Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:31:01 PM
714239 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Karate Kid (2010) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Karate Kid (2010)  (Read 7043 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

I am a HUGE fan of the original Karate Kid.  Hell, the movie actually inspired me to take up karate for about 3 years during my childhood.  I had the action figures and if I try hard enough I bet I can find a picture of me wearing a Karate Kid shirt when I was about 10.  I can still watch that movie with the enthusiasm I had as a kid.  The movie is actually pretty violent, I mean they literally almost kill Daniel in a few scenes.  Plus it has some wonderful light hearted humor that breaks up the action.  The movie is a giant in 80s pop culture and its just awesome. 

This film is going to be one I probably will ignore.  I'm personally sick of Jayden Smith being rammed down our throats.  Jacki Chan isn't a bad cast per se.  He has the goofiness to pull it off.  However, I really am not interested in this film at all. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »

Please, please tell me this a joke or a fan trailer. (which I know its not!)

AHgrHhh ... I just threw up in my mouth a little ...

"Hollywood garbage" ... great choice of words for this one.

No joke, venom, I'm afraid. I heard about this almost a year ago. My wife used to work for a big agency in Hollywood, so she still follows the trades and knows all the Internet channels to surf and always tells me about things coming up. I don't need to see any trailers to know it's an abortion.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pilgermann

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

If I recall correctly, this was going to be called The Kung Fu Kid at one point, and it would be a little easier to forgive the filmmakers, but somewhere along the way it's changed back to The Karate Kid.  What I think is pretty funny is that recently I saw an info sheet about it from the studio and not once was the word "karate" mentioned in the synopsis, but it did mention "kung fu" three times...

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »

Against my better judgment, I saw this yesterday and I found it to be reasonably entertaining (but completely unnecessary as it is a very close copy of the original).  Jaden Smith's constant mugging at the camera gets pretty old after about 15 minutes, but if you can deal with that the rest of the movie is pretty harmless.  And I've always enjoyed Jackie Chan.  Of course, I saw it at CHUNKY'S cinema pub and I was drinking 22 ounce beers during the movie, so maybe that helped . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
voltron

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »

I hate to sound racist, but casting that Smith kid is just plain wrong and is a good example of modern society's gutless PC leanings. Anyone who would pay to see this cinematic slop should be beaten. I also wish death on Will Smith and his family. OK, that was pretty harsh, but still.... Hatred

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
The Burgomaster

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »

Actually, this movie is no worse than 90% of what's been in theaters over the past 12 months.  It just has the perception of being worse because it's a remake and Will Smith's kid is in it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »

If they really wanted to update this film-shouldn't it be The MMA Kid?

BounceGiggle

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »

I'm kinda insulted by this film. I've taken karate for some time and it seems very wrong to me that they would remake a movie about karate and not have it about karate, thats Bulls**t. Thats like remaking the Longest yard and having it be about soccer. I've heard good things about the film, critics say its great but I have some questions. One why is a black mother and son moving to china? Why change the mentors name to Han (oh thats right because its in freaking china, not Japan) Why is this not called the Kung-fu kid?
God I hate remakes where they don't care about the source material.

Smells like popcorn and shame
The Burgomaster

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »

One why is a black mother and son moving to china?

The company she works for transfers here there. 

Hammock Rider

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »

One of the producers, Jerry Something-Or-Other, was pitching how this version of the story is much bigger than the original. Part of what made the original great was that it was a small story about two people finding and helping each other and becoming real friends. I mean, beyond all the fun Cobra-Kai strutting and William Zabka and Elizabeth Shue and "Johhny get him a body bag!" and all the quaint 80's stuff, that was the heart of the story. It's hard for me to consider any re-make anything more than a pale, money grubbing  "re-imagination"

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:45:45 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
dean

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »

Actually, since I have no burning desire to see this: Is there Cobra Kai in this movie?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Karate Kid (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.