Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:14:14 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My visit to the fish hatchery « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My visit to the fish hatchery  (Read 2311 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »

Hey guys, as some of you might remember, I took a trip to Branson, MO with my parents back to December.  This is my LJ post about one of the places I visited-a fish hatchery.  It was rather interesting, so I thought I'd post about it for those who might want to read it.  It's a bit longish, though, so be warned.  

I read about it from a "Places to Visit In Branson (For Free)" website and thought it actually sounded neat, mainly because I wanted to see the really big fish in the aquariums.  The first part of the hatchery was a small building with some information signs, with some pretty dry info.  Then, near the back they had several aquariums, but the ones that normally contained the big fish were empty.  The glass bore a note saying the fish had been moved because of the weather.

Nearby though was an aquarium with two turtles inside, one large and the other about medium sized.  The turtles were neat to look at, although the younger one had me somewhat concerned.  You see, the aquarium was half full with water and they had several layers of rocks set up where, on the left side, a turtle could easily crawl out of the water and climb to the right, reaching almost to the top of the aquarium lights.  Well, there was a small gap between the rocks and the glass of the aquarium, and the younger turtle, swimming in the water, was paddling up against the glass, head poked out, seemingly straining to get out of the water.  Well, there was no way to get out of the water from that section, we'd have to turn around and climb out from the left side.  I just hope the fellow figured this out before he got exhausted and drowned.

Hopefully that's unlikely to occur, but I have no idea how intelligent turtles are...

Turtle Power!

Out back was where all the hatchery sections were kept.

There were about a dozen wide trenches filled with water and covered with curved steel bars on rollers (which, I assume they move when they want to take all the fish out.)  Between the bars, they strung a tennis court like net, which, according to the sign, was to keep nearby birds from swooping down and snatching the fish out of the water.  On the far end of the trenches was some kind of air cycling system, and the other side was a uncovered area where the biggest fish tended to be kept.

Another neat thing is they had vending machines (constructed oddly similar to wooden birdhouses) where, for a quarter, you could buy a small amount of fish food.  Having read about this on the website, I knew to have mom bring some zip lock bags along, so we wouldn't have to keep running back and forth for more pellets.

Now, obviously, this is mainly a gimmick just to make a little extra money on the side, as people (kids especially) like feeding the fish.  It was kind of funny to toss in a small handful of food and see all the fish practically jumping out of the water to snap it up.  These guys definitely weren't behaving quite the way fish in nature would behave around humans, in fact, at one point a full legion of them were "following" us as we walked along the pit.  

Tossing in a handful of fish pellets sent these guys into a mad dash for food.

Anyway, it was an interesting stop, although I was a bit disappointed by the aquarium selections (for starters, I thought there'd be MORE aquariums.)  Also, with the dark water and the overcast sky, we couldn't see the fish too well.  Course, I suppose had it been a nice, summer day the place would have SMELLED a lot more ripe than it did.  Still, I thought it was definitely worth the time.

Neat fact: it takes 1,500 pounds of fish food to feed all the fish for ONE DAY.

Oh, forgot to mention, outside the hatchery there was a small resting area with some plants and whatnot.  Among other thing, they had these weird looking purple plants everywhere.  No idea what they were (I think there was a sign somewhere with that information, but I forgot to take note of it.)

Seriously, what the heck are those?  Looks like something that should be
deep in the ocean somewhere...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:22:01 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »

Cool stuff.  I've been to a few of these in the past and find them fascinating.  You have to hand it to these folks for keeping our ponds/rivers well stocked. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »

The first part of the hatchery was a small building with some information signs, with some pretty dry info.  Then, near the back they had several aquariums, but the ones that normally contained the big fish were empty.  The glass bore a note saying the fish had been moved because of the weather.

Wait, where the tanks inside or outside?  Isn't the point of having aquariums to keep fish around so you can see them whenever?  And if it too cold for fish I think it would be too cold for turtles.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »

We have an indoor fish hatchery here in my town.  Though you'd never know by looking at the building.  It's situated right next to a huge factory and looks like a gigantic warehouse.
I applied for a job there years ago but didn't get hired.
During the interview, the manager took me on a tour of the place.  It was pretty cool!
BTM

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »

The first part of the hatchery was a small building with some information signs, with some pretty dry info.  Then, near the back they had several aquariums, but the ones that normally contained the big fish were empty.  The glass bore a note saying the fish had been moved because of the weather.

Wait, where the tanks inside or outside?  Isn't the point of having aquariums to keep fish around so you can see them whenever?  And if it too cold for fish I think it would be too cold for turtles.

They had some aquariums inside the building.  Now that you mention, I'm really not sure WHY the larger fish weren't in their aquariums, that's just what the sign said.  Course, the aquariums where right next to the windows, so maybe it was easier to put them in the (presumably) heated trenches outside than it was to keep them in the office area. 

Like I said, I'm not really sure what the deal was with that, I didn't really think to ask... Question

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:30 PM »

Oh, I love fish hatcheries. Always have and always will. When I was younger and driving around the country, everytime I saw a directional sign pointing to a fish hatchery, I make it a point to visit the hatchery. Basically, not only was it interesting to view the fish, but because it was free, except for the fish food. And I enjoyed feeding the fish, too, and watching their antics as I feed them.
BTM

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:02:43 AM »

Oh, yeah, another thing I forgot to mention... they should some pictures of a guy "gathering" fish eggs from a fish.  Man, that was gross!  The eggs were all orange and slimy looking...

(shudders)

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My visit to the fish hatchery « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.