Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:28:56 AM
714198 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Laughing at Inappropriate Times « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Laughing at Inappropriate Times  (Read 18286 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 18, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »

I'm sure we've all done this. You're sitting in a crowded theatre, or watching a video with other people, the scene you're watching is dead serious, but something in it tickles you. And the fact that laughing will make you look like an a***ole only makes it harder to resist.

I can think of a couple right away.

Watching Star Trek: Generations, Picard is discussing his only blood relations burning to death. There's a moment when he tries to speak, but he's so overcome with sobbing, he can't get the words out. It looks funny as hell, and it caught me totally off guard the first time I saw it. So, theatre full of people silently glued to the screen, and suddenly there's a burst of giggling that everyone can hear.

The other one was not embarrassing, because only one other person was there, and he laughed too. It was maybe 20 years ago, watching a VHS of Dirty Harry with a friend, and it gets to the part where the killer, wearing a red ski mask, gets stabbed in the leg. He turns around screaming, his eyes wide open, and his mouth in a big "O." We lost it immediately. I mean, he looked like nothing less than an insane hot dog.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
hellbilly
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »

Unbreakable: when the kid pulls the gun on Bruce Willis in the kitchen.

House of Sand and Fog: Ben Kingsley's big dramatic moment when his son died (I think it was his son). Kingsley was on his knees overwhelmed by grief screaming his pain. I thought it was the funniest thing ever.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »

When THE EXORCIST: THE VERSION YOU'VE NEVER SEEN was released to theaters a few years ago, several people kept laughing whenever Linda Blair's character let out a string of profanity.  These were the sames scenes that scared the hell out of people when they saw the movie during the 1970s.  Now people laugh at them.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Cthulhu

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »

I laugh when the national anthem is playing.
You know, when everyone is standing dead serious and singing, I just have to giggle.

Then again, I'm not the only one.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

Unbreakable: when the kid pulls the gun on Bruce Willis in the kitchen.

When I was saw that movie in the theater, the entire audience was laughing at that scene. And not in a good way.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »

I laughed in the theater during Titanic when the ship was going down and one of the people pinged off one of the boilers. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »

I laughed in the theater during Titanic when the ship was going down and one of the people pinged off one of the boilers. 

Small | Large

No, it's not real, but it's funny.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:50:06 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

I laughed at Batman's voice in The Dark Knight all the way through. People in the cinema thought I was absolutely stark raving bonkers! The only other time was when I saw The Phantom Menace with my dad. We thought every scene (barring Darth Maul's) was an abomination...

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »

Same here!

I fell over laughing at the end of Final Destination 2, where the barbecued hand falls on the mom's plate.  A bunch of teens in the audience stared at me and didn't know what to think.  TeddyR

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »

I fell over laughing at the end of Final Destination 2, where the barbecued hand falls on the mom's plate.  A bunch of teens in the audience stared at me and didn't know what to think.  TeddyR

Ummmm...wasn't that MEANT to be funny? I almost peed my pants laughing at that.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »

I'm sure it's happened more, but the most recent one I can remember is during AVATAR.  Right after the giant tree where all the blue cat people live is destroyed.  The main girl cat person's father is found dead.  She starts wailing in saddness, and I couldn't help but laugh.  It just seemed goofy to me.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

I can't help but laugh during the scene in Gladiator when he finds his family dead.. I feel all sad, and then a chicken walks by in the background, and I crack up.. everybody I know thinks I'm a horrible person for this, but it's so funny.

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:53 PM »

I was with about five or six friends and we were watching Silence of the Lambs.  When Hannibal said his line about eating the census takers liver I laughed like crazy.  One other person laughed, and the others just stared.

I mean, that line was hilarious.  How can someone not find that funny? Question
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:16 PM »

I was with about five or six friends and we were watching Silence of the Lambs.  When Hannibal said his line about eating the census takers liver I laughed like crazy.  One other person laughed, and the others just stared.

I mean, that line was hilarious.  How can someone not find that funny? Question

Back when that came out, my best friend and I went into hysterics at Buffalo Bill's delivery of "Put the f**king lotion in the basket!" For a long time after that, we could start each other snickering by doing impressions of that line.

---------------------
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 05:24:27 AM »

Ummmm...wasn't that MEANT to be funny? I almost peed my pants laughing at that.

I thought so, that's why I laughed.  Nobody else did.. screw them.

Another funny Silence Of The Lambs exchange that I laughed at (and hardly anyone else in the theater did):

Hannibal Lecter: Tell me, Senator: did you nurse Catherine yourself?
Senator Ruth Martin: What?
Hannibal Lecter: Did you breast-feed her?
Paul Krendler: Now wait a minute...
Senator Ruth Martin: Yes, I did.
Hannibal Lecter: Toughened your nipples, didn't it?
Paul Krendler: You son of a b***h!
Hannibal Lecter: Amputate a man's leg and he can still feel it tickling. Tell me, mum, when your little girl is on the slab, where will it tickle you?
Senator Ruth Martin: Take this... *thing* back to Baltimore!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Laughing at Inappropriate Times « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.