Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:06:11 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kids on Leashes?? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kids on Leashes??  (Read 6021 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »

I understand the importance of holding hands, but there are some situations where I feel she shouldn't be glued to my side and she should be allowed to run a little and explore.

When we lived in the city I took my eldest to the park 4-5 times a week.  He was allowed to run 'free' but I was never more than a few steps away (even at top speed!)  If you are close enough to start with, a toddler cannot outrun you - mind you it is awfully amusing to watch them try!

You and your little one will be fine.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Cthulhu

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

I'm not a parent either, but to me, this leash thing seems wrong.
You have a good point though, you're trying to keep your kid safe, but there are other ways to do that. Others have already wrote down a few.
It's your call.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

My mother told me that she constantly had to use one of those leashes on me when I was a little boy.
She had to because I would go up to anybody.  As soon as she wasn't looking, I'd be up and gone.  Then she'd find me walking up to total strangers and saying "Hi", or whatever else I was saying back then.
She told me that one time at Kmart I was right there by her side.  She looked away for not even a minute and when she looked back I was gone.  She found me two aisles over talking to some old lady.

I’ve heard the argument that it’s humiliating to a child to be leashed.  Well, I just don’t agree that children under the age of 5 have the same sense of humility that adults do…

You're right.
I had absolutely no memory of my mother using that leash on me. 
Even after she told me years later that she used one, I still had no memory of it.  And no humiliating memories of her using it, either.

I say do whatever works best for you.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:18:49 PM by Ash » Logged
3mnkids

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »

I never used a leash on any of mine. I dont have the hatred for leashes that some do but do find them kind of silly. My kids were allowed to walk around freely, with me right on their ass   TeddyR   you do whatever you think is best for your family. As far as someone saying something to you about it... tell them to shove it. I cant stand it when nosey people(usually childless) tell me how to raise, handle, or discipline my children. Its a pet peeve.  Hatred

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:22:20 PM »

I never used a leash on any of mine. I dont have the hatred for leashes that some do but do find them kind of silly. My kids were allowed to walk around freely, with me right on their ass   TeddyR   you do whatever you think is best for your family. As far as someone saying something to you about it... tell them to shove it. I cant stand it when nosey people(usually childless) tell me how to raise, handle, or discipline my children. Its a pet peeve.  Hatred
I'm right there with you.  The people who have tried to give me advice are usually either A.) childless or B.) have no f'n clue how to handle their own kids.  I usually turn into a prick when people start giving me advice about parenthood so that shuts them down usually. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:06 PM »

In my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with them.  They serve an obvious, practical safety function.  The only negative is appearances, because they look superficially like you're treating the child as a pet.  It's only an issue for adult observers who have an emotional reaction to the imagery; it's a benefit to the kid.  Well, unless the kid's 14 or 15...  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

I think it depends on the kid.  Arianna is a really easy one, we taught her to hold hands or keep one hand on the stroller or cart at all times.   But she is a natural rule follower.  She has little friends who not only need leashes, but kennels.  One of them is into everything, climbs everything and doesn't listen.  Some (or maybe most)of that is parenting, but he needs one in my book.   I think if it keeps them safe, then its a real option.   
Paquita, Maybe if your kid starts to show a needs, THEN get one, maybe you don't need to pre-emptively leash.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »

My daughter did go through a period of trying to pull away and walk on her own, but she's mostly been good that way. We had the monkey around for maybe a year, when she was at that stage of being too big to stay in the stroller, and not quite mature enough to comprehend why we have rules. It was used almost entirely in crowd situations, where she might get separated from us and not be all that easy to catch. This was especially true in places like the zoo, where she needed to be able to run around a bit and check things out, but stay safely linked to one of us. She liked it fine, and it was a useful tool under those circumstances. That's where the perception is kind of misleading. The leash wasn't tying her down. It was giving her more freedom than she'd have in a stroller or holding Mom or Dad's hand. She had greater mobility, greater autonomy and two free hands.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Javakoala
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »

I think if you use it the way you intend, Paquita, you are making a valid choice until she understands she should not wander away from you. Once you both understand what your limits are, you may find you wouldn't use the thing again.

Of course, I've seen some kids that should be leashed around the neck and repeatedly choked, but I would tend to think you are a better parent than the ones I'm referring to.
Paquita

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »

She had to because I would go up to anybody.  As soon as she wasn't looking, I'd be up and gone.  Then she'd find me walking up to total strangers and saying "Hi", or whatever else I was saying back then.

My daughter is a lot like that! I swear she likes strangers more than her own family, especially men and blonde women.  She tried to climb up on a very large man's lap at a furniture store about a month ago.  Of course I was with her, and she was doing her usual "entertain a stranger" routine, singing and dancing and all, but I never expected her to go attempt to mount him like a horse!  Another reason for my paranoia about taking her out.. she makes too many "friends"!

If you are close enough to start with, a toddler cannot outrun you - mind you it is awfully amusing to watch them try!

Newt, I think you're a stronger person than I am!  My daughter has already learned to point and say "What's that!?" to get me to turn my head so she can do something she's not supposed to. I'm catching on though!

I think *I* need the leash!  Seriously, I really feel it's more for my sense of security than hers.  Since she has started walking, we haven't really been anywhere other than places like a Target where we decided to let her walk on her own.  Once I get comfortable with the idea and have assured myself that I can handle her, I probably won't need it at all.

tell them to shove it. I cant stand it when nosey people(usually childless) tell me how to raise, handle, or discipline my children. Its a pet peeve.  Hatred

HA!  You are one tough cookie! I'll try that and let you know if I get a bloody nose.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the support and the different views.. even this one:
It's a kid not a dog !  My wife I and have hated those things since they first appeared in the 80's.   

TeddyR
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

your call

yeah no.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kids on Leashes?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.