Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:57:12 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260401 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #585 on: May 12, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »

I don't like dogs...sorry all but I figured might as well get that out there if I haven't already.  Bluesad

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:30 AM »

Other than dialogue appropriate to a particular character, I don't think there has ever been a sentence that's been improved by the addition of the meaningless adjective "f**king."  I think it makes the writer come across as stupid and unimaginative.

I never thought about it, but I agree for the most part.   
I don't  Twirling

Neither do I, for the most part, but it really depends on the situation and the person.  Some of the people I've heard in public who use "f**king" as every other word just bother me.  I see it more as a sign that someone feels more laid back or casual in their surroundings. 
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #587 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:26 AM »

I like Sharon Stone.

I do too, but I must tell you my story of what happened to her on the set of King Solomon's Mines here sometime.  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #588 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »

I personally feel Trevor's underpants aren't nearly as bad smelling as he claims they are.   TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #589 on: May 13, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »

I personally feel Trevor's underpants aren't nearly as bad smelling as he claims they are.   TeddyR

Have you been talking to my Mom, DS? Wink Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #590 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »

Other than dialogue appropriate to a particular character, I don't think there has ever been a sentence that's been improved by the addition of the meaningless adjective "f**king."  I think it makes the writer come across as stupid and unimaginative.

I don't  Twirling

Neither do I, for the most part, but it really depends on the situation and the person.  Some of the people I've heard in public who use "f**king" as every other word just bother me.  I see it more as a sign that someone feels more laid back or casual in their surroundings. 

I didn't really make it clear that I was specifically thinking about writing (message board posts, blog posts, youtube and Amazon comments, and even "serious" articles) rather than everyday speech.  There is a difference between casually saying it among a group of friends and actually taking the extra time to write it out in a sentence when it adds nothing to the meaning.  I think we should write better and more grammatically then we talk in everyday conversation. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #591 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »

I don't  Twirling

I didn't really make it clear that I was specifically thinking about writing (message board posts, blog posts, youtube and Amazon comments, and even "serious" articles) rather than everyday speech.  There is a difference between casually saying it among a group of friends and actually taking the extra time to write it out in a sentence when it adds nothing to the meaning.  I think we should write better and more grammatically then we talk in everyday conversation. 

This. I personally use it only when it's appropriate (like if I'm actually angry or if there's no other way to truly convey my feelings on the subject), but some of the characters I write do use it casually. I experimented with one character who swears casually to see what they'd sound like with a clean mouth and it just came out really unnatural and awkward for them. In that particular case casual swearing worked for them, but they're the only character in that work who really does it. It really doesn't work for most characters, and it tends to sound even worse when there's a whole group of them.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #592 on: May 16, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »

I've known too many people who toss in F words as filler, because they can talk faster than they can collect their thoughts. Clean their speech up and it would just slow and stammering and full of pauses. It's no different from saying "umm" or "like" every second word, only it sounds cooler in certain company.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #593 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:13 AM »

Thumbup

Why do they make the effort to add completely extraneous words when the tendency in 'written' communication has been toward economising on keystrokes?  That is what I cannot quite fathom.  It would seem to imply that the presence of the word in question bears some strong significance to the writer.  In which case, yes indeed it does reflect on the writer more than on the meaning.   Wink

I've known too many people who toss in F words as filler, because they can talk faster than they can collect their thoughts. Clean their speech up and it would just slow and stammering and full of pauses. It's no different from saying "umm" or "like" every second word, only it sounds cooler in certain company.

Good point.  It may 'grease' the verbal process, but in such cases surely a few thoughtful pauses might prove beneficial?   Twirling

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #594 on: May 16, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »

I don't care if a woman shaves her legs or not.  If she chooses to, that's fine, if not, no biggie. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #595 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »

I agree about f**king being filler.  The use of "like" was one of the analogies that came to my mind, except that people only use it in writing to deliberately make the speaker sound vapid.  No one would add in meaningless "likes" if they were speaking in their own voice. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #596 on: May 16, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »

Creepshow is NOT an R-rated movie, it should be a PG-13 movie.

yeah no.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #597 on: September 19, 2010, 11:13:31 AM »

Dug this thread up because I just thought of this one.  I have NEVER found The Peanuts entertaining in any form whether it be comic strip or annimated television.  I respect Mr. Schultz's lifetime work but just don't get it. 

DarkSider's Realm

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #598 on: September 19, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »

Unlike apparently a good chunk of the internet, I don't care a lick about "Talk Like a Pirate Day." Anyone who actually tries to apply it to the real world will sound like a complete idiot if they try it in a setting where no one else is doing it (eg- the majority of public and work spaces). Also, the internet killed off most of the "cool" pirates had, along with ninja, robots, monkeys, and zombies.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #599 on: September 19, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

I hate the war between Graves and Danzig of the Misfits to be total BS. They're good and lets keep it at that!

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.