Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:09 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The House With Laughing Windows « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The House With Laughing Windows  (Read 3067 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:13 AM »

An artist named Stefano has relocated to a small Italian village to restore a rather gruesome painting in a church. The artist was know as "the painter of agony" - he liked to capture people in their death throes and has left some bizarre voice recordings on a reel to reel. Soon, Stefano begins to receive creepy phone calls telling him not to touch the painting, and some of the villagers begin to act suspiciously. Long story short, Stefano finds himself in the middle of a series of murders, which he intends to get to the bottom of. I'll stop right there cause I don't want to give out any spoilers, but this film was incredible. Absolutely beautifully shot and directed - for a movie made in 1976, the dvd version looks like it was shot yesterday. I highly reccomend this film to anyone who has a taste for Italian horror cinema.  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  I'm a big fan of Italian shockers like this one (giallo and even "pseudo-giallo").  I have almost purchased this several times and now you've encouraged me to go ahead and buy it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »

here's my review:

the debut feature for my new DVD / vcr combo player. What a big deal huh?  The thing is pretty good. okay..

This movie is kind of like a vacation to Italy in that it takes place in a quaint Italian village and it's pace is like that of soccer, a popular sport there. That is, it's SLOW. I liked this better than soccer though. A guy goes to a town to study or restore I can't remember some fresco by a deceased local painter. Besides this particular man's s**tty paintings the scenery is beautiful. You've got your nice little quiet town with a river and an old church and long grass all authentic and shot well and featured prominently. The lead actor is handsome with a cool beard and his girlfriend is pretty, something italians NEVER miss leading me to guess there are alot of pretty girls there. Immediately the guy notices the town is really weird. At the funeral of one of his friends the church helper guy goes "I put a live animal in his coffin, to keep him company!" hey thanks man. 

The movie is 110 minutes long and the pace is glacial but it always does keep you hanging in there somehow. It's a must see for Giallo fans obviously.  I have to admit that in the end I probably would prefer something more "devil's nightmare" ish with a lot of nudity and gore and quicker to the point.  I mean, the plot and tension is okay but not exactly Hitchcock worthy, so you have to ask yourself if this giallo is really playing to the strengths of the genre. 3.75/ 5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »

Sounds really familiar, like I might have seen it about 20 years ago.  I should check it out again, especially if the DVD looks good.  Sometimes if the atmosphere is good enough, I can tolerate and even enjoy a glacial pace.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

here's my review:

the debut feature for my new DVD / vcr combo player. What a big deal huh?  The thing is pretty good. okay..

This movie is kind of like a vacation to Italy in that it takes place in a quaint Italian village and it's pace is like that of soccer, a popular sport there. That is, it's SLOW. I liked this better than soccer though. A guy goes to a town to study or restore I can't remember some fresco by a deceased local painter. Besides this particular man's s**tty paintings the scenery is beautiful. You've got your nice little quiet town with a river and an old church and long grass all authentic and shot well and featured prominently. The lead actor is handsome with a cool beard and his girlfriend is pretty, something italians NEVER miss leading me to guess there are alot of pretty girls there. Immediately the guy notices the town is really weird. At the funeral of one of his friends the church helper guy goes "I put a live animal in his coffin, to keep him company!" hey thanks man. 

The movie is 110 minutes long and the pace is glacial but it always does keep you hanging in there somehow. It's a must see for Giallo fans obviously.  I have to admit that in the end I probably would prefer something more "devil's nightmare" ish with a lot of nudity and gore and quicker to the point.  I mean, the plot and tension is okay but not exactly Hitchcock worthy, so you have to ask yourself if this giallo is really playing to the strengths of the genre. 3.75/ 5

That's funny. A lot of Europeans say that American football seems boring to them. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »

Well, I don't think movies should seek to emulate a soccer games pace regardless. 
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »

As long as the movie isn't "nil - nil" after 90 minutes . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The House With Laughing Windows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.