I was so happy to be home (although I live in Pretoria) that I nearly hugged the customs officer.  Buggedout
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:00:19 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #434 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »

Absolutely. When a comedian is getting applause or cheering instead of laughter, it ain't funny. And if somebody has a message for the audience, it's going to be much better received if it's funny. I hate it when comedians don't just let the jokes speak for themselves. The late George Carlin is my favourite example of mine. He was hilarious throughout the 70s and 80s, and he always had a message, but he stuck to pointing out the absurdity in the customs, institutions and rules he disagreed with. By the 90s, he was still funny, but would insert serious statements of opinion, as if we couldn't understand what he was saying. And those would get applause. By the end, I just found him bitter and mean. His message was consistent all the way through, but his style went from observation and gentle mockery to venomous, contemptuous ranting. I got what he was saying either way, but it stopped being funny, and comedy has to be funny, even when it's about a serious subject that you're very passionate about.
Totally agree.  I saw a Bill Maher stand up special recently.  Mind you, I do think he's a funny guy, but there were parts of the special where it seemed less COMEDY and more "This is my opinion of the government, aren't I smart?". 

Which is why I like Lewis Black.  He does some political/religion stuff, but has actual JOKES and not just RANTS.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.