Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:59 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260422 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #570 on: April 23, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »

I greatly preferred professional wrestling in the kayfabe era when they actually tried their best to pretend it was real and played it up as though it were a sport.
I like aspects of that era.

Although, myself personally, I became a fan in the mid '80s or so when it was the "Rock and Wrestling Connection" with Hogan, Piper, Savage, etc.  But then it got tiresome.  Didn't follow it as closely between '93-'96/'97.  What drew me back in was the fact that they played up being "Sports Entertainment" and admitted it was scripted.  The stuff ECW was doing, as far as doing more 'adult' stories, and the WWE with guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin, DX, and The Rock really brought me back as a fan. 

In the end, both have aspects that I like.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #571 on: April 24, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »

I like Sharon Stone.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #572 on: April 24, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »

I like Sharon Stone too in most movies more often than not although less so her last few efforts.

When it comes to today's popular remaking and revamping, I almost always still prefer the original. Even in the following cases where I sometimes think I'm a minority:

The Thing From Another World (1951) > The Thing (1982)
King Kong (1933) > any of its remakes
Island of Lost Souls > any Dr. Moreau remake
Battlestar Galactica (1970s) > 2000s BSG
Classic Doctor Who > new Doctor Who
Classic Twilight Zone > two new series
Classic Outer Limits > 90s Outer Limits
The Blob (1958) > The Blob (1988)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »

I like Sharon Stone too in most movies more often than not although less so her last few efforts.

When it comes to today's popular remaking and revamping, I almost always still prefer the original. Even in the following cases where I sometimes think I'm a minority:

I like the originals you mentioned better also. Regarding Sharon Stone, I guess it's a "guy" thing. From a woman's perspective, I used to think Mel Gibson was "hot" back in the early days. NOw I just think he is a MORON!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Jim H

« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »

Wait, most people like the new Twilight Zone and Outer Limits shows better than th eold ones?   Buggedout

That's disturbing.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #575 on: April 28, 2010, 04:37:11 AM »

I'm not real big on Earth Day.  Why designate one day to do all those nice things for the Earth?  Why not just do those all the time?  Then again, I'm about as green as a stop sign.  TongueOut
Vik
« Reply #576 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:34 AM »

^Never even heard of earth day.  Lookingup
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #577 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »

I'm a firm believer that if an entertainer of any sort says they're doing a "final tour" or "final appearance" then it should be just that. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »

I get annoyed when an artist/author blames the editors or executives when their work is crap. Sure, sometimes it is the editors/executives fiddling where they shouldn't have, but those same people usually cut out bits that would definitely harm the work. It's their job, after all, and they usually make the right call. Want proof? Go through the deleted scenes in most movies. Most of those scenes didn't contribute anything of any real substance to the movie, so they were wisely cut.
Jim H

« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

I get annoyed when an artist/author blames the editors or executives when their work is crap. Sure, sometimes it is the editors/executives fiddling where they shouldn't have, but those same people usually cut out bits that would definitely harm the work. It's their job, after all, and they usually make the right call. Want proof? Go through the deleted scenes in most movies. Most of those scenes didn't contribute anything of any real substance to the movie, so they were wisely cut.

Well, in most cases, the director works directly with the editor and usually they're agreed on deleted scenes.  When there is executive/producer interference, it's usually more serious than just deleted scenes - think things like the entire production changes, or a re-edit of the entire film, added voiceover (Blade Runner) etc. 

However, I think in a lot of cases you're right.  Some creative people seem to just go nuts and lose it when they're not reined in by editorial control.  Case in point is Frank Miller, who's comic work is much better when it's a little constrained.  Look at the early Sin City VS the later stuff, or the first Dark Knight book VS the second.  Or better yet, look at the first Matrix film VS the sequels - from what I gather, there was far more studio interference and oversight on the first film than the two sequels.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #580 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »

Other than dialogue appropriate to a particular character, I don't think there has ever been a sentence that's been improved by the addition of the meaningless adjective "f**king."  I think it makes the writer come across as stupid and unimaginative.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #581 on: May 12, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »

Other than dialogue appropriate to a particular character, I don't think there has ever been a sentence that's been improved by the addition of the meaningless adjective "f**king."  I think it makes the writer come across as stupid and unimaginative.

I abso-f**king-lutely agree with you. 100 f**king percent.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #582 on: May 12, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

Well, in most cases, the director works directly with the editor and usually they're agreed on deleted scenes.  When there is executive/producer interference, it's usually more serious than just deleted scenes - think things like the entire production changes, or a re-edit of the entire film, added voiceover (Blade Runner) etc. 

However, I think in a lot of cases you're right.  Some creative people seem to just go nuts and lose it when they're not reined in by editorial control.  Case in point is Frank Miller, who's comic work is much better when it's a little constrained.  Look at the early Sin City VS the later stuff, or the first Dark Knight book VS the second.  Or better yet, look at the first Matrix film VS the sequels - from what I gather, there was far more studio interference and oversight on the first film than the two sequels.

I always think of Gene Roddenberry. You always hear about how the suits interfered with Star Trek, but old Gene succeeded in spite of it. I say they saved him from himself. Original Trek, when Roddenberry had to constantly answer to people higher up and fight for his vision, was just about as good as the franchise got. When Trek became a phenomenon in the 70s, Paramount pretty much gave him carte blanche to come up with a new series that, after Star Wars, turned into a feature film. We got a movie that was too long, too slow, crammed with too many ideas, way too expensive and trying too hard to imitate films like 2001: A Space Odyssey. So Gene got demoted to figurehead, and we got The Wrath of Khan. And when he started taking an active role again, we got TNG, which was particularly preachy and sanctimonious, not to mention dull, when he was involved.

Actually, that in itself is going against the grain. Gene Roddenberry did some significant things for TV, movies and the SF genre in general, but he was basically a hack writer who needed supervision to keep him focused on what was important, and other more savvy people, such as Gene Coon or Harve Bennett, to make his vision of the future entertaining.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #583 on: May 12, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »

I never thought about it, but I agree for the most part.   

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Vik
« Reply #584 on: May 12, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »

I never thought about it, but I agree for the most part.   
I don't  Twirling
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.