Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:44 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  New York City prints "How to Shoot Smack" guide... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New York City prints "How to Shoot Smack" guide...  (Read 10602 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

Yet another entry in the long list of "I couldn't make this s**t up" stories.  Apparently, the city of New York has published 17,000 of this 16 page booklet on how to do drugs in a more safe manner, with topics like, how to avoid ODing, what to do if someone else ODs, avoiding hepatitis, etc, etc.

Here's a sample graphic.

Soo.. dunno.. on the one hand, there's the argument that this will save lives and help prevent the spread of infectious disease.  There's also info in the pamphlet on resources for quitting drugs and other stuff.

On the other, is this REALLY what we need to be spending taxpayer money ($32,000)  on?  

Anyway, if you want to read the article, click here: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/heroin_for_dummies_oLIfe1Gxl7RMk9iJZiWlnL

Neatly enough, I followed the link to download a copy of the manual as a PDF file, but it had been taken down from the official nyc.gov page.

Surprisingly, there's a lot of interesting comments (pro and con) on the page featuring the article.

Example:

"If heroin was produced pharmaceutically it might make sense. But since street heroin is generally two to twelve percent heroin and 88-98 percent filler that often contains dog poop, road tar, dirt, insects, hair, quinine and other impurities, instructing addicts how to use clean syringes is akin to drinking sewage from a clean glass. These are the same health officials who expect Americans to trust them with flu shots and AZT."

"In most western countries, users are given a card with a phone number for free needles to be delivered to their house or a meeting spot. They give you free syringes, a plastic spoon, medical swabs, sterile water and instructions. They will also provide for $2, a kit to inject pills and detailed instructions on how to separate the key ingredients from the protective shell. Some countries even have safe injection clinics where a nurse will help you inject the drugs. Police are banned from arresting anyone in or near the clinics (unless dealing).

This is just standard stuff and every study shows that these programs don't increase the number of users. In fact they help reduce users because they get access to addicts offering treatment and help.

Just like the heroin assisted treatment (HAT) programs that prove giving addicts free heroin has a better success rate at getting them drug free than detox/rehab and other abstinence only programs."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:24:58 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »

While 32,000 may seem like a lot of money when compared to what it cost the state in hospital stays for drug overdoses and other complications of drug use its a drop in the bucket.

I dont see why anyone would have a problem with this. Is educating someone soooo bad?   Question   

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »

I resent the idea of tax dollars being used to educate people on how to break the law, period.  Yes, you can make arguments about health and safety, etc, but you're still spending money to teach people how to do an activity that you would lock them up for.

I mean, would you want the government to print a pamphlet on "How to Conduct Clean, Sanitary Identity Theft"?  Or "How to Be a Better Rapist"?

If an activity is illegal, then don't spend tax dollars teaching people how to do it.  Period.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »

is that why the doctors are always calm when telling the bad news?  Buggedout

yeah no.
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »

Damn it, I've been doing it wrong....
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »

Damn it, I've been doing it wrong....

Don't turn this into a joke thread, or I may have to SMACK you...

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »

Ah, screw you and the HORSE you rode in on.   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »

I resent the idea of tax dollars being used to educate people on how to break the law, period.  Yes, you can make arguments about health and safety, etc, but you're still spending money to teach people how to do an activity that you would lock them up for.

I mean, would you want the government to print a pamphlet on "How to Conduct Clean, Sanitary Identity Theft"?  Or "How to Be a Better Rapist"?

If an activity is illegal, then don't spend tax dollars teaching people how to do it.  Period.

But think about this.  If someone is addicted to heroine, they won't be able to quit very easily at all.  Many got addicted by accident and do want out.  At least the city cares enough to try and help them, instead of just letting them die from an OD or infection.  And plus, rapists and identity thieves are a lot different than heroine addicts.

Though I also think that they should spend money on trying to get more addicts into a rehab where they won't be arrested.  I have a friend who used to work with heroine addicts.  She said that the reason most of them don't go into rehab is for fear of being arrested because they bought illegal drugs.

Indianasmith, if you could have used that same taxpayer 32 grand for something else, what would it be?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »

Well, if anybody knows how to do drugs properly, it would probably be the city of New York.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTM

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »

But think about this.  If someone is addicted to heroine, they won't be able to quit very easily at all. 

Sure they can, just throw away all their comics! 

:P

Hehe... actually it's heroin.  Heroine is a female hero.  (Don't worry, I had to look that up, cause I wasn't sure.)

:)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »

Ah, screw you and the HORSE you rode in on.   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I was just NEEDLING you...

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »

But think about this.  If someone is addicted to heroine, they won't be able to quit very easily at all. 

Sure they can, just throw away all their comics! 

:P

Hehe... actually it's heroin.  Heroine is a female hero.  (Don't worry, I had to look that up, cause I wasn't sure.)

:)

Actually the British do spell "heroin" as "heroine," which causes confusion. 

Javakoala
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »

I was just NEEDLING you...

Sorry, I didn't get that. I was NODDING off. (May be obscure but we'll go with it.)
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »

Thinking about it...  I agree.  I also must admit I find it a little hard to believe that people who can't properly do heroin are going to bother reading educational pamphlets anyway.

I suspect the people behind these campaigns would rather heroin be decriminalized, but that's a distant proposition, so they do this sort of thing instead.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

is this why most cops now are corrupt? i'm used to it, here in Lovely New Orleans

yeah no.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  New York City prints "How to Shoot Smack" guide... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.