Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:06:59 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Burnt Offerings (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Burnt Offerings (1976)  (Read 1240 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »

Small | Large

Where to begin. OKay,  I saw this movie about 25 years ago (I'm 35) and had been searching for it for years. My inquiring about it here must have been one of the earlier "What was That film " questions asked well before that board was established. A few minutes into Burnt Offerings, which has nothing to do with any offerings being burnt, I realized I had found it, the one with Mrs Alerdice. There was a woman named Mrs Alerdice on my street growing up and whenever anyone said her name I thought of this movie, mainly the last scene.

So I was going to watch it regardless, but how is it for someone who's whole life hasn't led up to the moment of acidentally reseeing it and now being able to die happy an elephant lifted from their back? It's pretty good in a dumbed down, cheap, bad acid, pea soup horror sort of way.  Karen Black is a Stepford-ish housewife, the great Oliver reed as her increasingly demented (agora-crazy a la The Shining (1980) ) husband and Bette Davis of all people is really good as the mother in law. Unlike the Shining it takes place during the summer though for reasons of plot convenience they never go anywhere (the same reason they avoid doing lots of logical things). Plot holes weren't a big issues in the 70's or rather, CONCERN for them wasn't. All sorts of weird stuff happens in the pool, everyones weird, the house is old and full of creepy pictures and everything is shot in tacky 70's soft core lighting like theres vaseline on the lense or something.

It eventually builds up a decent head of steam. If you've ever seen Warlock Moon, it's kind of like that where they obviously just rented some old house and shot everything there. I wouldn't be surpised if it was the exact same house.  

4/5 with a bit of charity for sentimentality

Now I just have to see the movie with the kid named Tump.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:44:33 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »

That house looks an awful lot like the one used in Phantasm Question

Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »

I've always meant to watch this film. It was being shown on one of the movie channels on cable recently, but I just never caught it at the right time. I saw one scene, the one where Oliver Reed's character is playing with the son in the pool and gets carried away with rough-housing and it gets a little out of control, then the follow-up scene where he confesses that he doesn't know what got into him, so I got that "The Shining" vibe from it. Looks like an interesting film and definately very 70's. And I can see the upper-class "Stepford" aspect you speak of too.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »

It was on TCM underground last week
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »

This used to be shown on commercial television quite frequently in the late 70s / early 80s.  I remember watching it a few times, but I probably haven't seen it in about 20 years.  I almost bought the DVD a few times within the last couple of years.  Maybe soon.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Burnt Offerings (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.