Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:49 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260360 times)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #525 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »

Adult Swim is the Scrappy Doo of the Cartoon Network.

BLASPHEMY! Except for the shameless Family Guy re-runs, oh yeah, new Family Guy sucks, but I already said that.

Basically everything sucks that is popular or becomes hyped up too much. It's great when it's new, but then everybody turns on it and looks for the next best thing until they decide that it sucks also. E.g. popular cartoons to stay current pushed the bar and became more risque. Those cartoons in turn, were dumped by the masses in favour of more offensive material and quicker and faster animation. Also at the tail end of the 1980s, melodic/glam metal had become so huge and was being rammed down eveyone's throat so much that something had to give - Grunge was the "alternative", until that itself went mainstream, became too popular and it got dropped like s**t on a spade.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #526 on: April 11, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »

BLASPHEMY! Except for the shameless Family Guy re-runs, oh yeah, new Family Guy sucks, but I already said that.

Basically everything sucks that is popular or becomes hyped up too much. It's great when it's new, but then everybody turns on it and looks for the next best thing until they decide that it sucks also. E.g. popular cartoons to stay current pushed the bar and became more risque. Those cartoons in turn, were dumped by the masses in favour of more offensive material and quicker and faster animation. Also at the tail end of the 1980s, melodic/glam metal had become so huge and was being rammed down eveyone's throat so much that something had to give - Grunge was the "alternative", until that itself went mainstream, became too popular and it got dropped like s**t on a spade.
Hence the definition of pop culture.  But I'll add in a subtext, stuff always comes back to popularity. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #527 on: April 11, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

Hence the definition of pop culture.  But I'll add in a subtext, stuff always comes back to popularity. 

True enough. 

I had noticed this about a lot of other people.  My friends in high school were all about South Park when it came out, then ditched it once the less popular kids started liking it.  They did the same with many other things.  Remember when RPG's were really, really big in the PlayStation era?  Had quite a good number of friends who played FF7 or 8, but never touched another RPG afterward (or even before). 

I'll admit: I still watch Family Guy.  Hell, I still watch South Park.  I know, though, that the former is very much past it's prime, and even Seth McFarlane is becoming less and less funny.  Ever watch Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy?  It was SM's DVD full of pop culture parodies like the ones you would see in Family Guy.  He posted quite a few of these on YouTube, and I would have to say maybe 1 in every 3 videos was actually funny.  The rest didn't even gain a smile out of me.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #528 on: April 11, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

True enough. 

I had noticed this about a lot of other people.  My friends in high school were all about South Park when it came out, then ditched it once the less popular kids started liking it.  They did the same with many other things.  Remember when RPG's were really, really big in the PlayStation era?  Had quite a good number of friends who played FF7 or 8, but never touched another RPG afterward (or even before). 

I'll admit: I still watch Family Guy.  Hell, I still watch South Park.  I know, though, that the former is very much past it's prime, and even Seth McFarlane is becoming less and less funny.  Ever watch Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy?  It was SM's DVD full of pop culture parodies like the ones you would see in Family Guy.  He posted quite a few of these on YouTube, and I would have to say maybe 1 in every 3 videos was actually funny.  The rest didn't even gain a smile out of me.
I've given up on Family Guy.  I'll watch reruns occasionally, but only of a select few episodes I really liked.

South Park, I feel, still CONSISTENTLY puts out great television.  I think part of the reason for that is they break the season apart.  Do 8 episodes in April and May, take the summer off, and do new episodes in November/December.  Plus, their computers are the ones Lucas uses for Star Wars, so they can animate an episode in one week, so they can do loads of spoofs of current news events.  Case in point: The Terri Schiavo case, Elian Gonzales, the Michael Richards "Racist' rant, etc, all worked into episodes as they happened. TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #529 on: April 11, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »

Out of all the so-called offensive cartoons, that have become more the norm nowadays, the one I still like best is The Simpsons. Granted, the last ten seasons of the show pale next to the first ten but still it's far more likely to have me laughing than Family Guy which I rarely find funny at all it seems so obsessed with shocks and perversity (although honestly it has on rare occassions made me chuckle here and there). I never liked South Park. Can't stand listening to a bunch of swearing kids in reality so why would I want to watch a show like that? Sometimes I have to admit to having enjoyed Robot Chicken in terms of parody but again it's all about the shocks. This has become so much the norm now I find I crave and prefer toons that keep it much cleaner and actually focus on having a plot I can follow.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #530 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »

Out of all the so-called offensive cartoons, that have become more the norm nowadays, the one I still like best is The Simpsons. Granted, the last ten seasons of the show pale next to the first ten but still it's far more likely to have me laughing than Family Guy which I rarely find funny at all it seems so obsessed with shocks and perversity (although honestly it has on rare occassions made me chuckle here and there). I never liked South Park. Can't stand listening to a bunch of swearing kids in reality so why would I want to watch a show like that? Sometimes I have to admit to having enjoyed Robot Chicken in terms of parody but again it's all about the shocks. This has become so much the norm now I find I crave and prefer toons that keep it much cleaner and actually focus on having a plot I can follow.
The Simpsons is classic.  Never gets old.

I dunno how old you are, but I know growing up in elementary school (not too long ago for me), we said much worse stuff on the playground than what the kids on South Park were saying.  Doing far worse things too.  Hell, in 5th grade, girls were bringing speed and coke into school.  We were 11.  So for me it works as a parody of how kids truly are (a lot of parents wanna believe their kids are angels.  Kids are bastards), as well as a parody of current events going on in the news.  But I appreciate your views on it's 'shock' humor, and I'm not saying your wrong, just stating my opinion based on experiences I had as a kid.

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #531 on: April 12, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »

I'm starting to believe the overall impact of the internet on the world is a negative rather than a positive now.  Likewise, cell phones.

And no, I'm not giving up either one.   Twirling
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #532 on: April 12, 2010, 06:42:16 AM »

I think Barack Obama is on his way to becoming the worst President of all time.  He's sure giving Jimmy Carter a run for his money!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #533 on: April 12, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »

I think Barack Obama is on his way to becoming the worst President of all time.  He's sure giving Jimmy Carter a run for his money!
I'm guessing you had never been a victim of Hurricane Katrina and Rita, when Bush promised us money for rebuilding New Orleans, but the mula never came! Hatred Hatred

yeah no.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #534 on: April 12, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »

I thought of another philosophical belief of me that's against the grain...  I don't like fertility treatments for people, especially in-vitro.  That probably goes along a bit with my misanthropic streak, but there's more to it than that.  Not saying people who use such things are bad, just something that rubs me the wrong way a little.

Bah.  I've noticed you read a good deal of US history - what about Warren G. Harding or James Buchanan?   TeddyR
Vik
« Reply #535 on: April 12, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »

I quite liked Cabin Fever.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #536 on: April 12, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »

Happy, I was only one to spout profanity as an infant, and it wasn't my fault as someone else taught me the words. As an adult and even as a kid and teenager, I never like hearing or saying profanity and the main rare occasion I'd use it would be when I banged myself up in some fashion or another. I'm a firm believer in no tolerance for profanity or disrespect of one's elders. It's how I was brought up. I just always knew it was the correct way to behave.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #537 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

I thought of another philosophical belief of me that's against the grain...  I don't like fertility treatments for people, especially in-vitro.  That probably goes along a bit with my misanthropic streak, but there's more to it than that.  Not saying people who use such things are bad, just something that rubs me the wrong way a little.

Bah.  I've noticed you read a good deal of US history - what about Warren G. Harding or James Buchanan?   TeddyR

OK, maybe I was indluging in a bit of hyperbole there - I guess I should have said the "Worst President of my lifetime."  Buchanan, Pierce, and Andrew Johnson will probably have bottom place to themselves for a long time to come, with Harding, Coolidge, and Ben Harrison directly above.  But I firmly think, in terms of foreign policy, Obama is going to be in the bottom 10 of all time!!!!!

And Bull - Louisiana got TONS of Federal Money after Katrina - much more than Galveston got for Rita.  Check the pockets of your mayor, state senators, and the Long family.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #538 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:22 PM »

Happy, I was only one to spout profanity as an infant, and it wasn't my fault as someone else taught me the words. As an adult and even as a kid and teenager, I never like hearing or saying profanity and the main rare occasion I'd use it would be when I banged myself up in some fashion or another. I'm a firm believer in no tolerance for profanity or disrespect of one's elders. It's how I was brought up. I just always knew it was the correct way to behave.
I'm very polite to my elders, mind you.  As far as profanity, I was never one personally to use it when I was in school, although the kids I hung with did use it very frequently.

Also, while I do have some respect for my elders...teachers were something different.  The b***h of a lady they called a "Teacher" that I had for 6 years was less a teacher and more a, um, well hag and that's the politest thing I can say about her...I tried to be nice but she made it quite difficult.  School in general broke me down to the point that I have absolutely no trust in ANYBODY in any capacity except in myself.

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #539 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »

Though I do agree with what you said (mostly anyhow, I love being out with the times, but then again, that's considered cool sometimes...f**k!!!). I only start to hate something I enjoy when the creators stop trying and/or throw their creativity out the window. Family Guy has become a sad parody of itself with constant 80's movie references and trying to p**s everyone off. They used to do this with a sense of charm, but now try to be callous and nihilistic about it, as if saying they're too cool for cool. That is why in the long run, Seth McFarlane failed to even touch the Simpsons or even South Park.

His only good show is American Dad.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.