Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:57:56 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Progressive music « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Progressive music  (Read 6140 times)
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 10, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »

Does anybody here listen to any progressive music, like prog rock or prog metal? What do you like about it and why? Just curious since I am a prog fan myself.

Action fighter: "I wouldn't turn your back on me if I was you".
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »

I'm a big fan of older prog rock, especially King Crimson and old Pink Floyd.  There's more emphasis on muscianship, innovation/experimentation and composition.  King Crimson could write suites that lastest for 30 minutes, switched from a medieval sound to a jazz sound to a symphonic sound to a crushing rock sound, but always seemed to be a single connected piece.  It was quite remarkable and I don't know of any rock bands today which can manage the same kind of feat.

Today I like some of the post-rock/math rock bands, like Don Caballero, but I'm by no means an expert in the area.  No idea really what passes for prog rock these days.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:14:13 AM »

I'm a big fan of older prog rock, especially King Crimson and old Pink Floyd.  There's more emphasis on muscianship, innovation/experimentation and composition.  King Crimson could write suites that lastest for 30 minutes, switched from a medieval sound to a jazz sound to a symphonic sound to a crushing rock sound, but always seemed to be a single connected piece.  It was quite remarkable and I don't know of any rock bands today which can manage the same kind of feat.

Today I like some of the post-rock/math rock bands, like Don Caballero, but I'm by no means an expert in the area.  No idea really what passes for prog rock these days.     
Think MARILLION.   Wink

Actually, REV, you said it for me too, I still love KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD, but lost it for YES, never liked GABRIEL-era GENESIS (not a comment upon PETER GABRIEL's solo output) nor RENAISSANCE, and long over ELP or JETHRO TULL... but what qualifies as Prog?  It's at least debatable, and I love bands like LED ZEPPELIN, ROXY MUSIC, SUPERTRAMP... it seems to me all bands, for just a moment there, strove to be "progressive" (well, except maybe THE STOOGES or MC5...)

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:39:43 AM »

I'm a big fan of prog rock - Pink Floyd, Rush, Asia, Yes, I'd probably toss Boston and Kansas in there as well.  Some really powerful melodies / hooks, excellent musicianship, complex song structures that made it interesting as well as emotional, and the lyrics actually meant something.  Plus a huge affection for my memories of the '70s and '80s.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »

I mainly know it via the german krautrock stuff like popul vuh, can and so forth.

the avant garde record store I go to here in Boston twisted village has a progressive section.

Robert Pollard from Guided By Voices, probably my all time favorite band, once noted that alot of good musical style begin with P: pop, punk, pycschedelic, prog
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

Think MARILLION.   Wink

Actually, REV, you said it for me too, I still love KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD, but lost it for YES, never liked GABRIEL-era GENESIS (not a comment upon PETER GABRIEL's solo output) nor RENAISSANCE, and long over ELP or JETHRO TULL... but what qualifies as Prog?  It's at least debatable, and I love bands like LED ZEPPELIN, ROXY MUSIC, SUPERTRAMP... it seems to me all bands, for just a moment there, strove to be "progressive" (well, except maybe THE STOOGES or MC5...)

I'm thinking MARILLION... but I'm coming up blank because I never heard of them. 

Never liked Yes, liked Gabriel's Genesis OK (not so much Collins'), ELP had their moments.  I actually still like Tull, though I admit they could lay it on a little thick (as a brick)...  Had my flirtations with Rush when I was a teenager, they are one I got over.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »

Goblin, Rush...personally I absolutey HATE Drean Theatre - all tecnique but pretentious bulls**t.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »

I love Genesis, Yes, Kansas, Watchtower, Fates Warning and Queensryche. It's not a style that I'm really a big fan of though. I find a lot of older prog rock to be very drawn out and self indulgent and for example, with Queensryche, I'd take their earlier 80s stuff over the later 90-00s records any day.

personally I absolutey HATE Drean Theatre - all tecnique but pretentious bulls**t.

I agree. I've never liked them, but then I've never liked Rush either even though I have a ton of respect for them.

Zarcal-TB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

I'm thinking MARILLION... but I'm coming up blank because I never heard of them. 

Just Look up the song Neverland on Youtube (busy at work now). Perferably the "marbles on the road version"

That is probably definitive of their prog sound however they do venture into power pop(rock) more these days than not.. A good(??) reputation is hard to live down.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »

Huh!  Question

Zarcal-TB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »

I was quoting the guy above.. but obviously my forum skill are not very good :)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »

I was quoting the guy above.. but obviously my forum skill are not very good :)

Ah, all becomes clear.....my bad.  TeddyR

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »

Prog is a very delicate genre for me.  If it's done right, it's absolutely fantastic.  When it's not, it's boring and/or pretentious.  It's the same for me with power metal. 

You can imagine how anal I am about power-prog. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:00:56 AM »

Prog is a very delicate genre for me.  If it's done right, it's absolutely fantastic.  When it's not, it's boring and/or pretentious.

I can appreciate that sentiment.

I like prog rock. Rush, Floyd, Zeppelin, Tull would be my favourites, by the strictest definition of the genre. I also like a few bands that might be progressive, depending on who you ask. Somebody mentioned Supertramp. I sometimes use "album rock" as a more all-encompassing term. That's not exactly what album rock means, but it's descriptive of the era and the style I would most closely associate with prog rock - those days when bands needed to experiment, and music was written and enjoyed by the album.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:23:29 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »

SUPERTRAMP Breakfast In America   

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Progressive music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.