Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:19 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 260428 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #660 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »

When someone says something is "awesome," I can generally take it to mean I'm going to hate it. 
I think you're awesome. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #661 on: October 06, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

When someone says something is "awesome," I can generally take it to mean I'm going to hate it. 
I think you're awesome. 

Wow, that puts me in an awkward position...   Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #662 on: October 06, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »

I think you're awesome. 

I know for a fact you secretly think you're awesomely awesome, Rev!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #663 on: October 06, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »

I think you're awesome. 

Well, awesomely awesome is a double-awesome, which according to Rev's theory, would mean he really IS awesome, and not hated at all. It's kind of like the double-negative thing.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #664 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »

I think you're awesome. 

Well, awesomely awesome is a double-awesome, which according to Rev's theory, would mean he really IS awesome, and not hated at all. It's kind of like the double-negative thing.

Maybe I messed up grammar-wise, but I meant that he thinks he is so awesome that the level at which he is awesome is awesome in its own right. Therefore both uses of awesome refer to something different.

I swear this makes sense, but in a way that is really hard to put into words.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #665 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »

I think you're awesome. 

Maybe I messed up grammar-wise, but I meant that he thinks he is so awesome that the level at which he is awesome is awesome in its own right. Therefore both uses of awesome refer to something different.

Maybe a visual aid would help. Perhaps we could someone to write a play and get a group of interpretive dancers to help explain it.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #666 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »

I'm getting to work on the awesomely awesome dance as we speak.

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #667 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »

I think you're awesome. 

Maybe a visual aid would help. Perhaps we could someone to write a play and get a group of interpretive dancers to help explain it.

Good idea, but I feel like it would just make things even more complicated. Still it's an awesome idea.   TongueOut

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #668 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »

Flick was right about the meaning of "awesomely awesome".

I remember when "awesome" first came into usage in the 1980s as part of Valley Girl lingo (along with the horrible variations like "t-totally awesome") I was sure it would die out as a fad within a couple of years.  Oops. 

Hope I have better luck with the tattoo fad, it seems like I've been waiting for it to die out for a decade.  I think when kids start seeing their moms at the beach with their lower back tattoos stretched out and distorted by their expanding waistlines they will cease to look "awesome" to the coming generation.  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #669 on: October 07, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »

Flick was right about the meaning of "awesomely awesome".

I remember when "awesome" first came into usage in the 1980s as part of Valley Girl lingo (along with the horrible variations like "t-totally awesome") I was sure it would die out as a fad within a couple of years.  Oops. 

Hope I have better luck with the tattoo fad, it seems like I've been waiting for it to die out for a decade.  I think when kids start seeing their moms at the beach with their lower back tattoos stretched out and distorted by their expanding waistlines they will cease to look "awesome" to the coming generation.  Wink

Sadly, if WalMart culture is any indication, this may not happen.

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #670 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »

Interesting note about the word awesome:

If I'm not mistaken awesome (at least according to the dictionary) does not necessarily indicate something good. It just means something awe-inspiring or wonder-causing, but people usually use in the same way as saying "cool" or "sweet".  That's not necessarily bad, but I do find it interesting.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #671 on: October 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM »

If I'm not mistaken awesome (at least according to the dictionary) does not necessarily indicate something good. It just means something awe-inspiring or wonder-causing, but people usually use in the same way as saying "cool" or "sweet".  That's not necessarily bad, but I do find it interesting.

I think that's great. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #672 on: October 08, 2010, 07:30:38 AM »

I'll admit, I use the word awesome way too much. It's fun to say!

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #673 on: October 08, 2010, 07:48:47 AM »

Seriously, if somebody wants to use a word for something huge or awe-inspiring to mean "good," I think it's GREAT.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #674 on: October 08, 2010, 07:52:11 AM »

Seriously, if somebody wants to use a word for something huge or awe-inspiring to mean "good," I think it's GREAT.

Awesome.  Thumbup

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.