Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:48:17 AM
714152 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Don't go in the Woods Alone (1981) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Don't go in the Woods Alone (1981)  (Read 2759 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »

Can't think of too many movies I've seen that belong here more than this one.  

Small | Large

This isn't a movie, its fools on a holiday with a camera in the Sequoia National Forest or some other park.  It's amazing to me that they actually promoted this with a straight face and people paid to see it.  Like "The Forest" it's filmed in a forest for a cheap, relatively interesting location but this makes The Forest look like an Oscar nominee.  and it wasn't.  at all.  

The most immediate indication that there is a serious problem is the DUBBING. Yes, it's in English but for some reason it appears that director had the actors dub the dialogue in.  I can't imagine why he did that other than he was too cheap to procure a microphone or didn't have a sound person.  The camera work is shaky.  It's not scary at all.  Let's just cut to the chase: It's really nothing more than a brazen attempt to cash in on the then hot slasher genre and is unwatchable to everyone but only the most ardent bad movie fetishists though they will probably enjoy it.

I did like when there wasn't dialogue and it would show someone wandering around the forest while this blippy sort of electronic music played.  That was okay.  and the two goofy looking girls actually became strangely appealing after a while.  There are a few slapsticky comic moments that I guess work.

I'm not some normal guy.  I gave Viva 5 stars.  I gave Succubus the demon whatever 5 stars.  ME telling you this is cheap and ridiculous means it's REALLY cheap and REALLY ridiculous.  I'd say check out Winter Beast or even The Forest instead.

Print is very good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:32:34 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »

I have wanted to see this for a long time.  Based on your comments, now I REALLY want to see it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »

lol I knew that would happen. the more stern a warning I issued the more people would want to see it.  I stand by my relative condemnation.  It's a travesty and is as bad as any Italian movie I can think of
claws
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »

One of the greatest, cheesiest bad Slashers ever made. Love it  Thumbup
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »

I have wanted to see this for a long time.  Based on your comments, now I REALLY want to see it.

Don't listen to him, Burgo. It's awfulness at its best. Just don't watch thinking you'll see ANYTHING of merit, and you'll be fine.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »

I'll have to check this out too  TeddyR  A lot of times they dub those movies because even though it looks like they're out in the middle of the woods, they're only a hundred yards from a freeway or something.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »

lol I knew that would happen. the more stern a warning I issued the more people would want to see it.  I stand by my relative condemnation.  It's a travesty and is as bad as any Italian movie I can think of
Having just sat thru BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE (a film some people apparently enjoy the badness of) I thought I understood where you were coming from, some bad movies aren't BAD in any kind of GOOD way.  But why pick on Italian movies?  Sure, there's plenty of bad ones, even plenty of greatly bad ones, but there are also many, many good ones, and even GREAT Italian movies.  
I'm perplexed.   Question  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »

lol I knew that would happen. the more stern a warning I issued the more people would want to see it.  I stand by my relative condemnation.  It's a travesty and is as bad as any Italian movie I can think of
Having just sat thru BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE (a film some people apparently enjoy the badness of) I thought I understood where you were coming from, some bad movies aren't BAD in any kind of GOOD way.  But why pick on Italian movies?  Sure, there's plenty of bad ones, even plenty of greatly bad ones, but there are also many, many good ones, and even GREAT Italian movies.  

I'm sure there is a political reason.

And for those checking out this thread. A lot of cheap movies don't have sound equipment available, so they do most of the sound post-production. Just thought that might help explain this silly film.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

I'm sure there is a political reason.
Question

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:46:06 AM »

I'm sure Lester was talking about giallo when he mentioned Italian films.  Of course there are great films from Italy, such as the ones by Bernardo Bertolucci, Frederico Fellini, Michaelangelo Antonioni, Sergio Leone, etc.  I would have to agree with him about the giallo genre; most giallo aren't that great.

BTW, Don't Go In The Woods Alone is pretty damn awful.  I remember as a wee lad the VHS cover used to scare me (depicting a woman being beheaded, which I don't think happened in the film).  It's amateurish and stupid.  But the song over the credits is so inane that you can't help but crack up.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »

Allhallowsday and others- I was definately not talking about giallo and yes there are many wonderful and great Italian movies.  I was thinking of stuff like "Karzan, the Jungle Lord" and other of the really really cheap Italian movies .  NO diss on italian movies in general they just have a sub genre of utter malarky that is pretty hard to go below.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »

Allhallowsday and others- I was definately not talking about giallo and yes there are many wonderful and great Italian movies.  I was thinking of stuff like "Karzan, the Jungle Lord" and other of the really really cheap Italian movies .  NO diss on italian movies in general they just have a sub genre of utter malarky that is pretty hard to go below.
Maybe you haven't seen a lot of the Mexican or Philippine malarky.   Wink

Paquita

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »

I did like when there wasn't dialogue and it would show someone wandering around the forest while this blippy sort of electronic music played.  That was okay.  and the two goofy looking girls actually became strangely appealing after a while.  There are a few slapsticky comic moments that I guess work.

I almost forgot I saw this movie!  I liked the Sasquatch guy!  Or whatever he was.  I remember thinking "Whoa! Those are 2 of the most crunchy granola tree hugging girls I've ever seen in a movie!"  Normally with these forest slasher movies, the girls are all clean shaven and short-shorted and tight shirted, but you know darn well in real life they'd be covered with insects and have a rash up to their necks.  Sure, they may have been acting like defensless campers, but I know these girls were feral! I could hear the wind rustle in their pit hair and smell their musk through the TV!  Man.. if I was that Sasquatch guy, I wouldn't mess with those gals!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

Oops!  I thought I figured ya out Lester!  Ya threw me a curve!  Sorry bout that.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Don't go in the Woods Alone (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.