Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:49 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)  (Read 3313 times)
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »

Has anyone else seen this yet?  I just went to it this afternoon and I really liked it.  I've been a fan of Gilliam for a while now (ever since I saw Brazil) so I was really looking forward to this.

The plot?  That's a little hard to explain.  It's hard to decide where to begin.  Basically it's this man  named Dr. Parnassus who (SPOILERS)

used to be a monk, has some sweet powers, made a deal with the devil, and is an alcoholic.  I don't really know how I can explain it further without just writing a whole damn plot synopsis.

(/SPOILERS)

Anyway, it IS Heath Ledger's last movie, but he isn't really in it much.  I was pretty tired when I watched this, (and am pretty tired now) but I honestly didn't really notice when it changed from Ledger to Depp and the other guys who replaced him.  (Jude Law and.....?)

This probably makes this movie sound pretty pathetic, but I really do suggest going to go see it.  I just hope that the Last Heath Ledger Movie will draw in some crowds so Gilliam can get some money and FINALLY finish The Man Who Killed Don Quixote .
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »

yeah, i've seen it  Cheers

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »

I'm hoping to see it next week. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »

The only reason that I would like to see this is because of what Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp did with their salaries for the film ~ they put them in trust for Mathilda Ledger, Heath's daughter.  Smile Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »

The title reminds me too much of MR. MAGORIUM'S WONDER EMPORIUM.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:52:27 PM »

The title reminds me too much of MR. MAGORIUM'S WONDER EMPORIUM.

That's what I thought at first, but it's not even close to anything like Mr. Magorium.
dean

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »

Great film with some sweet visuals.  It reminds me of why I love Gilliam's visual style and concept art.  Waites does a good job too as the Devil. 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

Saw this last night. I had heard this was supposed to be a return to form for Gilliam, and I have to say, it reminded me an awful lot of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. One thing that surprised me....

SPOILER ALERT

....was Ledger's character. It sets it up for him to be redeemed, only to reveal him as an irrideemable prick later on. We have a character played by not one but four leading male actors who turns out to be the villain. Obviously it would have had a much different ending had Ledger lived. I was also struck by the paralells between Gilliam and Parnassus, both showmen who find it increasingly difficult to present fantasies to an increasingly cynical, skeptical and technologically advanced society.

SPOILER END

As someone who loves weird movies (your mileage may vary), I was very impressed. Go see it in the theatres while you have a chance.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

I thought it was good, not great.  If you love Gilliam fantasies it will give you the fix you need, but I wouldn't rank it alongside MUNCHAUSEN or TIME BANDITS.  Visuals were a lot of fun and Waits was very good. 

Obviously it would have had a much different ending had Ledger lived.

I would say possibly, not obviously. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.