Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:56 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Hall of Fame or Shame: The Music - Inductees Discussion Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Hall of Fame or Shame: The Music - Inductees Discussion Thread  (Read 79636 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 01:46:27 PM »

Twisted Sister, to me, is kind of a vastly underrated band.  Everyone says "Oh, sure, "We're Not Gonna Take It' is a good song, but that's all."  Not at all.  For reasons I'm not sure of, they're popularity seemed to wane and people got tired of em.  But now they've kinda re-energized enthusiasm with a fanbase, albeit with a Christmas cd of sorts.  But, I'm glad to see them re-emerge.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »

And, just curious, who nominated Alvin and The Chipmunks?  I like them and all (26 and have a few cd's), but nomination for a Hall of Fame? Really?

The Beach Boys join the Hall of Fame. Catchy good-natured tunes that can most easily be associated with fun in the sun and good times. Their music is also highly influential on numerous other bands IMO.

Kid Rock joins the Hall of Shame. Personally I do think he can be a good showman but his music doesn't strike me as being particularly memorable and certainly isn't what I personally consider Hall of Fame material.
I really kinda like Kid Rock.  A lot of people dont, because they don't like that he "apes" whatever is popular at the moment, going from rap, to rap/rock, to country, etc.  I think he's a bit talented, but can understand where people are coming from.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »

Sublime joins the Hall of Shame. This reggae fusion band were quite popular in the 1990s. They incorporated elements of ska, punk, reggae, dancehall, hip-hop and even acoustic rock. Along with bands like Green Day, Offspring and Rancid, helped revive interest in a more modern version of punk although they're more ska punk really. I thought they were alright myself but well, they never struck me as being all that memorable honestly. Updated Halls Page 4.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:06:44 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »

The Dave Matthews Band were quickly put to Shame. Guess I wasn't alone in my dislike for them although I understand they've actually done quite well for themselves with today's audiences.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »

The Dave Matthews Band were quickly put to Shame. Guess I wasn't alone in my dislike for them although I understand they've actually done quite well for themselves with today's audiences.
They've built a sizeable audience.  Seen them in early July, and fans were there, 40,000 strong.  I like em, as they sort of fuse a little bit of jazz, rock, hip hop, etc.  To each their own.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »

"Weird" Al Yankovic joins the Hall of Fame. I've always liked Weird Al. I remember me and my cousin playing his songs on cassette when we were kids/teenagers and cracking up to "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", "Addicted to Spuds", "Amish Paradise" and numerous other parodies. He's hilarious! And his songs are still fun and surprisingly catchy. I understand he's done some quality original material too and of course to us B-movie fans, we'll always have UHF too.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »

Al's got some quality, quality non-parody, yet very funny songs.  One such song would be the recently released CNR, a song in the style of the "Chuck Norris Facts", yet about Charles Nelson Reilly and all the amazing feats he could accomplish. Smile

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »

Daft Punk joins the Music Hall of Shame. This French electronic music duo is definitely unusual and somewhat unique what with their popular dance recordings and their robot alter egos during performances. They've also appeared in genre films like the animated film Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem and will appear in Tron: Legacy and they've had their music used in other films including The Saint, they're playable characters in the game DJ Hero and they've had their music sampled by other performers including Janet Jackson, Busta Rhymes and Kanye West. I don't terribly dislike this band, here they were just up against too good competition. Updated Halls on Page 4.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:00:23 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2010, 10:11:52 PM »

Daft Punk joins the Music Hall of Shame. This French electronic music duo is definitely unusual and somewhat unique what with their popular dance recordings and their robot alter egos during performances. They've also appeared in genre films like the animated film Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem and will appear in Tron: Legacy and they've had their music used in other films including The Saint, they're playable characters in the game DJ Hero and they've had their music sampled by other performers including Janet Jackson, Busta Rhymes and Kanye West. I don't terribly dislike this band, here they were just up against too good competition. Updated Halls on Page 4.
I didn't hate them at all.  I liked them.  But some of the other bands listed I liked more.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »

I didn't hate them at all.  I liked them.  But some of the other bands listed I liked more.

I've heard the name but I know absolutely nothing about them, never voted either for or against them.  But I do think it's hard for me to consider anyone Hall of Fame worthy if I've never knowingly heard their music!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »

I've heard the name but I know absolutely nothing about them, never voted either for or against them.  But I do think it's hard for me to consider anyone Hall of Fame worthy if I've never knowingly heard their music!

I'm sure you know a few songs.  They're a French "House" duo, one of them electronic influenced dance groups that get played at a lot of clubs and raves.  I'd say their most widely known song is this, from around 2000/2001:
"One More Time"
Small | Large

A few other songs were in some commercials and tv shows.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »

Blue Rodeo joins the Music Hall of Fame. I've been listening to Blue Rodeo since I was a kid and I don't remember ever hearing a song by them I thought was bad. Blue Rodeo is a Canadian country and pop band first formed in 1984 and they're still going strong to this day.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »

The Dead Milkmen, a satirical punk rock band from the 1980s-1990s who reunited in 2008 join the Hall of Fame. In all honesty, I haven't heard too much by them...

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »

The Dead Milkmen, a satirical punk rock band from the 1980s-1990s who reunited in 2008 join the Hall of Fame. In all honesty, I haven't heard too much by them...
I guess their 'biggest' claim to fame is the song "Punk Rock Girl", which was a relatively minor hit back in the mid '80s.  It got played on Beavis and Butt-head in the '90s and was unmercilessly mocked.  In recent times, it's been featured in some Tony Hawk games, which features a prevelence on punk music.  They had some other 'minor hits' with the songs "Taking Retards to The Zoo", "b***hin Camaro" and "If You Love Someone Set Them on Fire."  Around '87, baseball player Jim Walewander of the Detroit Tigers became a vocal fan of the band, which was featured on his baseball card.  He even invited them to a game, and the band had a brief conversation with the team's manager.  Oddly, it was this game where he hit his only major league home run.

But, the band is from my hometown, so to speak, Philadelphia, so I guess I'd say I'm a big fan of theirs, they play a bunch of shows around. Buggedout

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

I guess their 'biggest' claim to fame is the song "Punk Rock Girl", which was a relatively minor hit back in the mid '80s.  It got played on Beavis and Butt-head in the '90s and was unmercilessly mocked.  In recent times, it's been featured in some Tony Hawk games, which features a prevelence on punk music.  They had some other 'minor hits' with the songs "Taking Retards to The Zoo", "b***hin Camaro" and "If You Love Someone Set Them on Fire."  Around '87, baseball player Jim Walewander of the Detroit Tigers became a vocal fan of the band, which was featured on his baseball card.  He even invited them to a game, and the band had a brief conversation with the team's manager.  Oddly, it was this game where he hit his only major league home run.

But, the band is from my hometown, so to speak, Philadelphia, so I guess I'd say I'm a big fan of theirs, they play a bunch of shows around. Buggedout

Happy and I both liked them and no one else felt strongly about them one way or the other.  I was glad for the opportunity to bond with Happy over this cult-ish band.  Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Hall of Fame or Shame: The Music - Inductees Discussion Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.