Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:20 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS (2008)  (Read 2082 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 18, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »

This movie teaches us nothing new about the Nazis or the Holocaust, but I liked it anyway.  Some critics said it would have worked better as a short story rather than a feature length film, but I thought it worked just fine at a lean running time of just over 90 minutes. 

The plot involves an 8 year old boy named Bruno whose father is a German officer.  The father gets a promotion and is assigned to oversee a concentration camp.  Bruno doesn't understand what the Nazi Party stands for and ends up secretly befriending an 8 year old Jewish boy named Shmuel who is a prisoner in the camp.  They spend a small amount of time each day talking to each other through the electrified barbed wire fence.

Most of the brutal treatment of the Jews is kept offscreen (but what you don't see may be more unsettling than if you did see it).  Rupert Friend is scary as Lietenant Kotler, a staunch Nazi who terrifies Bruno.

Check it out if you have a chance.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »

I thought the acting by the boys was fantastic. The ending is heartbreaking.  Bluesad

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

I saw it, and I liked it. I know there were some complaints that the Nazis weren't portrayed as the evil scum-sucking slime like the way they are normally portrayed, but I think it works better, more frightening, to see them portrayed as basically normal people with families, who did terrible, terrible things.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.