Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:31 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Stab-proof vests for the world cup. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stab-proof vests for the world cup.  (Read 4820 times)
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« on: January 18, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »

I'm curious what trevor thinks about this.

South Africa condemns World Cup stab-vests 

Officials say the stab-vests might draw attention to those wearing them
South Africa's authorities have condemned a London-based company which wants to sell stab-vests to visiting football fans during the World Cup.

The national police says the company was causing "unnecessary fear".

South Africa's football boss Kirsten Nematandani has assured visitors that all safety measures were in place.

South Africa has one of the world's highest rates of violent crimes but the authorities say they will tighten security for the tournament.

Protektorvest, which currently sells its merchandise online, says there is a "high demand" for protective clothing and claim the stab-vests which cost close to $70 (£43) are the "No 1 personal protection for the World Cup 2010".

Fans can add their national flag to the vest, or slogans such as "Free hugs" or "Ole".

Protektorvest owner Sascha Cutura denied that the company was saying South Africa was unsafe.

"We fulfil a need from security-conscious people," he told the BBC.

'Out of order'

Mr Nematandani chastised the company's owners and called for them to be "condemned by their own country's officials".

"These people are out of order… we've never heard of such measures being taken before and there surely is no need for it," he said, South Africa's Times newspaper reports.

According to their website, the company plans to open offices near South Africa's OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg for the duration of the World Cup.

Mr Cutura said this is where the company hopes to sell most of its vests.

The BBC's Pumza Fihlani in Johannesburg says security officers usually advise foreign travellers to guard against "standing out".

She says tourists wearing stab-vests at football matches or on sight-seeing trips may attract more attention to themselves - potentially increasing their chances of being attacked.

Mr Cutura pointed out that the vests could also be worn underneath clothes to avoid attracting too much attention.

Fan groups in England have also condemned the vests.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »

Thanks, flackbait.

This story has just broken here and broken me too.

These guys are a bunch of anti-South African morons ~ not only are they morons, they can't even spell the word 'protector' correctly. Their company is called PROTEKTOR VEST.  Hatred

I am proud that the World Cup is coming to my country ~ as a proud African, even though I'm as white as a sheet, I am thrilled. But idiots like this make me want to puke and I think I might puke. All over them. That's far more than they deserve.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »

I just had another thought: the London Olympics is in 2012, right? I'll set up a website then which allows people to buy suits of armour for those games ~ see how they like that.  Twirling

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:01 AM »

Thanks, flackbait.

This story has just broken here and broken me too.

These guys are a bunch of anti-South African morons ~ not only are they morons, they can't even spell the word 'protector' correctly. Their company is called PROTEKTOR VEST.  Hatred

I am proud that the World Cup is coming to my country ~ as a proud African, even though I'm as white as a sheet, I am thrilled. But idiots like this make me want to puke and I think I might puke. All over them. That's far more than they deserve.
Sorry to hear this offends your pride in your country. I doubt this will make you feel any better but I have a feeling these guys really are just looking to make a quick buck and probably have little against your homeland. My guess is their disjointed reasoning goes something along the lines of: South Africa is known for a high crime rate therefore we can make a ton of money selling a BS product to overly paraniod fans. The stupidity of the whole idea is that some of the most terrible events surrounding world sporting events happened in some of the more secure countries of the world. For example the 72 Munich games where a bunch of Israeli athletes were killed by terrorists.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »

I just joined their community at www.protektorvest.com* and gave them a rocket up the backside for their anti-South African stance.

Oh well, I guess I'll have my account banned ~ there's a first time for everything.  Lookingup

* See what I said? They can't spell!  TeddyR

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »

Fan groups in England have also condemned the vests.

Well, it will make it harder for the England fans to actually stab people...

Have no doubt, South Africa will put on a great wolrd cup, but it is my fellow countrymen that will spoil it.

Jim H

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »

I dunno...  With the way people act at major sporting events, wearing armor (regardless of the country) doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 01:15:57 AM »

Can I say this loud and clear: the only protection you will need at the Soccer World Cup are condoms if you intend to have intercourse with someone while here. Stab vests are not needed.  Smile

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »

I have to admit I'm not a fan of soccer.  Aka standard American faire  TeddyR.  But honestly, I have to say soccer fans seem twice as rabid as any football fan in America.  IOW, they scare the hell out of me.  I was in an Irish pub once to pick up food and the yells and jeers coming out of the bar due to the soccer game they were watching was epic.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Stab-proof vests for the world cup. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.